Poisson d'avril

A quiet place at the lagoon side for speaking about all and nothing (the financial crisis, sex, your country, sex, hobbies, or...sex)

Poisson d'avril

Postby Squeeky » Sun, 12Apr01 01:27

I reflect upon childhood years.
We have an indigenous weed known as a "Bathurst Burr". The plant is like a small green shrub with sharp needle points (about 1" long) to protect the burr. Two or three of this ova shapes are about the size of a garden pea. They have hooks rather like those of "velcro" (maybe that is where that product had its origins). Pre noon we'd play our jokes but afternoon translated to "pig-tail day". We'd get strips of cloth, attach a burr to one end and then try to secretly attach it to the back of someone. The joke worked two ways, being caught trying or not realising that you had been tagged.

In Australian TV infancy a news service carried a story of how the national phone provider ran some people with the view to clear dust from their telephone lines. The customer was instructed to place the handset in a paperbag and wait for a few minutes whilst the technician blew compressed air down the line to remove debris.

Whilst on this subject, yet to check, quite some years back the BBC had a documentary relating to the growing and harvesting of spaghetti in Switzerland (?). I don't think that was related to April 1.

Oh, LRM, let us not sacrifice fishes needlessly today! :lol:
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

sex: Masculine

Re: Poisson d'avril

Postby Graen » Sun, 12Apr01 01:59

And so it begins...

Google Maps 8-bit for NES: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rznYifPHxDg
Image LoPteam.blogspot.com
Image graenwerks.blogspot.com
Graen
legend of the South Seas

Postby Squeeky » Sun, 12Apr01 03:21

Graen wrote:And so it begins...

Google Maps 8-bit for NES: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rznYifPHxDg

Saw that on FB this morning, posted by nephew.
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby Loup Garou » Sun, 12Apr01 04:14

I sooooooooo want a copy of that. Really....... I do........ 8-)
Loup Garou
star of the reef

Postby Greebo » Sun, 12Apr01 11:29

Squeeky wrote:quite some years back the BBC had a documentary relating to the growing and harvesting of spaghetti in Switzerland (?). I don't think that was related to April 1.

It was actually. If I remember rightly it was on the BBC program 'Panorama'

By the way, the jokey 8 bit Google Maps implementation was put up on the site before April 1st -- My son pointed me to it last night. Even the Streetview facility is available in 8 bit graphics -- it was weird seeing my house and car in glorious 8 bit colour!

Edit: Oops! I was forgetting that the International Dateline was the opposite side of the world to the UK and the Greenwich Meridian! -- Big mistake when dealing with international April Fool pranksters!
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby Squeeky » Mon, 13Apr01 09:29

Here we are again.

I recall from my High School French classes the Madame exposing that a fool was presented with a small dead fish but a child would be given a chocolate one. That statement was made 50 years ago. I wonder what the practice is now. Shark, or one of our French associates, might give us an insight.

I must revisit the above comments to refresh my mind too - like what was that youtube?
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby ttant » Mon, 13Apr01 09:46

Squeeky wrote:I recall from my High School French classes the Madame exposing that a fool was presented with a small dead fish but a child would be given a chocolate one. That statement was made 50 years ago. I wonder what the practice is now. Shark, or one of our French associates, might give us an insight.

15 years ago, we used to cut paper in fish shape in order to scotch it on the back of other people, like that :
ttant
star of the reef

Postby Greebo » Mon, 13Apr01 10:42

Hmm -- maybe I'd better start cutting out a few paper sharks. [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby shark » Mon, 13Apr01 11:57

In any case, the "google map 8bits" program works perfectly. I found a picture of my house!!!

myhouse.jpg
myhouse.jpg (19.36 KiB) Viewed 4011 times
shark
Site Admin

Postby kessie8yl » Thu, 13May23 01:32

Greebo wrote:
Squeeky wrote:quite some years back the BBC had a documentary relating to the growing and harvesting of spaghetti in Switzerland (?). I don't think that was related to April 1.

It was actually. If I remember rightly it was on the BBC program 'Panorama'

By the way, the jokey 8 bit Google Maps implementation was put up on the site before April 1st -- My son pointed me to it last night. Even the Streetview facility is available in 8 bit graphics -- it was weird seeing my house and car in glorious 8 bit colour!

Edit: Oops! I was forgetting that the International Dateline was the opposite side of the world to the UK and the Greenwich Meridian! -- Big mistake when dealing with international April Fool pranksters!

The spaghetti tree item was back in 1957 - it was an April Fool thing.. The BBC carried so much authority back then many people were convinced it had to be true :))

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/april/1/newsid_2819000/2819261.stm
kessie8yl
legend of the South Seas

Return to The beach