IRay: Grainy pictures

Tips, techniques and tutorials about creation tools.

Re: IRay: Grainy pictures

Postby MaxCarna » Mon, 18Feb05 02:02

Mortze,

The scene is now much more similar to the Ghost Light scene, but the render time didn't improve: 9 minutes 34.12 seconds

MaxCarna
star of the reef

sex: Masculine

Postby Mortze » Mon, 18Feb05 14:25

Thank you Max.
It's enough for me to spend more money at DAZ and try that Ghost Light Kit. :)
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby Mortze » Tue, 18Feb06 15:49

I just tried the Ghost Light Kit and DAMN, it took 1/4 of the time to render a scene.
I doubt this product is good for dramatic lighting, and one should always KNOW how lighting works with spotlights, but this product is awesome for interiors with windows and for lamps.

Of course it doesn't have the versatility of a mesh spotlight and time saving should never be put ahead of technique learning, but it's a really useful tool when you need to do many pictures of a scene.

Thanks again MaxCarna.
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby MaxCarna » Tue, 18Feb06 20:50

You are welcome, my friend

You ended up helping me, setting the test scenario, I speed up my understand of this product.

One day you will surrender to "Batch Render" hehehe Is the best product from all time for me.
MaxCarna
star of the reef

Postby Mortze » Tue, 18Feb06 22:07

MaxCarna wrote:One day you will surrender to "Batch Render" hehehe Is the best product from all time for me.

Not going to happen. I acknowledge that product is great for someone who has 200 pictures to render for a 10 second animation but I don't need it for the time being. And I can't sleep well or leave the house with the computer working.
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby yahoo » Thu, 18Mar15 13:41

By the way, this phenomenon is known in digital photography as shot noise. The phenomenon was not of concern a few years ago when signal to noise was too low to make a meaningful difference when the number of photons captured was very low (dark scenes, short exposure time, high sensitivity).
The end result is that when there is a difference of 1-2 photons deviating from the average, it makes a big difference whether the average is 5.5, 50.5 or 500.5. In the first case, you may end up with 5 or 6 photons, rarely with 4 or 7. The percentage difference is huge. With 50, you end up with 49, 50, 51 or 52, which is a small difference, and between 499, 500, 501 and 502, the difference is tiny.

As overall number of samples per pixel increases, so does the quality.

However, there's no reason to strive for perfection. I find that the noise makes images a lot more realistic, to the point that I thought a lot of artists made this choice consciously and added noise after rendering.
yahoo
great white shark

Postby Mortze » Thu, 18Mar15 22:19

yahoo wrote:However, there's no reason to strive for perfection. I find that the noise makes images a lot more realistic, to the point that I thought a lot of artists made this choice consciously and added noise after rendering.

I sometimes do exactly that for pictures unrelated to the games. I like the noisy touch.
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Previous

Return to The workshop of creators