Norton Block

You want to speak about the site or downright to participate in its realization? All the ideas and the notices are welcome …

Norton Block

Postby Tao Dude » Sun, 17Feb05 23:48

Hi, Shark

My Norton has thrown up a block for your site saying it is a known dangerous site, claiming there are four viruses on the site. Just thought you should know. They have already taken a dislike to Tlaero's game engine and some people on other game forums think that Symantec is being a bit heavy-handed, as they have been subject to a few embarrassing disclosures about their security products, and are now clamping down to get their reputation back.

Best,
Tao
Tao Dude
lagoon predator

sex: Masculine

Re: Norton Block

Postby LRM » Mon, 17Feb06 00:12

My ISP provides my Norton (version 22.8.1.14), Norton is over-cautious about anything with few downloads.
I don't recall my Norton ever flagging this site.
Lou
I can legitimately call a memory oversight a senior moment ;) .
Got Wood?
LRM

Postby shark » Mon, 17Feb06 07:08

Indeed, "Norton safe web" says that 4 files of the "3D Vision" section are infected by a virus. I don't understand because there are very old files that have never been modified.
I removed them for security but norton continues to say that the 4 files are infected ... but it does not find them any more !!?
shark
Site Admin

Postby Tao Dude » Wed, 17Feb15 00:14

shark wrote:Indeed, "Norton safe web" says that 4 files of the "3D Vision" section are infected by a virus. I don't understand because there are very old files that have never been modified.
I removed them for security but Norton continues to say that the 4 files are infected ... but it does not find them any more !!?

Something tells me Norton are being a bit lazy and not clearing their cache before they re-run the tests, or maybe they are not even re-testing flagged bad sites.

Fortunately, there is a 'go there anyway' option so I can still find the lagoon.

Best Tao.
Tao Dude
lagoon predator

Postby Rikwar » Wed, 17Feb15 04:56

Not surprising Norton as been knowed over the years for there False/Positive [img]images/icones/icon3.gif[/img]
What Is False Positive?

Just a little definition:

A false positive, also known as false detection or false alarm , happens when an antivirus program detects a known virus string in an uninfected file. The file, while not infected with an actual virus, does contain a string of characters that matches a string from an actual virus.

A false positive can also happen when a program performs an action, which to the AV (antivirus), appears to be a virus-like activity.

It's another way of saying "mistake" or "error". As applied to the field of AV programs, a false positive happens when the program mistakenly flags an innocent file as infected. This may seem harmless, but false positives can be a real nuisance especially when you think you're vulnerable to "attacks" when in fact you are not.

Personally I've been using ESET Nod32 Antivirus for years now and it as never flagged any of these files.
The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it
Rikwar
Great Master of corals

Return to Shark's website