next game?

here, you can speak about shark's games. (comment, need help...)

Re: next game?

Postby Tskxe » Fri, 14Aug01 08:22

Get well soon..JJ...take care of yourself...
Tskxe
great white shark

sex: Masculine

Postby Stev-23 » Wed, 14Sep03 19:10

I hope for Jimmy Johns game soon !

Castle Whisperers is awesome - also the new Asian idea is absolutley great !!

Keep on the great work - thx thx thx [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img] [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img] :crazy: :crazy:
Stev-23
great white shark

Postby ZaphodB » Wed, 14Sep03 20:17

I wrote a scene by scene synopsis of a game set in the Roman Empire and sent it to shark but sadly never heard back from him, possibly because it was in English. Obviously a first draft but I thought the story was quite suitable for shark. I only wish I could do my own graphics but I'm sadly lacking in that department.
ZaphodB
lagoon predator

Postby Squeeky » Wed, 14Sep03 23:57

ZaphodB wrote:I wrote a scene by scene synopsis of a game set in the Roman Empire and sent it to shark but sadly never heard back from him, possibly because it was in English. Obviously a first draft but I thought the story was quite suitable for shark. I only wish I could do my own graphics but I'm sadly lacking in that department.

Roman Empire? Interesting setting. While I can't speak for Shark on this, I do know that he does not enjoy lengthy English particularly where there is detailed conversation. Often in our own work we need to clarify intentions because some things do not translate as directly as we would expect.

That said, Shark did have some issues earlier in the year, has also a commitment to JIMMYJOHN as well as his own creations. Maybe your note here will revive his memory of the occasion.
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby ZaphodB » Thu, 14Sep04 02:59

Squeeky wrote:
ZaphodB wrote:I wrote a scene by scene synopsis of a game set in the Roman Empire and sent it to shark but sadly never heard back from him, possibly because it was in English. Obviously a first draft but I thought the story was quite suitable for shark. I only wish I could do my own graphics but I'm sadly lacking in that department.

Roman Empire? Interesting setting. While I can't speak for Shark on this, I do know that he does not enjoy lengthy English particularly where there is detailed conversation. Often in our own work we need to clarify intentions because some things do not translate as directly as we would expect.

That said, Shark did have some issues earlier in the year, has also a commitment to JIMMYJOHN as well as his own creations. Maybe your note here will revive his memory of the occasion.

Thanks Squeeky.
I did say in my e-mail that I appreciated there might be an issue with the language and TBH it was pretty long although I didn't include much dialogue. Certainly it would very hard for me to have read through a French version of the same thing, especially I had some trouble in formatting it for the e-mail as I couldn't see how to PM a document. Unfortunately I only have an 'O' Level French and it wasn't very good so if I'm not confident of putting it out in French. I think there was plenty of scope for bad endings which is necessary for a Shark game. However I don't know if I should post it to someone else on Shark's team. I found it quite fun to write as imagined how all the scenes would look in my head.
ZaphodB
lagoon predator

Postby paquito » Thu, 14Sep04 06:10

If you want I can try to translate your synopsis.
paquito
legend of the South Seas

Postby Squeeky » Thu, 14Sep04 06:26

paquito wrote:If you want I can try to translate your synopsis.

While I have given ZaphodB a possible avenue, your offer might be of more value.
May I suggest a PM to him offering your email contact?
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby shark » Thu, 14Sep04 07:46

I confirm what Squeeky said. I understand, without too many problems, the basic English language, but if you use particular expressions, it quickly becomes difficult for me.
Remember that each language has its expressions that are translated differently in another language.
An example:
The action to participate in a job can be replaced in the English language by the expression "put the shoulder to the wheel".
The corresponding expression in French is "Mettre la main à la pâte" which is translated as "Put the hand to the pasta".
Do you understand my problem?
Of course, Google can translate many expressions, but if your text is long, I'll need a lot of time.
I get a lot of proposals for scripts and it's very useful for me, but please try to use simple language.
shark
Site Admin

Postby paquito » Thu, 14Sep04 09:50

Non, ce n'est pas "pasta", mais plutôt "dough", pasta c'est les pâtes genre nouilles, cannellonis, etc ...
For english speakers: pâte(s) = pasta or dough, the same word but not the same meaning.

