General Chat

A quiet place at the lagoon side for speaking about all and nothing (the financial crisis, sex, your country, sex, hobbies, or...sex)

Re: General Chat

Postby Joe.Pizza » Sun, 17May07 05:45

PinkVendeta wrote:Anyone seen any good movies of late?

Just watched Ghost In The Shell, was not sure what to make of it being honest.

Welcome back to the topic you started. [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]

Didn't see Ghost in the Shell. Probably won't. Kind of getting tired of Scarlett Johansson. Saw her flick "Lucy" on HBO. Intriguing concept, but to know what to make of it either. I'm sure I'll have my fill of her with the Marvel movies.

I'm looking forward to seeing Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Fell onto the first one on HBO and was hooked. It was fun, Star-Lord's music was from my era, and what's not to love about Groot?

JP
Joe.Pizza
lagoon predator

sex: Masculine

Postby JFR » Sun, 17May07 07:54

Having been a fan of the original anime, I have mixed feelings about even seeing this new GitS film. The trailers have been out for awhile and I don't think I can handle Scarlett in the lead role. That character is Japanese, darn it. They all are. No matter how good she might or might not be, I suspect I will be thinking "no, no, no!" I have had similar problems with other adaptations and remakes. Some work and some do not but when the characters have a strong, specific identity, the remakes often do not work for me.

I couldn't even really enjoy the original "Magnificent 7" because "Seven Samurai" was so good, although the 60s era western was actually quite good. I won't even go see the new remake.
JFR
star of the reef

Postby PinkVendeta » Sun, 17May07 09:19

Joe.Pizza wrote:

Welcome back to the topic you started. [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]

Didn't see Ghost in the Shell. Probably won't. Kind of getting tired of Scarlett Johansson. Saw her flick "Lucy" on HBO. Intriguing concept, but to know what to make of it either. I'm sure I'll have my fill of her with the Marvel movies.

I'm looking forward to seeing Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Fell onto the first one on HBO and was hooked. It was fun, Star-Lord's music was from my era, and what's not to love about Groot?

JP

Thanks JP

Scarlett did not do the role justice, and overall the movie was not great being made in hollywood, to many break aways from where the movie came from, I would give it a 5 out of 10.

Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 as it is named, is on my to see list, part one was epic, I just hope Kurt Russle makes his role as some all powerful alien epic, and Groot both grown and baby Groot, both are cuties, purely from a typical girly stance :lol:
I Am Not speaking From Experience - I Just Have A Vivid Imagination

Hannah
PinkVendeta
legend of the South Seas

sex: Female

Postby PinkVendeta » Sun, 17May07 09:27

JFR wrote:

Having been a fan of the original anime, I have mixed feelings about even seeing this new GitS film. The trailers have been out for awhile and I don't think I can handle Scarlett in the lead role. That character is Japanese, darn it. They all are. No matter how good she might or might not be, I suspect I will be thinking "no, no, no!" I have had similar problems with other adaptations and remakes. Some work and some do not but when the characters have a strong, specific identity, the remakes often do not work for me.

I couldn't even really enjoy the original "Magnificent 7" because "Seven Samurai" was so good, although the 60s era western was actually quite good. I won't even go see the new remake.

I agree with You fully, I kind of knew hollywood would actually break away totally from the anime and everyone in the movie is western bar one old Japanese man, Scarlett was not great in the role at all, it was a weird mish mash, they all spoke in english and replied in english bar the old man who spoke solely constantly in Japanese and replied in the same also, I was sitting there thinking, like seriously, pick one and speak that.

Some of the special effects were cool tho but even they could not make up for the rest of the movie being so bad.

Hannah
PinkVendeta
legend of the South Seas

Postby PinkVendeta » Sun, 17May07 10:15

Here is a list in a spoiler of movies I have seen in 2016 and in 2017 so far, any good movies I will note them.

Arrival - 2016 ‧ Mystery/Science fiction film ‧ 1h 58m

Linguistics professor Louise Banks (Amy Adams) leads an elite team of investigators when gigantic spaceships touch down in 12 locations around the world.
As nations teeter on the verge of global war, Banks and her crew must race against time to find a way to communicate with the extraterrestrial visitors.
Hoping to unravel the mystery, she takes a chance that could threaten her life and quite possibly all of mankind.

I liked this movie, nice twists and turns in it.

Deadpool - 2016 ‧ Science fiction film/Action ‧ 1h 48m

Wade Wilson (Ryan Reynolds) is a former Special Forces operative who now works as a mercenary.
His world comes crashing down when evil scientist Ajax (Ed Skrein) tortures, disfigures and transforms him into Deadpool.
The rogue experiment leaves Deadpool with accelerated healing powers and a twisted sense of humor.
With help from mutant allies Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead (Brianna Hildebrand), Deadpool uses his new skills to hunt down the man who nearly destroyed his life.

