Virus Warning

You want to speak about the site or downright to participate in its realization? All the ideas and the notices are welcome …

Virus Warning

Postby Goat » Thu, 13Dec12 20:14

My Antivirus programme has within the last two week taken to marking up every attempt to get into the Games pages as having a known threat and then closing me down.
Occasionally I can get in via another host but normally everything is blocked. I can as you see get into the Forum.

Is this an overproteced programme or could there be something on the web? I have a number of times been hacked by false police websites demanding I pay fines etc so probelm may be lurking on my machine.

Shame have hardly got started on The Campus.
[img]images/icones/icon5.gif[/img]
Goat
sirens hunter

Re: Virus Warning

Postby LRM » Thu, 13Dec12 21:45

I'm in the USA and using AVG free.
I've never gotten any flag for Shark's games (not even with McAfee or Norton).
I've gotten a few with some of the other downloads, but once downloaded and scanned there is nothing to be wary of. I'll admit I don't even try Russian sites or rarely any oriental sites.
Lou
I vote for an overly protective anti-virus on your part.
Got Wood?
LRM

sex: Masculine

Postby Greebo » Thu, 13Dec12 23:12

Use Linux! I've yet to come across malware that can do anything more than take control of a Firefox tab and make it necessary to kill the browser and knock out the offending tab when restarting. Windoze tailored viruses are handled like water off a duck's back -- no AV software needed!

The main problem is when you absolutely must use software written purely for Windoze and Wine can't handle it -- Serif PagePlus is annoying like that. Most of the software I use works natively under Linux and it's usually completely free too

Regarding the lagoon, there's nothing more dangerous than the odd great white or perhaps a siren on a rock. I suspect the AV software you're using is the main culprit
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby Rikwar » Fri, 13Dec13 09:30

Goat wrote:My Antivirus programme has within the last two week taken to marking up every attempt to get into the Games pages as having a known threat and then closing me down.
Occasionally I can get in via another host but normally everything is blocked. I can as you see get into the Forum.

Is this an overproteced programme or could there be something on the web? I have a number of times been hacked by false police websites demanding I pay fines etc so probelm may be lurking on my machine.

Shame have hardly got started on The Campus.
[img]images/icones/icon5.gif[/img]

@Goat..first thing to do is to get rid of those ' false police websites or better known as Ransomware
Download ComboFix http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/
followed by Malwarebytes free http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/
Start be running a scan with ComboFix, once done do another full scan with Malwarebytes
If your unable to download the above use another computer you may have or a friends, copy to a USBflash drive or CD and install you may need to start up your computer in safe mode using F8
If you have any questions just reply here or by PM !
The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it
Rikwar
Great Master of corals

Postby Goat » Fri, 13Dec13 12:02

Thanks Guys/Dolls.
Will see what I can do. Greebo to the oldy I am that was fascinating information, but not inthe English I use....!
but checking the Ransom site looks about doable

Hopefully back and playing. Mind you in 40 years of biology teaching no-one thought to demo the synovial nodes in quite such a quaint way! Would get me about 5 years and on the banned from teaching list!!

==========================================================================================
Cool is an expression of temperature, not an adjective for interesting things!
Goat
sirens hunter

Postby Greebo » Fri, 13Dec13 12:41

Goat wrote:Thanks Guys/Dolls.
Will see what I can do. Greebo to the oldy I am that was fascinating information, but not inthe English I use....!

I am probably older than many lagoon denizens think -- it's surprising how many years go by when you've got nine lives! Maybe I'm just a bit more computer literate than others of my age having been in the industry as a custom military spec computer power supply engineer for quite a while in the past [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Return to Shark's website