The World

A quiet place at the lagoon side for speaking about all and nothing (the financial crisis, sex, your country, sex, hobbies, or...sex)

The World

Postby PinkVendetta » Sun, 14Oct26 10:09

Last edited by PinkVendetta on Wed, 14Nov26 11:32, edited 1 time in total.
PinkVendetta
star of the reef

sex: Female

Re: The World

Postby LRM » Sun, 14Oct26 20:59

@ Pink;
Do you understand that a large part of the Arab world's dislike of the "Great Satan" is we try to force our morals and beliefs on other sovereign nations and the peoples that reside there? The crusades themselves were in large part The Christian world attempting to convert/eliminate all non-Christians.
Any time time someone believes their way is correct and everyone that believes differently must be stopped, there's trouble.
I'll not give my opinion either for or against this discussion.
If this discussion continues as what spawned it did; it will be locked!!!
Lou
Got Wood?
LRM

sex: Masculine

Postby PinkVendetta » Sun, 14Oct26 21:51

PinkVendetta
star of the reef

Postby Squeeky » Mon, 14Oct27 00:57

Yes, why?

Hannah. You seem to come down very heavily against fluoride. Personally I am against it but just a few weeks ago the fluoride question was raised in a different environment that I frequent. My nephew, a research medical scientist, put forward quite a list documents from quite reputable sources which show that when properly administered there is no danger to humans (wait, there are those few who may have an intolerance).
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby PinkVendetta » Mon, 14Oct27 01:20

Last edited by PinkVendetta on Wed, 14Nov26 11:32, edited 2 times in total.
PinkVendetta
star of the reef

Postby Squeeky » Mon, 14Oct27 03:22

Excusez-moi si vous plaît.
"Real scientists"?
Are you disputing the fact that my nephew, a medical research scientist, does NOT come under the umbrella of a "real scientist"?

The gentleman in question is well-respected in his field and has been in demand for seminars in Europe as well as at home.
Since he has something to offer that community then he is a "real scientist".

While I cannot find the documentations in the forum to which I alluded earlier I do recall one thing that he stated which amounted to be that the delivery of fluoride in water is about 2 ppm which is too low to be considered toxic.

Go back to that youtube video and consider just how deeply is the emotion. I began to watch but it seemed that I was already hearing a strong bias. Sorry. If I am to consider a point of view I need to understand that it comes to me objectively.

I did say that I have a personal objection to fluoride so bear with me (and I wish I could locate the documentations). Somewhere in the fluoride debate was a scientist of well-repute. He engaged in fluoride research but (and this is why I need those documents) for some reason he did an 'about face' and misreported his findings.

Anyway, I think the "fluoride" debate has been done to death elsewhere. Over here GM feelings run deep, particularly with GM canola (rapeseed) and the way Monsanto's heavy handed monopoly works.
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby Greyelf » Mon, 14Oct27 03:39

Fluoride (and the related derivatives) are naturally occurring minerals, and can be found in unpolluted natural water sources. The countries that add extra Fluoride to their water sources are generally only increasing the level already there.

A short history of cars: 1769 the first steam powered auto-mobile by Nicolas-Joseph Cugnot; 1807 first car powered by an internal combustion engine fueled using hydrogen designed by François Isaac de Rivaz; 1828 first small model car powered electric motor by Ányos Jedlik; 1835 a car powered by non-rechargeable primary cells by Sibrandus Stratingh; 1886 the first petrol/gasoline powered car by Karl Benz. As you can see there were cars before the petrol/gasoline powered internal combustion.

The 'West' is not actually a thing, the countries that are generally thought to belong to this made up group actually have different histories, cultures, politics and social opinions, some of these over lap between the countries and some don't. A simple example is in Australia all eligible adult (18+) citizens must register and vote in political elections and are fined if they don't, whereas in the US it is not compulsory.
Greyelf
star of the reef

Postby Squeeky » Mon, 14Oct27 07:17

I saw the above comment earlier but chose not to read it as I had suggested that the "Fluoride" debate had run to its extent elsewhere.

The "car history" is interesting.

I also like how you "define" the "West".
In that statement you refer to Australia.
Many here would agree that much of the Australian "persona" relates to the rebellious spirit of those transported from the "mother country". That is reflected in our colonial literature in more ways than one.
The USA also had its specific problems with the "mother country" but those early colonies were founded on a different base. Early settlements were organised and structured as back "home". Over-simplifying: The mix of the "cotton plantation" elite and the religiously persecuted (Pilgrim Fathers) cannot be discounted as factors behind the American "persona".
Yes, the "West" is a concept being framed from practices embodied by nations which have their roots somehow still embedded in their Roman-Grecian heritage.
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby Greyelf » Mon, 14Oct27 08:53

Being an ex-Sandgroper I like to believe that the influx of people from non anglo-celtic cultures over the last 70ish year has helped broaden our persona but then what people believe is not always true. :crazy:

I also believe that the USA might have a little persecution complex left over from the British Invasion. The whole Right to Arm Bears due to the general public need to protect their homes from invaders but I'm from a different culture so who am I to say they are wrong.
Greyelf
star of the reef

Postby LRM » Mon, 14Oct27 09:05

I'm afraid our greatest threat today lies with our own politicians! One more reason to NOT register gun owners. One of the Norse countries recently registered all gun owners. It was followed shortly after by a tax that removed the vast majority of guns. Anyone from there that can fill this in? Gimme the facts Ma'am, just the facts.
Lou
I can't justify any current gun that was designed to kill man! Why do you need a 50 shot clip to hunt deer, bear, duck, or anything but man. That said, I think most sporting rifles today were developed during WW2. But there should be a limit on the amount of ammo any gun carries. I owned a 5 shot 20 gauge pump (given to my sister). Why would you ever need to expend 5 shots to bring down a pheasant or cotton tail? And if you did you may as well dine out, probably cheaper to eat in the best restaurant in town.
Got Wood?
LRM

Postby PinkVendetta » Mon, 14Oct27 10:04

Last edited by PinkVendetta on Wed, 14Nov26 11:32, edited 3 times in total.
PinkVendetta
star of the reef

Postby PinkVendetta » Mon, 14Oct27 10:45

Last edited by PinkVendetta on Wed, 14Nov26 11:32, edited 2 times in total.
PinkVendetta
star of the reef

Postby PinkVendetta » Mon, 14Oct27 12:07

PinkVendetta
star of the reef

Postby Greebo » Mon, 14Oct27 14:54

Are you gullible, Hannah, or are you just out to provoke? No matter what the source, energy is expended when providing motive power, whether it is used to compress air, electrolyse water into hydrogen and oxygen, or convert the hydrolysed aluminium oxide sludge from an aluminium-air battery back into fresh pure aluminium battery plates.

The aluminium-air battery seems to me to be one of the more sensible new technologies, since the "fuel" (pure aluminium plates) stores a massive amount of energy, weight for weight, compared with others, and yet is not likely to explode in an accident. It would probably be best used in conjunction with a more conventional secondary battery or even limited air compression so that regenerative braking can be employed for efficiency savings
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby PinkVendetta » Mon, 14Oct27 15:22

PinkVendetta
star of the reef

Next

Return to The beach