This movie was epic, if You have not seen it, go watch it online or on DVD, I cannot wait for part 2.

Suicide Squad - 2016 ‧ Fantasy/Science fiction film ‧ 2h 17m

Figuring they're all expendable, a U.S. intelligence officer decides to assemble a team of dangerous, incarcerated supervillains for a top-secret mission.
Now armed with government weapons, Deadshot (Will Smith), Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie), Captain Boomerang, Killer Croc and other despicable inmates must learn to work together. Dubbed Task Force X, the criminals unite to battle a mysterious and powerful entity, while the diabolical Joker (Jared Leto) launches an evil agenda of his own.

Another great movie and worth a watch, although, I thought the joker role was tame and paled when put up against the Joker role played by Heath Ledger (RIP) in Batman, most people I know do not even call the movie Baman, it is called the Joker as Heath Ledger played it to such an epic standard.

A Monster Calls - 2016 ‧ Fantasy/Drama film ‧ 1h 48m

Conor (Lewis MacDougall) is dealing with far more than other boys his age. His beloved and devoted mother (Felicity Jones) is ill. He has little in common with his imperious grandmother. His father has resettled thousands of miles away. But Conor finds a most unlikely ally when the Monster (Liam Neeson) appears at his bedroom window one night. Ancient, wild, and relentless, the Monster guides Conor on a journey of courage, faith, and truth that powerfully fuses imagination and reality.

I thought this was a powerful, heart touching movie, a real emotional journey.

The Great Wall - 2016 ‧ Fantasy/Mystery ‧ 2 hours

When a mercenary warrior (Matt Damon) is imprisoned within the Great Wall, he discovers the mystery behind one of the greatest wonders of the world.
As wave after wave of marauding beasts besiege the massive structure, his quest for fortune turns into a journey toward heroism as he joins a huge army of elite warriors to confront the unimaginable and seemingly unstoppable force.

Some people online put this movie down, but I loved it, well worth a watch.

Kong: Skull Island - 2017 ‧ Fantasy/Science fiction film ‧ 2 hours

Scientists, soldiers and adventurers unite to explore a mythical, uncharted island in the Pacific Ocean.
Cut off from everything they know, they venture into the domain of the mighty Kong, igniting the ultimate battle between man and nature.
As their mission of discovery soon becomes one of survival, they must fight to escape from a primal world where humanity does not belong.

I loved this movie :lol:

John Wick: Chapter 2 - 2017 ‧ Crime film/Thriller ‧ 2h 2m

Retired super-assassin John Wick's plans to resume a quiet civilian life are cut short when Italian gangster Santino D'Antonio shows up on his doorstep with a gold marker, compelling him to repay past favors.
Ordered by Winston, kingpin of secret assassin society The Continental, to respect the organization's ancient code, Wick reluctantly accepts the assignment to travel to Rome to take out D'Antonio's sister, the ruthless capo atop the Italian Camorra crime syndicate.

It was an ok movie, not as good as part 1, but worth a watch.

The Fate of the Furious - 2017 ‧ Crime film/Thriller ‧ 2h 40m

With Dom and Letty married, Brian and Mia retired and the rest of the crew exonerated, the globe-trotting team has found some semblance of a normal life.
They soon face an unexpected challenge when a mysterious woman named Cipher forces Dom to betray them all.
Now, they must unite to bring home the man who made them a family and stop Cipher from unleashing chaos.

I liked this movie, it was clearly missing Paul Walker (RIP) and his good acting skills, but it is action packed beginning to end.

Logan - 2017 ‧ Science fiction film/Drama film ‧ 2h 21m

In the near future, a weary Logan (Hugh Jackman) cares for an ailing Professor X (Patrick Stewart) at a remote outpost on the Mexican border.
His plan to hide from the outside world gets upended when he meets a young mutant (Dafne Keen) who is very much like him.
Logan must now protect the girl and battle the dark forces that want to capture her.

This I thought was a great movie, and was also sad in many ways, including that it, according to both Hugh Jackman & Patrick Stewart was their last time as X-men in the movie series.

Movies yet to see:

Alien: Covenant

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Spider-Man: Homecoming

Thor: Ragnarok

Wonder Woman

War for the Planet of the Apes

Transformers: The Last Knight

Blade Runner 2049

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Kingsman: The Golden Circle

The Mummy

Jurassic World 2

Avengers: Infinity War

Deadpool 2

Black Panther

Ant-Man and the Wasp

Aquaman

Bad Boys for Life

The Equalizer 2

Hannah
PinkVendeta
legend of the South Seas

Postby PinkVendeta » Mon, 17May22 03:32

Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 can be marked off my to do list :lol:

Epic movie.

