Virtual Date Games - Betsy

Complete and totally free games (the author can request a non-obligatory financial contribution in thanks or to help him to create new game)

Re: Virtual Date Games - Betsy

Postby EscapeEvade » Mon, 16Jun27 02:40

kiljaedan wrote:Hmm there is 1 point missing in the walkthrough and i have done everything as you mentioned so it is left out

Agreed. Same problem for me.
EscapeEvade
lagoon predator

sex: Masculine

Postby Hoboy » Mon, 16Jun27 03:38

Funny - I payed as a male and followed it exactly and got the 4-some. I'd have to look through how all the points are captured (file by file) to see where a point (of the 41 confidence for Betsy) is being missed. Unless an April or Violet encounter is being missed, that is. Did everyone having problems play as a female?
Hoboy
lagoon predator

Postby montybet » Mon, 16Jun27 05:27

Serge wrote:
montybet wrote:
Chaotic_VDG wrote:Glad to see so many people enjoying the game!

The full walkthrough is now on my site for those who need it.
http://www.vdategames.com/walkbetsy.html

Serge wrote:Bugs found in version 1. 0 (not exhaustive, I have not finished exploring the game)

bowl23b.html Talk to Betsy instead of enter the class

drink61b.html Sit on the see saw with Betsy instead of drink62.html

drink62.html Bad font color

April12.html date2_1.html instead of day2_1.html

pool33.html Bad font color

pool42.html Enter the men's locker room instead of enter the class

pool46.html poolcheck4.html instead of pool47.html

pool49.html poolcheck5.html instead of pool50.html

pool50b.html pool51.html instead of pool52.html and reciprocally

Thank you. I'll add those corrections to the next update.

What are the love-confidence requirements for Betsy getting the role and the foursome? I got 119-40 following the walkthrough as a female and didn't got it

Did you tutor April? Did you have 2 clue from violet to know her secret love?, did you fuck Betsy at school?

I tutored April.
I got Violete about to say she likes April and caught April spying on Violet (Are those the 2?) so that acomplished to make them kiss in the prom party.
And yes sex in sachoold happened.
Maybe a caché problem, i'll make good use of Ccleaner.

Edit: Look what an ungrateful person I am. Thanks Chaotic for a good game :D
montybet
great white shark

Postby Hoboy » Mon, 16Jun27 06:00

As long as April showed up right after Violet was about to say who it was in the cafeteria then yes - you should have had the points. Again - playing as female or male? I have not run through as a female yet...the walkthrough may not account for differences in the paths...

EDIT - actually it is still a missed point for Betsy's confidence, as if April and Violet kissed at the prom then all their points are there. Betsy still needs 41 to get the part in the play, so there is still a missed point there
Last edited by Hoboy on Thu, 16Jun30 00:17, edited 1 time in total.
Hoboy
lagoon predator

Postby bing6541 » Mon, 16Jun27 12:49

I got 41 points in Firefox, but only 40 points in Chrome. Unfortunately, I didn't notice where the missed point occurred.
bing6541
great white shark

Postby karrek » Mon, 16Jun27 13:45

I followed the walkthrough and it worked for both male and female.
karrek
lagoon predator

Postby jaques » Mon, 16Jun27 13:55

I followed the walkthrough as female and did not get a successful ending - got everything else leading up to it (school sex, Violet and April together) but the ending still had Betsy not take the lead role in the play.
jaques
Pilot fish

Postby Serge » Mon, 16Jun27 15:28

To Chaotic :

All bugs are are there : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3824&p=99395#p99395

Suggestion :

Home25.html you can choose :
Bowling sounds fun. Just the two of us.
Actually, I wanted to buy you some clothes.
Let's meet up with Violet. That's always fun.

The only way to reach the good endings is meet Violet but if you do so you can't go to store and you can't reach nice pics in ending.

