Tabletop RPGs

A quiet place at the lagoon side for speaking about all and nothing (the financial crisis, sex, your country, sex, hobbies, or...sex)

Tabletop RPGs

Postby Mortze » Sun, 15Sep27 17:13

So, here I am again opening a topic about one of another passion of mine; tabletop RPGs.

I would like to know what are your experiences with RPGs, past and present (and future).

I started to play in highschool, 17 years ago (oh my..). My first one was Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, of course. Played a female 1/2 elf ranger. A few months later we discovered Vampire: The Dark Ages, followed by Vampire: The Masquerade.
I was having fun with AD&D but I identified myself more with Vampire. I've always been a fan of the LOTR books, DragonLance books and Baldur's Gate videogames but I was in a phase that I digged more vampire stuff, like Anne Rice's books so I naturally prefered Vampire.
From then on, I played several characters in Vampire, and great campaigns of evilness.
Soon I discovered other games like Star Wars (D6), ShadowRun (2nd Ed), several french RPGs (Rêves de Dragon, Prophecy, Polaris, all 3 superb), Legend of the 5 Rings.
In more recent years I've tried Exalted, several other products from WhiteWolf, Fading Suns, Warhammer 40K, and Star Wars (d20).
I tried videogames RPGs but that is not even close. I like to portray and play characters, and most preferably, without the need to roll dice and depend on variables, pure roleplaying.
17 years later I still play, not as often as I'd love too, but I built a small but strong friends group and we sometimes play togheter. Anually we have a retirement weekend devoted only to that. We've been playing Call of Chtulhu (d20) in the past years. We unite in an almost desert village (a friend's parent's summer house) 60ft (20meters) from the sea. At night, we hear the wves clashing against the rocks as we play the horror game with dim light and some fine beverages. Really good ambiance!

What are your experiences?

Cheers
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

sex: Masculine

Re: Tabletop RPGs

Postby Skelaturi » Sun, 15Sep27 17:57

i shall be honest, i never really got into the tabletop rpg department, maybe cause i really do not know where to start. That said the D&D episodes of community (probaly only 1% accurate) i found very funny. The Rpg dedicated episodes of "geek and sundry's" both tabletop (latest wich i remember a family one Mice and mystics) and titansgrave were pretty fun to watch.

On the videogame department, i prefer the simple rpg's i am not really into minmaxing (anymore, my name is skelaturi and i used to be a WoW-oholic)
Doggy style (noun)
A sexual position which allows both participants to watch TV.
---
My weakness a deviant Redhead: http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8&start=4425#p97335

--
Seen anything wrong, a typo, to ask, anything else? PM me.
Skelaturi

Postby jacke » Mon, 15Sep28 16:48

One of my passions too !

I started early, i was 15 years old (oh god i'm old), and began with James Bond RPG. This first approach convince me : secret agent, many girls too seduce, ect...With my group of friend we tried many rpg : Call of Chtulhu (not the D20 system), DD, Warhammer, Star wars D6, Cyberpunk, many french RPG since i'm french ( Inomine Satanis/Magna Veritas, for example), fading suns, rolemaster, and many more. But we were stuck with two principal : vampire the masquerade and Legend of the five Ring. We played vampire in a more punk way that's the book propose ( more action, less politic) and Legend of the five ring was an epic long journey, campaign of five years each (we were student at this time). Since this time we played about once a month, more when we were young. We had also a long campaign (2 years each) on Exalted and Scion ( very good one rpg ), we like alternate differents games. Actually i am gamemastering a campaign on Seven Sea, perfect for cool action ! I like portray and play a character too but for me the hasard rolls are essential for some intense action , it often results good moment of laughing. But i prefer being a gamemaster, start a story and see where it goes with the players, they always surprised me even i know them for twenty years. I like set an ambiance but not too much, let the imagination do the rest. We play at a friend's home, in the campaign, no neighbours at 2 km, so it's quiet ! With the time past , we don't play long session anymore just four or five hour top, wife and children are not always willing to let us play more...
jacke
great white shark

Postby ctunnel » Wed, 15Sep30 00:08

In high school and beyond, I played the Marvel Super-Heroes RPG and the DC Heroes RPG. I've come across internet resources for them lately and really picked up on my nostalgia. Would love to find a group of people willing to play a little, but don't think I could find enough people to make a good campaign.
ctunnel
great white shark

Postby Mortze » Fri, 15Oct02 18:33

ctunnel wrote:Would love to find a group of people willing to play a little, but don't think I could find enough people to make a good campaign.

