Goblinboy"s Legacy

A quiet place at the lagoon side for speaking about all and nothing (the financial crisis, sex, your country, sex, hobbies, or...sex)

Goblinboy"s Legacy

Postby Hoboy » Sat, 14Nov08 08:31

Thought that - as I frequent this more often than the AIF forums that this might be a good place to post this as a discussion topic (at least for me). I do know there has been quite a bit of discussion on his games/stories (ExLibris has been a strong contributor), but with his retirement a little reflection might be a fitting there.

I found this whole genre initially through Sharks Horny Afternoon series, Much time spent, and then finding things like Phreakys and Tlaeros games, ArianeB, Chaotics games, Leonizers games led me through the all sexy games thread to School Dreams 3. A revelation. Among all I've played probably the most repayable game I've played (Tlaero and Phreaky games are close). I look back at what followed and see

Meteor - a close second for me
Gift of Phallius 3 - hey, good graphics and it tried to pull the story a little closer (but not as good as Gift of Phallius 2 with virtually no graphics)
The Tesliss Equation - the wrap - and almost as good as SD3.

I see BBBen and ArianeB as his successors (to be honest, ArianeB is probably the predecessor), but the collaboration between a good writer, a good artist and - finally - a good coder is really where this can get better. I salute the one who led the way as a one person team...
Last edited by Hoboy on Sat, 14Nov08 09:20, edited 1 time in total.
Hoboy
lagoon predator

Re: Goblinboy"s Legacy

Postby Hoboy » Sat, 14Nov08 08:43

And to add to this - the AIF arena includes many extremely well written stories, with many plot twists and hidden cookies. Moist, BBBens Crossworld series, Chris Cole's stories, A Bomire, many others etc etc. Don't want to say text only isn't good...but i DO like graphics...
Hoboy
lagoon predator

Postby PinkVendetta » Sat, 14Nov08 11:36

Last edited by PinkVendetta on Wed, 14Nov26 11:34, edited 1 time in total.
PinkVendetta
star of the reef

sex: Female

Postby Mimailia » Sat, 14Nov08 13:13

PinkVendetta wrote:Thanks for the share, is there a link to this?

Most old conversations are at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aifarchive

Be advised, you have to join, and there have been discussions that you HAVE to provide a cell phone number to join these days???

Here lately though, the AIF community has decided that spreading the community over 35 or 40 different sites is a good idea - makes no sense to me - but it is what it is.

So:
DeusExLibris blogs
http://aifsansmystery.blogspot.com/
http://overanalysingaif.blogspot.com/
http://adultinteractivefiction.blogspot.com/

http://www.reddit.com/r/AIFCentral/

Games & Engines (Runners)
http://aifcommunity.org/ and at the Yahoo group(s)

There are others. Plus, a lot of authors have started their own blogs/websites, links can be found at most of the above.

Myself, I came to Sharks Lagoon FROM AIF, (long before the graphic invasion [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]). I like well written erotica.

Hoboy mentioned a lot of the greats, but there are others (One-eyed Jack et al). You might stay away from Vachon - he has turned a lot of people off of AIF.

Enjoy,

M
I can't figure out how to use the signature!
Mimailia
star of the reef

Postby Greebo » Sat, 14Nov08 16:44

Has Goblinboy retired completely? I understood he was believed to have retired when he and Kronn got together to produce the excellent 4 Episode "Photoshoot" on the lagoon's Contributor section.
Greebo
Great Master of corals

sex: Masculine

Postby Hoboy » Sat, 14Nov08 17:56

Well - from this article on ExLibris' blog it does appear so, and reading the said comment (and no posts from him in the year since) it seems real...

http://overanalysingaif.blogspot.com/2014/01/into-future.html

I could go on and on with comments on other AIF stories, but the links already provided point in all the right directions, and simple searches will provide a plethora more...
Hoboy
lagoon predator

Postby PinkVendetta » Sat, 14Nov08 19:55

PinkVendetta
star of the reef

Postby PinkVendetta » Sat, 14Nov08 19:58

PinkVendetta
star of the reef

Postby PinkVendetta » Sat, 14Nov08 20:01

PinkVendetta
star of the reef

Postby PinkVendetta » Sat, 14Nov08 20:37

PinkVendetta
star of the reef

Postby Hoboy » Sun, 14Nov09 08:31

A short list of his games - just what I have currently downloaded and playable. Anyone can add to this...