So i think it a good way to modify Drink63a/drink63b/Drink63c and add an option to go store.
Something like : Are stores closed yet?
Serge
Great Master of corals

Postby TheGreatJoeGargery » Mon, 16Jun27 17:19

Instead of only one "good" path through the game what I would have liked to have seen is the ability to do different things on different days where you have to get to a certain amount of points to progress to the next tier of dates. So on day one you could pick to go bowling, but just going bowling alone wouldn't have enough points to progress to the next tier, even if you do it perfectly, so the next day you have the option of buying her clothes or hanging out with Violet. Then, when you get enough points, you get the option of the nightclub date, the pool date or the stay at home date. The hanging out with Violet date would give you enough points on it's own to progress if you do it right, or if you miss a few points then you have to do another date. Then when you get enough points the photo shoot date becomes available. You can put a limit of 3 dates before you have to progress to the photo shoot or lose the game, so basically you can choose one date not on the "good ending path" and play it, and perhaps get a bonus scene at the end for the one "other" date you select, but only if you beat the game.
TheGreatJoeGargery
lagoon predator

Postby tlaero » Thu, 16Jun30 05:54

I played Betsy tonight and enjoyed it. I liked that it was about a real relationship instead of a "meet, say nice things, and have sex." I also liked that the characters had distinct personalities. I really liked that, even when you didn't do well enough to have sex, it had a good ending. It was cool that there was an overriding goal besides getting into Betsy's pants.

You really desperately need to compress the images though. The download is 750M, but should be more like 100. In the Adventure Creator distribution there's a tool called jpgConv that will bulk convert your images if you want. Use quality level 60 or 70 and they'll be about 1/10 the size, but you won't be able to see any difference. If you need any help running it, don't hesitate to ask.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby Serge » Thu, 16Jun30 06:43

New bug found :

school42b.html bestydaring instead of bestydaringy
Serge
Great Master of corals

Postby TheGreatJoeGargery » Thu, 16Jun30 16:33

tlaero wrote:I played Betsy tonight and enjoyed it. I liked that it was about a real relationship instead of a "meet, say nice things, and have sex." I also liked that the characters had distinct personalities. I really liked that, even when you didn't do well enough to have sex, it had a good ending. It was cool that there was an overriding goal besides getting into Betsy's pants. Tlaero

I'm about to say something really unpopular which many on here, especially game developers, probably aren't going to like. As a player, for me there is nothing wrong with the "meet, say nice things, and have sex" type of games. In fact, under most circumstances, it is preferable to a more complex story and often times makes a better game. I like games where the player has a sense of agency and can make choices which impact the game. The tendency is that the more complex the story, the less agency the player has. There is also a tendency for a complex story to make the player a side character in the story with someone else as the focus. A story that is too complex or a game that is too story driven can get in its own way.

When making games in the (broadly defined) erotic genre, I think you have to start by asking yourself what your premise is. For this genre your premise will often center around a fantasy. For example, this game is essentially "corrupting a good girl" fantasy. What the player will want from the game is an exploration of that fantasy. A story line that is too linear doesn't give you much to explore and is a little boring for the player. In Betsy, we weren't really the protagonist, Betsy was. The game was about her getting the part in the play. If she gets it we "win", if not we "lose". The story is just pulling us along for the ride, we are never the driving force of the story. If we're good and help Betsy out then we're rewarded with a sex scene at the end.

Now if we really wanted to explore the fantasy of corrupting a good girl we could shift the role of protagonist to us and give us the agency to make an impact in the game. First thing would be to take away Betsy getting a part in the play to be the winning criteria. It could still drive the story but not necessarily be the ending. Then we look at what the possible outcomes are from our perspective. Betsy learning to be confident (and what the means for us) is what is driving the player. So we can then look at what happens if Betsy is confident. Well, first she can not be confident and we can fail in our task (but still have a relationship so we kind of win too). There could be an ending or two revolving around this. The second is that Betsy could be confident but different things could happen. Betsy goes through an arc and is changed by the experience. Perhaps she takes the part in the play. Perhaps something happened along the way where she no longer wants the part, but instead wants to do something else. Perhaps you end up being too good in your job and Betsy finds you boring and meets someone else. There could be multiple endings based on all of these experiences.

