A visit with the Hypnotist

You want to speak about the site or downright to participate in its realization? All the ideas and the notices are welcome …

Re: A visit with the Hypnotist

Postby Arnulf » Mon, 09Jul06 11:33

Also we have in Europe sweetwater sirenes, the famous Loreley, sitting high above the river Rhine on a rock, brushing her shining golden long hair and playing psycheledic melodies on a lyra which caused a lot of shipwrecking at a hazardous narrow curve of the river at the base of the said rock.

In Vienna in the Danube river, there also lived a hazardous sweetwater mermaid in the Middle Age, which made some poor guys falling in love with her and they died by trying to meet her in the deepth of the Danube Waters. This maid was called the "Donauweibchen" (to be translated such as: "Danubewifey")
Arnulf
Master of the skies and the waves

Postby qbv8 » Mon, 09Jul06 11:37

It is interesting to observe that --- at least in Europe --- femaleness and wetness seem to be closely associated with each other. What does that tell us ...?
qbv8
star of the reef

sex: Masculine

Postby Jackadict » Mon, 09Jul06 11:40

A bit of psychanalyse ?
Or a bite ? Mermaids have to eat Sailors .
Jackadict
star of the reef

Postby qbv8 » Mon, 09Jul06 12:10

Speaking of psychoanalysis, we should take a closer look at the childhood of the sirenes.

Past research work in this lagoon has revealed the early times of sirenes. Following that line, according to greek mythology (Hesiod et al.), we find two roots for Sirenes. The daughters of the river god Acheloos and the muse Terpsichore (joy of dance) are called sirenes, as well as the daughters of the sea god Phorkys (son of Gaia) and his sister, the sea monster Keto (kitea), the personification of the dangers of the sea.

Now imagine the childhood of these young daughters ...
qbv8
star of the reef

Postby Squeeky » Mon, 09Jul06 12:30

The Loreley? Firstly I thought the spelling was "Lorelei", which the this form accepts.

But secondly, I do recall that in my very distant primary schools years I heard a piece of music about the "lorelei", who might have been the the composer, doubt Haydn or Strauss but was probably in their period (Wagner)?
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby qbv8 » Mon, 09Jul06 13:11

Loreley is the name of a rock at the river Rhein in Germany. The name Loreley is composed out of two words. The second part has it's roots in the celtic word Ley which denotes the schist rock in this region (Schiefer, ardoise). The first name presumably is rooted in the old german (altdeutsch) word lorlen which means rush or murmur (fr: gazouiller).

As the Rhein is very dangerous in that region, many accidents have occurred and throughout the centuries many stories and songs have come up.

Heinrich Heine, inspired by this topic, in 1824 wrote the poem Die Lore-Ley which might be the most known german poem throughout the world. In 1837 Friedrich Silcher wrote the music for this.

When I visited Japan for the first time in my life in 1984, at an evening with japanese friends, after one or two Sake, they started singing and asked me to sing a german song as well. Now I have to admit, that to my big shame I did not know any german song. So one of my japanese friends then started to sing Heinrich Heine's LoreLey song: in german and all the six verses without a mistake!

On that evening I "lost my face", and according to the old japanese tradition I should have commited suicide immediately just there. But luckily this happened in 1984, and my hosts were very generous with me uncultivated european without honour --- they still speak with me nowadays.

Summary: The y in Loreley is correct! :)
qbv8
star of the reef

Postby Arnulf » Mon, 09Jul06 13:14

Hi, Squeeky, you maybe right, she is to be spelled as "Lorelei", because she was a German monster.
About the music, you mentioned, I'll have a look in the history and the poets and composers who dealt with this matter.
Arnulf

Postby Arnulf » Mon, 09Jul06 13:24

Thank you, qbv8, now I think, we don't need any recherches about this matter. But you must admit that you, if you would have acted as a correct Japanese, would have had to make Harakiri, and would have written your last scrïpt codes with your own blood (maybe you would have written a poem also, but I'm pretty srue that it rather would have been some sophisticated programming codes). :jap: (sorry. I couldn't find Japanese smileys)
Arnulf

Postby qbv8 » Mon, 09Jul06 13:32

Very interesting idea Arnulf, to write a piece of code as a poem --- an executable Haiku. Wow! I'll have to think about this ...

See http://sharks-lagoon.aceboard.fr/215394 ... Poetry.htm for a continuation of the discussion on Programming in Poetry.
qbv8
star of the reef

Postby Squeeky » Mon, 09Jul06 14:42

Coded equation?

"Clo e and Wend y, (5)
A head ache for our Nan ny. (7)
Sol ving it is Frank." (5)
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby qbv8 » Mon, 09Jul06 14:45

Congratulations, Squeeky, the first program poem in the lagoon!
[img]kator/smiley207.gif[/img]
Just put it in the thread "Programming in Poestry" on the beach!
qbv8
star of the reef

Postby Raelee » Mon, 09Jul06 16:57

CO90921 said he had heard of Poloynesian Mermaids. Indeed,and Meramen as well. According to ledgend one of our creators, Vatea was half man and half porpoise.
Raelee
Princess of the islands

Postby Jackadict » Mon, 09Jul06 18:39

And what about the 'Néreïdes' ?
Nymphes de la mer, one of the was married with Poseidon.

As a dolphin (sea mammifer), i prefer female mammifer than fish
Jackadict
star of the reef

Postby Raelee » Thu, 09Jul09 07:13

How did we get so far from "A visit with the Hypnotist?"
Raelee
Princess of the islands

Postby luke » Thu, 09Jul09 11:40

Raelee wrote : How did we get so far from "A visit with the Hypnotist?"

That's not the first post which has this kind of "problem"... and i hope it's not the last! That's the charm of the lagoon
Que la Force de Shark soit avec toi / May the Shark Force be with you
luke

PreviousNext

Return to Shark's website