While I have given ZaphodB a possible avenue, your offer might be of more value.
May I suggest a PM to him offering your email contact?

I will send a PM to him to know if he is interested.
paquito
legend of the South Seas

Postby ZaphodB » Thu, 14Sep04 23:58

Thanks for all your replies Squeeky, Paquito and especially Shark.

Unfortunately before reading the thread I have already PM'd Squeeky and Paquito. I do understand the problem and it must be complex with all the different languages. If I need to simplify the language I guess I could work with Paquito on that, although I hope can format the version a bit better than the version I sent to Shark.

The Romans, of course, could always eat more pasta [img]images/icones/icon14.gif[/img]
ZaphodB
lagoon predator

Postby Squeeky » Fri, 14Sep05 09:15

I just looked on Twitter at Shark's announcements.

In "Castle Whispers" there was a lot of research so that we could try to remain as faithful to the period as possible (vaginal 'deforestation', for instance, was documented as early as Ancient Egypt). We recognised that all Film Producers do take some license upon events but in doing so I doubt that Shark distorted the Period.

Again, with this upcoming story there has been much research.
Since Marco Polo there has been a "mystique" in the minds of "The West" about the "Orient".

Two Great Wars and politics since have changed the "Orient". Yet, somehow, something of the past eras still survives in the daily lives of those countries.
The Team trust that the important elements of the Orient/Far East as you may know them are held within what we are continuing to develop.

Don't ask for details or even a timeline. Just know that we will get there!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby Squeeky » Fri, 14Sep05 09:20

@ZaphodB,
I am hoping that your proposal meets the criteria of history (as much as it may) in accord with what I've posted just above. [img]images/icones/icon10.gif[/img]
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby paquito » Fri, 14Sep05 09:47

If I can give to the team a piece of advice, you must define the era of the story, 'cause eras are very different for capitals, emperors, shouguns, name of the country, religion, etc ...
Japanese emperors don't have any powers for almost one thousand years. Bouddhism is appeared during the 6th century (more or less) and is an elitist religion at this time, peasants are mostly shintoist.

The Japanese historical context may greatly change due to the era.

I hope that could be usefull for you guys.
paquito
legend of the South Seas

Postby Squeeky » Fri, 14Sep05 09:53

paquito wrote:If I can give to the team a piece of advice, you must define the era of the story, 'cause eras are very different for capitals, emperors, shouguns, name of the country, religion, etc ...
Japanese emperors don't have any powers for almost one thousand years. Bouddhism is appeared during the 6th century (more or less) and is an elitist religion at this time, peasants are mostly shintoist.

The Japanese historical context may greatly change due to the era.

I hope that could be usefull for you guys.

All of that is very well noticed. Many thanks, I think however that we have covered those areas.
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby ZaphodB » Fri, 14Sep05 20:23

Squeeky wrote:@ZaphodB,
I am hoping that your proposal meets the criteria of history (as much as it may) in accord with what I've posted just above. [img]images/icones/icon10.gif[/img]

I actually could add a lot more detail to any story based in the Roman Empire. I've been fascinated by the subject since I saw "I, Claudius" when I was a little boy and have an 'O' Level Latin which I passed mainly because of knowledge of Roman society which was part of the exam. I possess many books on the subject and certainly you will be aware of the extreme things the emperors got up to, some of which may have been exaggerated. After the TV version of "Spartacus" came out I did some research into whether the treatment of slaves in that show was accurate and for the people involved it probably was with nudity in the street or the house being a common punishment or at parties and certainly inspecting the goods before buying slaves was normal. I possess several books on the subject including one which is all about sexual practices from the Etruscans (including wife swapping parties and weddings in which the husband and his friends would take turns, although that was later changed to the friends just watching!) onwards. Regarding "deforestation", I'll look into that. At the start of my story the women almost certainly will have full bushes but I need to see what options there are later when the action changes country. I have an emperor who makes a brief appearance in the story but I would guess the story is probably set maybe in Vespasian's time. Claudius could be the emperor I suppose because he doesn't have to do much but I can't imagine Nero not wanting to take over the party ... although come to think of it, maybe an early Nero might be suitable.

Anyway I have sent a copy to paquito and hope to send a copy to you soon. I've sent you another PM.
ZaphodB
lagoon predator

PreviousNext

Return to Shark's games