The Science of Lust - project

These games are not complete and/or can be totally or partially reserved for paying members. Open a thread in this section is reserved for active members, read the rules before submit a game.

The Science of Lust - project

Postby Mortze » Mon, 19May27 21:58

Hello folks,

We are Mortze and iksanabot. Some of you may already know us, or one of us, but for those who don't we're erotic game developers. Mortze deals with 3d art mostly while iksanabot is a writer, and now a coder too. Up until recently Mortze teamed up with Tlaero, making successful games like Dreaming with Elsa, Redemption for Jessika, Finding Miranda, Saving Chloe and Darkness Falls, as wells as coming to Grips with Christine and Pandora. During that period, iksanabot wrote several successful games at Lesson of Passion like Living with Temptation, the first Living with Temptation expansion: Wife Gone Wilder, Living with Temptation 2: Foreign Affairs and Seducing the Throne. That's our resume.

When Tlaero had to leave the team with Mortze, iksanabot was prompt to step in as the writer and coder for a new project. Iksanabot still works for Lesson of Passion, but as a fan and friend of Tlaero and Mortze, he put aside some extra time to explore this new creative collaboration. We discussed thoroughly what type of game we should make. One thing was clear, we couldn't make the same games that Tlaero and Mortze made because those games had a great deal of Tlaero's creative identity, and as a team, we have got to write and make the game we both feel happy and motivated to do. So we compromised for something a little more out of the niche that Tlaero and Mortze were into. We imagined a game with a story, gameplay, and characters somewhat broader to try to reach a bigger audience without hurting any of our most profound convictions.

The Science of Lust is the product of that introspection. It is a game about life, perhaps love, choices and consequences, respect and good heart, and also about lust and sex.
We decided to make a small introduction, a proof-of-concept of sorts to show our patrons and the public what we are embarking on. We hope that it will be a game that pleases many people, in many senses of the word.

This isn't a first episode; this isn't a finished game; we dare to say that this can't be considered a game at all. Consider it a pilot, a test. Play through it and let us know about its merits (if any) and suggestions. Iksanabot has some specific questions he’d like to read comments on: Your favorite and least favorite character, scene, line of dialogue, and image.

If we go ahead with this, the game will most certainly be a public one, free-to-play, released in the usual forums. Patrons will get releases first, and will have a say on how we will develop it. For example, which characters to focus on, which fetishes to explore (there will not be incest or rape). We will post the first Patron-only poll next week, which will guide what content goes into the first full episode. In this way, our supporters not only make the game possible, they guide its development.

Here's the link to our Patreon page, where the game is posted for the public (https://www.patreon.com/tora/posts). Please play it, and if you feel so inclined, support us to make both of us continue making this into a game. Perhaps spend a little time telling us about your thoughts about the project.

As a final word on this post, and because this is a selling pitch in all honesty, both of us, Mortze and iksanabot, have already built reputations in making ero games. Those who know us may like or dislike us but at the very least, we have shown that we can finish games. This is a critical moment in the development of this game – we need support to work on it. Iksanabot has a full time job, and already also works for Lesson of Passion. The support has to come, or we cannot make this game.

Have fun!

Tora Productions

PC and Linux: http://www.mediafire.com/file/a8ml3r4j0035rur/ScienceOfLust-0.1-pc.zip/file
MAC: http://www.mediafire.com/file/gll0dkphavpbl97/ScienceOfLust-0.1-mac.zip/file
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

sex: Masculine

Re: The Science of Lust - project

Postby HeyChief » Tue, 19May28 07:04

Mortze, this looks like an nother winner for you. I will let you know my finial call when I finish the demo Take care.
HeyChief
HeyChief
lagoon predator

Postby redle » Tue, 19May28 23:50

Happy to see you guys continuing to develop.

