Adrift Commands and some confusion

A quiet place at the lagoon side for speaking about all and nothing (the financial crisis, sex, your country, sex, hobbies, or...sex)

Adrift Commands and some confusion

Postby HV3 » Tue, 16Nov15 23:32

Not sure if the beach is the right place to ask, Sexy Games (as per the description) is for game discovery and posting under those topics.

this is more general than one specific game. It just so happens this one game has gotten me thinking as far as to post about it.

I've recently gotten into AIFs and finding a minor command and what to follow it with, a bit confusing or I'm just plain doing it wrong.

Example: Gamma Girls by Cole;

> x dresser
[...dresser description...] the dresser is closed
> open dresser
You opened the Dresser.

..Here...

In many games I've played so far after opening anything I expect to see a "you opened it, and heres whats inside"
Should I or am I supposed to take this blank statement after Open cmd, that there is nothing of interest? are AIFers used to this; an output if there is something to take/get.
So if there really wasnt anything it should instead say "Opened Dresser, Nothing of interest here <<< which I've seen in very few (1-2) games so far, so that again spurs my confusion on the blank statement = requires another command to check, or nothing said = nothing there.

specifically in Gamma Girls, the FAQ states that there is never a point where you need to use the Search cmd, and to instead use Look In/Under/Behind <<< all these just repeat what I'm currently looking at.
I'm not just pointing at Gamma Girls, I've encountered this in a few games and it always leaves me a bit on the "am I missing a command in order to actually look inside the object I opened??"

Using many of these games as examples for when I finally plan to sit down and write an AIF (definitely a goal, AIF's are amazing)
so would just like to know if this form of "You opened it" versus "You opened it, heres whats inside", is a normal thing or am I just playing games that didnt flesh these bits out. ( I am playing really old games <2010)
HV3
Pilot fish

sex: Masculine

Re: Adrift Commands and some confusion

Postby Skelaturi » Wed, 16Nov16 20:43

HV3 wrote:Not sure if the beach is the right place to ask, Sexy Games (as per the description) is for game discovery and posting under those topics.

this is more general than one specific game. It just so happens this one game has gotten me thinking as far as to post about it.

I've recently gotten into AIFs and finding a minor command and what to follow it with, a bit confusing or I'm just plain doing it wrong.

Example: Gamma Girls by Cole;

> x dresser
[...dresser description...] the dresser is closed
> open dresser
You opened the Dresser.

..Here...

In many games I've played so far after opening anything I expect to see a "you opened it, and heres whats inside"
Should I or am I supposed to take this blank statement after Open cmd, that there is nothing of interest? are AIFers used to this; an output if there is something to take/get.
So if there really wasnt anything it should instead say "Opened Dresser, Nothing of interest here <<< which I've seen in very few (1-2) games so far, so that again spurs my confusion on the blank statement = requires another command to check, or nothing said = nothing there.

specifically in Gamma Girls, the FAQ states that there is never a point where you need to use the Search cmd, and to instead use Look In/Under/Behind <<< all these just repeat what I'm currently looking at.
I'm not just pointing at Gamma Girls, I've encountered this in a few games and it always leaves me a bit on the "am I missing a command in order to actually look inside the object I opened??"

Using many of these games as examples for when I finally plan to sit down and write an AIF (definitely a goal, AIF's are amazing)
so would just like to know if this form of "You opened it" versus "You opened it, heres whats inside", is a normal thing or am I just playing games that didnt flesh these bits out. ( I am playing really old games <2010)

When creating a adrift game (or any AIF really) often there is the standard command library like open. You also could try the sit, stand, attack, kick, jump. Standard stuff. As Adrift is not only for AIF it's for text adventures in general and your often opening chests in those. So all of those adrift games have them, but are rarely used. Now this command library is large usually in the bigger AIF games, you could actually ask Setzworks for example what his count was when he ended Himeros Hotel. Edit: bad example Himeros actually only has 1 thing i believe what you have to open.

Now for searching, some games. And mostly in TADS it is, you also have the " Search all" command, which makes you search everything in a room, keep in mind it will spend you some time, usually it's followed by a undo and then you search manually the things that actually have purpose. Maybe that dresser in your example had actually nothing, but have you looked under the dresser, on top of the dresser, behind the dresser. For desks when searching it, it usually refers to on top of the desk When looking at the desk you'll sometimes encounter that it has 2 drawers and open the drawer doesn't work, cause you need to be specific. Open left drawer, open right drawer, open bottom drawer, open top drawer.

And keep commands simple. If " look behind the dresser" doesn't work, it could be that the command doesn't register "the". Could also be vice versa, that you didn't type " the" but you have to. Cause not every developer has people to proofread. Or had time to do it.
Doggy style (noun)
A sexual position which allows both participants to watch TV.
---
My weakness a deviant Redhead: http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8&start=4425#p97335

--
Seen anything wrong, a typo, to ask, anything else? PM me.
Skelaturi

sex: Masculine

Re: Adrift Commands and some confusion

Postby tlaero » Thu, 16Nov17 06:40

Your real question is, "How should I do this when I write my own games?"

I recommend that if your player does "open dresser" you say, "You open the dresser, revealing a key." Then move the key into the room inventory so that if anyone walks into the room it'll say, "There's a key here."

That seems the most intuitive to me. I can't imagine anyone wants to open a dresser and not look inside.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Return to The beach