Can't find any group in your zone? Maybe in facebook.

jacke wrote:Actually i am gamemastering a campaign on Seven Sea, perfect for cool action

Ah! great game too!
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby Skelaturi » Sat, 15Oct24 11:48

A D&D adventure with a well known guestrole. When i saw this thought of you guys Backstory Matthew Mercer is a dm/gm host on Geek and sundry for the series "critical role". For the funsies and cause he likes the Witcher and as a promo for a upcoming movie with a certain actor for the guestrole he created the "witchhunter" class

here is the short adventure D&Diesel

ps. I am not expert but i found Mercer to be a good Dm/gm
Doggy style (noun)
A sexual position which allows both participants to watch TV.
---
My weakness a deviant Redhead: http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8&start=4425#p97335

--
Seen anything wrong, a typo, to ask, anything else? PM me.
Skelaturi

Postby jacke » Sat, 15Oct24 13:06

Skelaturi wrote:here is the short adventure D&Diesel

Nice i have missed that ! , and yes agree with he's a good DM. I wish i can play with the same ambiance on my donjon's game...I really like the chair which Vin sit.
jacke
great white shark

Postby Diable Jambe » Sat, 15Nov14 22:48

I've recently gotten into D&D. A few friends and I started playing with what I believe is v3.5 . Outdated I'm sure but we wanted to start out slow. I'm playing a Cleric, currently lvl5, trying to find his father who one day was taken away, along with the family helm, and the culprits left nothing behind but a black scarf. Sadly we haven't been able to coordinate enough to get together more often, but I'm looking forward to each session.

Have you guys seen Acquisitions Incorporated? You can find them on youtube, I believe they are sort of an official table for exposing other people to D&D and entertaining the current fans of course. They have annual or bi-annual sessions at PAX Prime and East, and are into their 9th season or whatever. Games are really interesting, the characters and people playing are really funny and entertaining, and the DM is really good at setting up situations and letting them play out. You should really check it out if you're into tabletop rpgs, not even just D&D.
Diable Jambe
sirens hunter

Postby Affabilis » Mon, 16Jul18 21:25

I've known about tabletop RPGs for a while, but I first got to actually play around two years ago. And it wasn't so great.

I actually really enjoy playing, but for some reason or another, almost every group I've ended up with stops playing after a few sessions. I've never been past level 5 in any of the multiple campains that I've played (3.5e and 5th only). I like to think it's just bad luck, that the other players end up losing interest (every table I played in was with people as inexperienced as me).

I'm currently playing a 5th edition online table (using Tabletop Simulator, it's great!) and we're a few sessions in already, so maybe this is the one!

Mortze wrote:A few months later we discovered Vampire: The Dark Ages, followed by Vampire: The Masquerade.

Have you tried Bloodlines? The game is buggy as hell without the community patches, but it's otherwise a really enjoyable experience. I got introduced to Vampire: The Masquerade with it so I might be a little biased.
Last edited by Affabilis on Mon, 16Jul18 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
Affabilis
great white shark

Postby Mortze » Mon, 16Jul18 22:56

Affabilis wrote:Have you tried Bloodlines? The game is buggy as hell without the community patches, but it's otherwise a really enjoyable experience. I got introduced to Vampire: The Masquerade with it so I might be a little biased tho.

Of course I have! Great great game. Dialogues very well written and there were some good efforts to set the Vampire mood in the game. Some flaws there but it's a hard thing to do anyway.
Sure the game was very bugged, but I didn't mind much, I enjoyed it a lot.
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby Affabilis » Mon, 16Jul18 23:11

Mortze wrote:Of course I have! Great great game. Dialogues very well written and there were some good efforts to set the Vampire mood in the game. Some flaws there but it's a hard thing to do anyway.
Sure the game was very bugged, but I didn't mind much, I enjoyed it a lot.

