Cannot send PM (personal message) to somebody

You want to speak about the site or downright to participate in its realization? All the ideas and the notices are welcome …

Re: Cannot send PM (personal message) to somebody

Postby qbv8 » Mon, 09Jun22 11:09

In the past we have experienced cases where people tried to send a PM to somebody else in the lagoon, and the PM disappeared, and communication by PM between these two people was not possible.

To my knowledge there are two possible reasons for such behavior of the forum software.
[*]1. The receiver of the PM has put the sender of the PM onto his "ignore" list. This can be done within the PM window. Below the name of the sender on the left side, you see a link entitled "Add a member to ignore list". If you follow this link, the corresponding sender will not be able to send you any PM anymore. This is a feature.
[*]2. Due to some hard coded size limitations within the forums software, it sometimes happens that accidentally users can not exchange PMs with some other users (not with all). This is a bug. Arnulf has dealt with this phenomenon a couple of times and might know what can be done to fix this unpleasant situation -- at least for single incidents. Has anybody communicated this error to the company that manages the forum software (aceboard.net)?

As long as the second situation is still existent, I suggest to use this thread in case you experience such a problem --- not to exchange what you want to communicate via PM, but instead to report this problem for the administrators to be aware of it and possibly help out.

Regards,
qbv8
qbv8
star of the reef

sex: Masculine

Postby qbv8 » Mon, 09Jun22 11:12

60nowise, I tried to send you a PM, but apparently experienced the problem above (and I assume it is due to the bug, not the feature).
qbv8
star of the reef

Postby 60nowise » Mon, 09Jun22 19:55

I just don't know, what happened. About one month ago I could receive and write a PM to Arnulf. On 17/05/2009 I received a PM from LRM, which I could not open and read; since that date PM doesn't work for me!
60nowise
star of the reef

Postby shark » Mon, 09Jun22 22:21

I did not note this problem personally. Only Pm that I could not send was blocked because I had forgotten to write a title
shark
Site Admin

Postby qbv8 » Mon, 09Jun22 22:57

At the beginning of April we experienced such a problem between Squeeky and Arnulf. They could not exchange PMs for some reason, but both could exchange PMs with me. Somehow I think Arnulf has solved this problem, but I do not have enough insight into the forum software to find out the cause of this erroneous behaviour. Is there any chance to report these problems to aceboard.net (as well as the other problems that I described in http://sharks-lagoon.aceboard.fr/215394 ... tering.htm) so that they can be fixed in a next release of the software?

Best regards,
qbv8
qbv8
star of the reef

Postby qbv8 » Tue, 09Jun23 00:34

60nowise, I got your PM. Did you get my reply?
qbv8
star of the reef

Postby 60nowise » Tue, 09Jun23 00:40

Antwort in PM angekommen! seems to be ok now! [img]images/icones/icon14.gif[/img]
60nowise
star of the reef

Postby qbv8 » Tue, 09Jun23 00:51

Great! And we will never find out the magic behind it. This reminds me of Arthur C. Clarke's Statement:
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
qbv8
star of the reef

Return to Shark's website