The second part is the progression through the game. Right now there is a single path. You have to pick the right dates to progress. But what could be done is allow all the date options and have multiple nights where you go out on dates. As Betsy gets more confident, more options open up on each date. So if you go to the nightclub first, it may not be so wild an experience but if you go later in the game where Betsy is more confident, then it opens up a whole lot more options for what could happen. The options also don't have to be all good for the player, there could be some landmines thrown in too. If you take Betsy to the nightclub and she's really confident and if you pick the wrong choices, then she could start dancing with someone else and break up with you for being too boring for example. Or she could decide that the play is just too short sighted a goal for her and jumps a bus to Hollywood without you, leaving you a note. The photoshoot could be moved to the middle of the game and divide the game into two parts. There could be pre-confident Betsy before the photo shoot and post confident Betsy after the photo shoot. Once you go on enough dates and get enough confidence points for Betsy then the photo shoot happens. After the photo shoot you could still go on the remaining dates with confident Betsy (who is still getting used to being confident) but also run the risk of something bad happening. There could also be the reward of extra sex scenes during these post photo shoot dates. Then the player can decide if they want to save the boring dates until later like going bowling just to be safe or take the chance and save the nightclub date until the end. This way I actually get to explore the "corrupting the good girl fantasy" the game hooked me into playing by promising me.

So watering down the story by changing it from "help Betsy get the part in the play she wants" to just "help Betsy be confident" takes off some of the shackles that the game puts on the player. As the player I get to fully explore the fantasy the game promises instead of following along a rigid story and being told at the end "Betsy is now sexually confident, here's a single sex scene as an example of how confident she is" and then we end the game . That's like playing a first person shooter, making it through the training missions, and then the game ends and tells you "you go on to kill all the enemies and saved the day. Congratulations!" Of course I would not be expecting all of the above from a free game, but if Betsy was a paid game that is what I would want from it. I gave an example earlier on in this thread regarding how we could add some player agency that would be appropriate for a free game.

In conclusion, story is far from the most important thing in erotic games. A good story may actually hinder a game and prevent it from becoming a good game. I do agree with you about the characters though. Well written characters are probably the most important part of these types of games. They are far more important than the story. I should feel bad about keep bringing this up in all my posts, but Date Ariane is probably one of the best games ever made in this genre and it had absolutely no story. It was a "meet, say nice things, have sex" type of game. It had a very well written main character and provided the player with a fantasy of "you are going on a date with a cool, sexy girl where anything could happen" and it delivered on that fantasy. Good things could happen. Bad things could happen. But at the same time Ariane had a distinct personality and specific limits and an internal logic on how to get her to do what. The player spending all game interacting with a well written character is far more fun and engaging for the player than following a well written, linear story.

What I'm not saying is that story is completely unimportant. If a good story can be added to a game that does not impede it then great. I'm saying that story is not the most important part of a game and at times this needs to be taken into account to make better games that players want to play. Different mediums have different sayings to offer guidance to people working in them. Movies have the "show, don't tell" saying. I think a guideline for writing these type of games may be to "write the fantasy, not the story".
TheGreatJoeGargery
lagoon predator

Postby Köpi » Thu, 16Jun30 19:08

I completly disagree. I like deep stories and I don't play these games just to play as many sex scenes as possible. In my opinion this is chaotics best work. I love the challenge and I love to start over to max the outcome. The only thing I was missing in this game were some savepoints.