Yes, it's a really good game. I really liked how they handled playing as a Malkavian.

By the way, did you know that Paradox bought Vampire's publisher White Wolf? We might get a new Vampire game somewhere along the line...
Affabilis
great white shark

Postby Blue » Tue, 16Jul19 07:38

I started playing in high school, when I was only 14 years old.

My first was Dungeons and Dragons world. The world of the Forgotten Realms, the books about Drizzt Do’Urden ... Ah, here was a time ... Played Elf Druid, Hobbit thief and Human Ranger who has managed to become a priest of Kelemvor in the middle of the game. This plot twist was not expecting nor even our game master. He invited us next week and he explained to us why it happened... It was epic, it was cool, it was fun!

Then I studied at the Institute, and for several years has dropped out of the company, we have a rare play. It was because all of us were departed to colleges.

But after graduation, most of my company back and we discovered the universe. The World of Darkness. I really liked the system with 10 sized dices. Not only health, the complexity of the treatment and of adventure in the modern world. A sea of opportunities, complex and biting magic ... We tried to play vampires, but then found a more suitable concept in werewolves. That was our favorite. Nearly 6 years, we have played some very interesting modules. Akin and accustomed to our characters.

Later, again there was a break, and we have to try something new when line Werewolves so unsuccessfully attempted to shut down and restart. New World of Darkness we did not like, and we have moved on Exalted.

After the harsh world of darkness, seemed to us Exalted cartoon anime adventure. Paphos, anime, story, anime, battle and anime again ... It was fun.

Then came the turn of Warhammer and Dark Heresy. 100 sized dice System - poorly tolerated me, even now, I still in love with 10 sized dices system. Already owning a family and children, we play one or two games in three or four months, sometimes once a year on New Year's holidays, or in some one's summer cottage.

Excellent theme) I remembered the many happy and joyful moments while writing this post!)

It is a pity that the older we get the harder it is to escape from the everyday hustle and bustle and spend time at the table with friends and like-minded people, when confronted with the primitive monsters and magic.

Sincerely, Blue.
Blue
sirens hunter

Postby Mortze » Tue, 16Jul19 13:11

Affabilis wrote:Yes, it's a really good game. I really liked how they handled playing as a Malkavian.

By the way, did you know that Paradox bought Vampire's publisher White Wolf? We might get a new Vampire game somewhere along the line...

Also ended the game as a Malkavian; I sent every faction to f*ck off :)

I do hope Paradox does something good with it!

Blue wrote:But after graduation, most of my company back and we discovered the universe. The World of Darkness. I really liked the system with 10 sized dices. Not only health, the complexity of the treatment and of adventure in the modern world. A sea of opportunities, complex and biting magic ... We tried to play vampires, but then found a more suitable concept in werewolves. That was our favorite. Nearly 6 years, we have played some very interesting modules. Akin and accustomed to our characters.

I do relate with you for the nostalgy of not playing so much as I'd like. Playing with friends is such a good way to pass the time and epic adventures will always be memorable.
Yeah, I think WH40K is an awesome universe with a very bad rules system...
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby Blue » Tue, 16Jul19 15:29

Malkavianswas in vampires my favorite too )))

New Exalted give big hopes. A very interesting system and abilities, but unfortunately the quality of the artbook is very poor.

Sincerely, Blue.
Blue
sirens hunter

Postby TheGreatJoeGargery » Wed, 16Aug24 04:54

I was in Jr. High and started with "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and other Strangeness". Then I moved on to "Heroes Unlimited" and "Ninjas and Superspies" as well as "Rifts". From there I got into "Star Wars D6" and still my favorite gaming universe "Shadowrun". I didn't actually start playing DND until much later, when 3rd Edition came out.
TheGreatJoeGargery
lagoon predator

Next

Return to The beach