Barons_plot - First of his fantasy series
campingtrip - What started the School Dreams series - his first big acknowledgement as a force in this genre
Casabian Virus - I believe a Minicomp winner?
forefeit1-1 - really something to best leave out, as it turned into SD3
ghost - GB - another mini comp winner
gift3.rar Folder - last of the pure fantasy games/stories
indarkness1-1.rar Folder - I believe another of his mini comp winners
key2eternity - second fantasy story - while not graphically oriented it was a good bridge (and hot)
Last Horizons by GoblinBoy - and another mini comp winner
meteor_v1.1.rar Folder - college daze after school dreams, but with all new characters and carrying the fantasy theme
school dreams - he went all out with this one, with extended actions and character renderings. The standard.
TeslissEquation.rar Folder - wraps up both the school dreams/Meteor and Fantasy aspects into a cohesive story ... and the swan song (it seems...)

There are more, but I didn't keep everything. But as you can tell - a lot of his stuff has replay value in my eyes, as I kept this much,,,
Hoboy
lagoon predator

Postby Rexxx » Sun, 14Nov09 09:39

Probably Goblinboy is the author most missed from those that have quit.
Like i have read in some post maybe he wasn't the better coder, writer or graphic designer, but all around was very noteworthy as a one man team.
His game are those that i like more to replay.
The list is missing "the second guest", Gifts of Phallius: Final Sacrifice (the chapter zero of his fantasy series) and the uncut version of last horizons (without the limitations of a minicomp game).
I agree that forfeit can be not played, this game has some things interesting but he is also a bit "extreme" and at the end is
only a dream

It's also maybe better play camping (somewhere i think there's a graphic pack) trip before school dreams, a good game (aside the too long night dreams session) even if he was his first/second game.
This game was also celebrate for possible choices you can do and the consequences that you had to endure.
For me the possible choices and their results were one of the strong point in goblinboy's games, and not necessarily you were punished for those if the circumstances were right, but i don't want to do examples for not spoilering who want to play.
Personally i found goblinboy an author that loved to experiment, sometimes in his game you could do surpass some boundaries, but you weren't forced to do this, and the sexual component was very present in all his games (and he used well his images in the story).
I don't think that there is a true successor (Bbben is a veteran of the genre(even before goblinboy) and his style is different) and maybe there won't be, finding an author that writes and design good and that do this for the years necessary to have the right experience and that has a vision similar to Goblinboy it's difficult that can happen in a community that it's not so big.
I'm more hopeful in new authors that will be good for others strong points (and unfortunately the graphic part will be nearly always missing).
Last edited by Rexxx on Sun, 14Nov09 12:28, edited 3 times in total.
Rexxx
lagoon predator

Postby PinkVendetta » Sun, 14Nov09 11:09

PinkVendetta
star of the reef

Postby Rexxx » Sun, 14Nov09 12:15

I don't think the comic O' Erin continued.
In the aif community people are above all writers, it's already very rare finding people that do or try to do graphic (goblinboy if i remember right a post found this part relaxing and many times first created the images and from those found inspiration for the sexy scene), the only people that at this moment create images are bbben and Phinn (the last seems very expert) but i don't think they have thought to produce a shark type game.
Palmer is the only person that has written that was thinking on this possibility in a post
http://palmeraif.weebly.com/home/re-the ... aif-author
, but even if he decides so i don't think it will happen short run.
If you likes goblinboy's graphic he has also created images for the game "bad sister" written by another wannabe (one of his last works, before the retirement that i think true).
http://awaifgames.blogspot.it/
Rexxx
lagoon predator

Postby PinkVendetta » Sun, 14Nov09 13:59

PinkVendetta
star of the reef

Next

Return to The beach