Graphics aren't that important for me. I love playing aif games and there are mostly no graphics at all, there is everything about the story and the fantasy, but I enjoy games with graphics too. Only games with bad graphics are a mood killer.
Köpi
great white shark

Postby Maurice » Thu, 16Jun30 20:14

@ ThegreatJoeGargery

I really like your analysis about what a good game should contain.
I also value agency a lot.
But I do feel you have to decide if you are evaluating an art or a craft.

Right at the border between a game and a book is a visual Novel.
I have not played this game yet, but I do believe it leans towards the visual novel.

In this commentary you appear to appreciate games more than visual novels. So a tendency to be critical at the lack of agency in the game is only to be expected.
I think your point of view is perfectly legitimate. But i have my doubts it warrants the harsh points of (constructive) criticism you give.

If the game is considered a craft, then unevocably yes.
I for myself consider it more of an art. And then your criticism is not very to the point.

The point being the thing that the artist is trying to convey.
That doesn't necessarily has to be a sexual fantasy at all.
It can also be a sexual fantasy with certain constraints. You don't have to like the constraints. But saying that it would be a better game without them is saying you think a game would be better with less intentional and more accidental parts. If you take away the intentional parts then what is left is no longer a work of art (a thing the creator wants to convey) but has become a craft (a thing the player wants to consume).

I think your feedback is very valuable to Chaotic for keeping tabs on what his audiance wants.
But I disagree on the points you make in your criticism sofar as them leading to a better game. Because that is (primarily) dependent on what the creator intends to convey.
Maurice
sirens hunter

Postby TheGreatJoeGargery » Thu, 16Jun30 20:53

Köpi wrote:I completly disagree. I like deep stories and I don't play these games just to play as many sex scenes as possible. In my opinion this is chaotics best work. I love the challenge and I love to start over to max the outcome. The only thing I was missing in this game were some savepoints.

Graphics aren't that important for me. I love playing aif games and there are mostly no graphics at all, there is everything about the story and the fantasy, but I enjoy games with graphics too. Only games with bad graphics are a mood killer.

From what I read (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that you enjoy good stories. I enjoy good stories too. What we need to remember is how those stories are told varies depending on what medium they are told in. Movies tell stories visually. Novels tell them descriptively. Games tell them interactively. You could have the best story in the world but if you make a movie where a narrator reads you the story the entire time then you have a bad movie. You still have a good story though, just the way you are telling it is inappropriate in the medium you have chosen to tell it in.

I'm not saying that a good story will always drag down a game. What I'm saying is that the story has to accommodate the medium it is presented in. A good story could very much elevate a game. What we need to remember though is that a game is to be played. We need to be given choices and consequences to those choices and if a story is interfering with that then the story needs to change to accommodate the game. The game should not be limited to accommodate the story. We may not have to change a good story idea we have for a game, but we may need to change how the story is told and most importantly experienced by the player.

Talking from a player's perspective I believe that when making a game the first question a developer should ask themself is "What do I want the player to experience?" The game should then be crafted around that central premise. Sometimes a story may be important to providing that experience. Sometimes a story is not necessary at all. If you do need a story, think about how to tell that story. If your story drags around the player and impedes them in making choices for the sake of telling the story then your story (or the way you're telling the story) may not be appropriate for the game. If you still want to tell that story then perhaps you can change the way it's told. You may want to break your story up into smaller segments for an example. Instead of telling one overarching story, maybe you can make a bunch of short stories instead. Then the player can connect the story themselves by their choices. Making a selection in one smaller story may put you on the path of another small story, and so on and so forth. Or you can find a completely different way of telling a story.

Most writers in this genre learn their craft from other mediums. They watch movies or read books, and go from there. I think many video game writers may want to consider challenging themselves in how they tell stories and start experimenting and inventing ways to tell the stories they want to tell which best suits an interactive medium. I think that will be important in progressing this particular genre.
Last edited by TheGreatJoeGargery on Thu, 16Jun30 21:35, edited 4 times in total.
TheGreatJoeGargery
lagoon predator

PreviousNext

Return to Free sexy games