I'm just going to jump right to points I feel could be changed to improve the game (some are quite possibly personal preferences).
1. The game is a VN and it is done in ren'py. (Not actually mentioning this as a pro or con. I only mention it because it is important information that I could not seem to find mentioned in the OP.)
2. Many VNs display the speaker's name every time dialog is shown. This certainly helps with name recognition. It can be especially important when the game is produced in a many-release cycle (or someone simply saves and returns later to play). I return some time later and do not recall who is whom and then the game prompts with questions like, "Do you want to follow Mary or Jane?." Um... I don't know. I want to follow the one on the left. I don't recall which is which and the game has not reminded me since my load point (or I missed who was Mary in the 1 and only time her name has appeared in the text so far).
3. I can appreciate the fact that, at least so far, it is not a trivia game. That said, I never like being prompted with a question that has a correct answer and yet not be allowed to give the correct answer. At the very beginning of the game we are prompted with a class question from the teacher. To begin we actually are not told the question. So the fact we must ask for the question to be repeated or give some other meaningless answer I do not mind so much (it is not great, but not terrible either). But just a few moments after, we are presented with both the question and the answer in game and then prompted again. At this point not being allowed to give the correct answer is just frustrating/annoying. As soon as you provide a prompt you are involving "me" the player. Trivia prompted to the player is on the player's head not the character's. If the game wants to say the main character does not know something, that is fine. Simply tell the story the same as the rest of all the dialog. Let it be said that the character is asked again and once again fails to answer correctly, but do not prompt.
4. Although it happens frequently in VNs, not showing the question and player options at the same time is a poor design. Far too often a screen contains 2 buttons, one labeled "yes" and one labeled "no" (or any other ambiguous prompts when seen on their own) with no other text on the screen. The question should remain on screen. One can enable rollback and scroll back to see questions for clarification. So there is a workaround, but that does not make it ideal.
5. Ambiguous wording: "Hi, would you mind helping me with an exercise?" In truth, responding "yes" means "I would mind helping you and so do not plan to do so." It is true that people in daily speech commonly ignore the "mind helping" part of the question and answer the question as though it said, "will you help me with an exercise?" It is impossible to know which way the question is intended within the game prior to making a choice. I don't have a problem with either usage scenario when it falls within part of the storied dialog. The following sentences or events will clarify. But any time a question is a direct prompt to the reader it should not be ambiguously worded.
6. There seems to be a delay when advancing text. What I mean is: read text; click to advance; new image displays; wait 1-2 seconds; new text shows up (it seems to be intentionally programmed in that way, not actually just some latency/lag issue). I'm not sure about others, but I often click when there is no text to read or I am done with the current text. The pause is long enough that I often mentally decide the game is waiting on me and so I click only to have text pop up right as I am clicking. My click then advances me to the next screen (meaning I missed 1 set of dialog). I assume this is being done because of the fact that parts of images are often hidden by the text and so the player is given a "full view" for a second before having the overlay. So this one is a trade-off question. I won't suggest which is better between the two, but did want to make sure the down-side of the current method is known.
redle
star of the reef

Postby iksanabot » Wed, 19May29 15:36

@HeyChief - hi, nice to see you and thanks for the kind words!

@redle, thanks for your very contructive, well thought out criticism. I am taking all this advice to heart; it wil be fixed in the first episode. I will note two things here.

redle wrote:That said, I never like being prompted with a question that has a correct answer and yet not be allowed to give the correct answer.

I see your point. I did a poor job writing this part because it wasn't supposed to be a triva type thing. The correct answer was supposed to be impossible for the MC to know, because he was not paying attention and did not hear the question each time. The second question was different from teh first question (but I did not make that clear). So, the option was not about giving the player a trivia question, it was about giving the player a chance to be polite/sincere, honest but irreverant, or a smart-ass. Again, I see that I did not make that clear, and will try to fix it in the full episode.

redle wrote:6. There seems to be a delay when advancing text.