Hannah
PinkVendeta
legend of the South Seas

Postby flyrenders » Wed, 17Aug16 18:16

PinkVendeta wrote:Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 can be marked off my to do list :lol:

Epic movie.

I dont know if you like horrors but if yes - Annabelle 2 and "It", also Stranger Things 2 is coming in October.
flyrenders
great white shark

Postby Joe.Pizza » Sun, 17Sep17 03:48

Just got done seeing "La La Land" on HBO. My wife and I were curious to see a movie which created such a buzz in 2016. We enjoyed the music as we like Jazz, but the performance of music itself along with the choreography was lacking. Emma Stone was mostly delightful. The problem was the story. It was weak and at times hard to follow. The middle of the movie seemed to drag.

Frankly, it seem like the hub-bub surrounding the movie was it was about Hollywood and Lord knows how much the industry gets stuck on itself. As usual, if the critics and the Academy love movie, it will be artsy up to the point of being disappointing.

Rating wise, I give it a 'meh' Not great nor horrible. I can say I've seen it, but won't have an urge to watch again.
Joe.Pizza
lagoon predator

Postby Greyelf » Sun, 17Sep17 23:51

Joe.Pizza wrote:it seem like the hub-bub surrounding the movie was it was about ...

I wonder if it may of also been because we rarely see (movie based) musicals these days, and it seemed like a refreshing change

Personally I didn't mind it as it reminded me of a standard musical from the good old days of them, not one of the best mind you but still good enough to be considered one of them.
Greyelf
star of the reef

Postby Joe.Pizza » Mon, 17Sep18 04:14

Greyelf wrote:I wonder if it may of also been because we rarely see (movie based) musicals these days, and it seemed like a refreshing change
Personally I didn't mind it as it reminded me of a standard musical from the good old days of them, not one of the best mind you but still good enough to be considered one of them.

No argument here. The critics and the Academy just seem to really lower the bar if "not one of the best" is worthy of 14 Oscar nominations with six wins. (seven wins if Faye Dunaway's Best picture gaffe is included ;) )

JP
Joe.Pizza
lagoon predator

Postby Xyzzy987 » Sat, 17Nov25 02:47

Saw the movie "Boyhood" just a few days ago. There's 2 hours and 40 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Almost two hours in, I started looking at my watch and thinking "When will this thing end?" For the entire duration of the movie I waited for something, anything, to happen, and was sorely disappointed. I'm surprised the actors didn't get bored and quit the project at some point during the decade-plus that it took to make this debacle. I have no idea how it garnered the critical praise that it did. Worst movie I've seen since "Apocalypse Now", another colossal waste of celluloid.
Xyzzy987
lagoon predator

Postby PinkVendeta » Sat, 17Dec02 14:52

Xyzzy987 wrote:Saw the movie "Boyhood" just a few days ago. There's 2 hours and 40 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Almost two hours in, I started looking at my watch and thinking "When will this thing end?" For the entire duration of the movie I waited for something, anything, to happen, and was sorely disappointed. I'm surprised the actors didn't get bored and quit the project at some point during the decade-plus that it took to make this debacle. I have no idea how it garnered the critical praise that it did. Worst movie I've seen since "Apocalypse Now", another colossal waste of celluloid.

I watched that movie also and like nearly 2 hours in was thinking, wow, this is boring the tits off me lol.

Hannah
PinkVendeta
legend of the South Seas

Postby Joe.Pizza » Fri, 17Dec08 07:36

Saw the new Thor movie. It was similar to other Marvel movies with a bunch of gag lines. The middle part of the movie with the fighting contests kind of reminded me of "Mad Max beyond Thunderdome". Still entertaining.

**************** Spoiler alert *****************************

Question for the ladies: do you like Thor with long hair or short?
Joe.Pizza
lagoon predator

Postby PinkVendeta » Tue, 17Dec12 19:05

Joe.Pizza wrote:Saw the new Thor movie. It was similar to other Marvel movies with a bunch of gag lines. The middle part of the movie with the fighting contests kind of reminded me of "Mad Max beyond Thunderdome". Still entertaining.

**************** Spoiler alert *****************************

Question for the ladies: do you like Thor with long hair or short?

Long hair, short hair does not suit the role at all or him.

Hannah
PinkVendeta
legend of the South Seas

Postby Greyelf » Tue, 17Dec12 20:18

It's interesting that people debate the length of the hair on his head but totally accept his lack of a real beard. [img]images/icones/icon14.gif[/img]
(like the one in most images of the Norse god he's based on)
Greyelf
star of the reef

PreviousNext

Return to The beach