English 101

A quiet place at the lagoon side for speaking about all and nothing (the financial crisis, sex, your country, sex, hobbies, or...sex)

Re: English 101

Postby PinkVendeta » Mon, 16Aug22 08:04

Xyzzy987 wrote:So here's a question: When the queen dies, and her grandson assumes the throne, will they change their name to The King's English Society? And will we be encouraged to speak the King's English?

muttdoggy wrote:Hasn't it always been the Queen's English since Elizabeth?? :??:
Couldn't they possibly come up with a more acceptable name? Seeking approval from the Monarchy is for days long past. We're in a more interconnected society and language is fast becoming more and more flexible. Since the silicon chip was invented, it's completely altered the methods we use for communication.

I think it has always been called the Queen's English since Elizabeth as muttdoggy has said, so when she dies, it may well be still called the Queen's English in honor of her, though it could well be changed to the King's English as Xyzzy987 has said to reflect the new King as it has been a very long time since the United kingdom has actually had a King.
I Am Not speaking From Experience - I Just Have A Vivid Imagination

Hannah
PinkVendeta
legend of the South Seas

sex: Female

Postby Joe.Pizza » Thu, 16Aug25 06:04

Xyzzy987 wrote:So here's a question: When the queen dies, and her grandson assumes the throne, will they change their name to The King's English Society? And will we be encouraged to speak the King's English?

Interesting point. It makes me wonder if Johnny Rotten will get "The Sex Pistols" punk band back together to do a follow-up to "God Save the Queen". Let's hope not. They were too dreary to me. :roi:
Joe.Pizza
lagoon predator

sex: Masculine

Postby DiTo » Sun, 16Aug28 05:30

Joe.Pizza wrote:

Interesting point. It makes me wonder if Johnny Rotten will get "The Sex Pistols" punk band back together to do a follow-up to "God Save the Queen". Let's hope not. They were too dreary to me. :roi:

Would be a hard case putting Sid Vicious together again, since he died a long time ago.
DiTo
legend of the South Seas

sex: Female

Postby Greebo » Sun, 16Aug28 16:50

The best thing that came out of the whole Sex Pistols shenanigans was Sid's version of "My Way" :lol: Up yours, Sinatra!

On a different note, I once was a royal door stop, by appointment, holding one of a pair of double doors open for Her Majesty the Queen during the opening of a science block. She seemed quite nice if somewhat shorter than my 6'3", and her English was much more pleasant than some of the so-called "Queen's English" crap I've heard come out of the mouths of other toffee nosed, pretentious individuals. Still the world's full of hypocrites -- I found it hard to contain my amusement knowing that the other "door prop" was a card carrying communist! :roi:
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby muttdoggy » Mon, 16Aug29 04:12

Greebo wrote:The best thing that came out of the whole Sex Pistols shenanigans was Sid's version of "My Way" :lol: Up yours, Sinatra!

On a different note, I once was a royal door stop, by appointment, holding one of a pair of double doors open for Her Majesty the Queen during the opening of a science block. She seemed quite nice if somewhat shorter than my 6'3", and her English was much more pleasant than some of the so-called "Queen's English" crap I've heard come out of the mouths of other toffee nosed, pretentious individuals. Still the world's full of hypocrites -- I found it hard to contain my amusement knowing that the other "door prop" was a card carrying communist! :roi:

Hearing that the Queen speaks english pleasantly doesn't surprise me at all. Half of my great-grandparents on both sides and other members of my family are from the English upper class and we all have royal blood as well. They were taught how to behave and how to speak pleasantly. It was hammered into their heads.. speak in this manner, walk this way, stand just so, steep the tea exactly this long, and wash those socks whiter than your skin! [img]images/icones/icon9.gif[/img]
But what's interesting is that it's those members of my family who are remembered most fondly in spite of their rigid schedules and strictness. This applies to this topic since no matter which English is spoken, the point of a common language is to be understood. :roi:
muttdoggy
lagoon predator

Postby Joe.Pizza » Mon, 16Aug29 05:19

DiTo wrote:Would be a hard case putting Sid Vicious together again, since he died a long time ago.

Thanks DiTo for pointing out how much I don't know about The Sex Pistols. :lol:

Actually, my only exposure to the band was 35 years ago at a 'GI Party' during basic training. One of the guys was a big a fan of punk. Well, the group gave it a try. After one cassette tape of assorted punk music, we thank him, but let him know that we had our fill. Somehow, hearing the Dead Kennedy's lyrics "I don't need this f'ing world; this world brings me down" wasn't very motivating while strip waxing a floor. [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]
Joe.Pizza
lagoon predator

Postby Paladox » Sun, 16Sep18 06:44

Just my opinion, but I've always felt like you should learn the native language of wherever you are living (or places you want to visit).
I'm not interested in traveling abroad, but if I wanted to then I would at least invest some time toward learning the language.
Paladox
sirens hunter

Previous

Return to The beach