Yeah, I feel like an idiot there. It was a last minute thing that I did, and I didn't give myself a chance to play it through a bunch more times with a fresh look to see if I liked it or not. I just wanted to give Mortze's beautiful images a little time to be admired before the textbox blocked it. But I have often had the same complaint about games that do that - accidentally clicking through the dialogue just as the textbox appears. I have two ways I'm going to address this in the full episode. First, I am going to try to remove the text box and use a font for the dialogue that makes it stand out well enough that the faded out box is not necessary. Second, I will use the text delay only in very rare cases where I feel that the image deserves to be admired, and in those cases, I'll have the text appear from a click, rather than after a set delay, so that the player can never accidentally click the dialogue away.
iksanabot
star of the reef

Postby MaxCarna » Thu, 19May30 04:52

Hi iksanabot

I wasn't properly connecting "Living with Temptation" with the Lesson of Passion Gold series. I really liked all LOP games available on Playforceone, Gold is like their's premium series, that must be really big, congratulations.

I avoided to say some things on the other forum to don't make a mess on your topic, but some users deserved acid answers to their stupid comments. Like the guy saying that Tlaero's main characters had no personality.

But I guess that what some users are complaining is exactly one of the features that I like on Tlaero's stories, she usually give more emphasis on the female character that the main character is interested in. This works very nice for me, probably also works for the majority of Tora's players. In the other forum there are many different type of players, some of them appreciate really bizarre things, exotic at least. I believe that you guys can filter some feedbacks. The dominant males they say sounds to me like the ones on those "harem" style games. Nothing against the style, but I don't think it is Tora's game's style.

I didn't mention before some feedback on the appearance:
- I also found that there is something wrong about Lily's appearance, she seems to same some skin disease.
- MC's dick has something strange, don't know if is a variation of Dicktator from Renderotica. I like "Easy Control" because it keep all maps from Daz, seems more natural.
- Sarah's head seems strange on the classroom, like it is too flat. But she seems fine on the individual picture.

Apart from those points, I was really impressed how the Mortze produced so many pictures so fast. Never imagined to see a prototype of this size so soon.

There are some minor things related to RenPy that I believe other users addressed well. I can't pointing anything strange in the text.

Above all, congratulations for this work, it definitely showed that you two started that partnership at full speed.
MaxCarna
star of the reef

Postby moskys » Thu, 19May30 15:45

iksanabot wrote:
redle wrote:6. There seems to be a delay when advancing text.

Yeah, I feel like an idiot there. It was a last minute thing that I did, and I didn't give myself a chance to play it through a bunch more times with a fresh look to see if I liked it or not. I just wanted to give Mortze's beautiful images a little time to be admired before the textbox blocked it. But I have often had the same complaint about games that do that - accidentally clicking through the dialogue just as the textbox appears. I have two ways I'm going to address this in the full episode. First, I am going to try to remove the text box and use a font for the dialogue that makes it stand out well enough that the faded out box is not necessary. Second, I will use the text delay only in very rare cases where I feel that the image deserves to be admired, and in those cases, I'll have the text appear from a click, rather than after a set delay, so that the player can never accidentally click the dialogue away.

That would definitely be a great improvement [img]images/icones/icon7.gif[/img]

I'm not worried about 'female characterization' because I understand right now Tora is a whole new thing. Every writter has his/her own style and it's not fair to compare them. Some people would like this new approach more than Tlaero's and some others will walk away, but that's only natural. In my case, I like Tora games for the overall stories, not just for the way the characters were built. Obviously that kind of female point of view was a nice plus but not a driven force for me. So as long as there are some captivating and well written story without weird fetishes, I'm ok with it.
moskys
lagoon predator

Postby ErikHolland » Mon, 20Apr13 12:16

Will you two still be using the https://www.patreon.com/tora ?
Or will you start a new Patreon?

Thanks
ErikHolland
Pilot fish

Postby tlaero » Tue, 20Apr14 05:18

Same patreon location. And we have a discord now too. https://discord.gg/wTqzXSV
You don't need to be a patron to join us on discord. Stop by and say hi. Mortze and I are there frequently.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby MaxCarna » Tue, 20Apr14 13:12

tlaero wrote:Same patreon location. And we have a discord now too. https://discord.gg/wTqzXSV
You don't need to be a patron to join us on discord. Stop by and say hi. Mortze and I are there frequently.

Tlaero

That's great, I'm joining right now!
MaxCarna
star of the reef

Return to Other sexy games