Music

A quiet place at the lagoon side for speaking about all and nothing (the financial crisis, sex, your country, sex, hobbies, or...sex)

Re: Music

Postby David » Fri, 09May15 20:23

co90921 wrote :
I also saw Pat Benatar perform with the Steve Miller Band a few years ago. Ms. Benetar still can sing like she did early in her career.

I've got a Pat Benatar greatest hits cd, she had a great voice back in the 80's. Never seen her live, I have to make do with a few clips on youtube...
David
star of the reef

sex: Masculine

Postby co90921 » Fri, 09May15 23:04

David:

Pat Benatar did not strut around the stage when she sang like she did when she was younger. However, like most of her fans in the audience, they do not move as freely either, including myself!! Her voice is still powerful....
co90921
star of the reef

Postby FOOLK1LLAH » Mon, 13Mar18 08:30

I like almost every genre except country and polka.
Seven minutes. Seven minutes is all I can spare to play with you.
FOOLK1LLAH
great white shark

Postby spitzertyp » Fri, 13Mar22 12:38

There's a new record out from David Bowie...
spitzertyp
Games Master

Postby junior366 » Sun, 13May19 18:27

The 70's were a GREAT decade for music! I like listening to Styx, Queen, Kiss, REO Speedwagon, Cheap Trick & ELO.
junior366
Pilot fish

Postby Ghost dog » Mon, 13May20 11:21

Eminem,Rakim,2Pac.
It seems I'm the only one who likes rap. :(
Ghost dog
great white shark

Postby fleet » Mon, 13May20 16:25

Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons" (not to be confused with Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, ).
Check out my latest adult visual novel "After She Left"
at http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4363
I moderate at http://undertow.club
fleet
Great Master of corals

Postby ViniCent » Tue, 13May21 02:52

My "main" genre would be Gothic with bands like ASP (favourite band ever), Samsas Traum, Januns...
After that there is my love for EBM, Synthpop, Electronic (Ashbury Heights is my favourite at the time) and german Punk/Rock.
ViniCent
Pilot fish

Postby kessie8yl » Wed, 13May22 13:22

Cathare wrote:I like all kind of music but mostly prog. I'm hooked on Gentle Giant, Alan Parsons and The Strawbs (even more so since they came to Montréal last month).

I can't help but smile when I see names of bands that have been around and playing the same stuff since the days of the dinosaur while hanging on to the label "prog" - but whatever gets your groove on is good :)

My taste's very eclectic too.. Growing up in the 60's and having a sister 10 years older than I am, I've often been told I "couldn't possibly remember that song"... Holly, Fats Domino, Little Richard, Ben E King, watching the Beatles TV debut on "Thank Your Lucky Stars" and later RSG (Cathy McGowan *sighs*)... Aretha, Otis, Sam & Dave.

James Brown!!

I'm very surprised there's been no mention of the Small Faces so far, or the Yardbirds or even John Mayall (without whom there may never have been a Led Zep, Fleetwood Mac or Cream to name just three). It would be remiss of me to forget an old friend and drop the name Alex Harvey into the mix too.

Little or no mention of Stevie Wonder either! Count the Grammys guys! What's up? Too mainstream for you or something? :lol:
kessie8yl
legend of the South Seas

Postby David » Wed, 13Jun19 18:05

We had the Stone Music Festival in Sydney a few months back.

Mostly Australian acts, but there were several big names from overseas.

Billy Joel, Aerosmith, Kings of Chaos & Van Halen were the shows most people were looking forward to seeing. It was over two days, Billy Joel was the only big name on the Sunday & I've seen him several previous times, so I made sure I went on the Saturday.

Kings of Chaos put on a great show, if they do a tour here again I'll definitely try to see them again. Aerosmith I thought were a bit disappointing, that may have been because I was only really interested in seeing Van Halen. And Van Halen didn't let me down, what a show!! If Van Halen tour here again I'll be looking to get a ticket.

[img]images/icones/icon15.gif[/img]
David
star of the reef

Postby spitzertyp » Fri, 13Oct04 12:17

I am wondering if anyone in the lagoon does know Prefab Sprout?
Today the new Album is released, called Crimson/Red.
It is absolute stunning.
I am into Paddy McAloon's Prefab Sprout since the 80ies; on some mysterious ways i found them with their first album "Swoon", which still excites me nearly 25years later. Since then i am a fan and admirer of McAloon.
Anyone else?
spitzertyp
Games Master

Postby ExtraStiffy » Sat, 13Oct05 01:01

My tastes are far-ranging and eclectic. I like almost everything, from as far back as Bach, up to... well, normally I'd say "today", but there isn't much (if any) stuff today that I like / listen to. The last band I seriously followed was New Order (Joy Division). I think the "New Wave" segment of music was the last I really felt a part of. Since then, there have been forays into groups like "The Indulgers", "Gaelic Storm", "Flogging Molly", "Hevia" (not bad, considering he's asthmatic). As I type this, I am listening to Earth, Wind, & Fire, playing, "Fantasy".

Like I said... eclectic...
Don't sweat the petty things. And while you're at it... don't pet the sweaty things.
ExtraStiffy
great white shark

Postby Gandalf » Sun, 13Oct27 16:47

Well i'll be damned there ARE some old codgers here.I just turned 63 and usually FEEL the generation gap in most forums.I'm an old hippie and rock has always been my favorite music genre.I used to sing in a band in the 60's in Fort Worth Texas.It would be against the law now for teens to play in a nightclub but not so then.

On the weekends we'd setup about eight and play all night long.We played everything from Elvis to The Beatles for tips.One regular there loved Sam The Sham And The Pharaohs,specifically LIL RED RIDING HOOD and would tip us generously every time we played it.He would set at the bar and howl ,cracked us up.

I still love the old rock stuff best and am not aware of what's happening in rock today.The new stuff like rap and hiphop i don't quite understand.Not saying it's bad it just doesn't resonate to this old hippie like rock and roll does.
Last edited by Gandalf on Mon, 13Oct28 14:26, edited 1 time in total.
My mod sharing blog.
http://gandalfsvixenzone.blogspot.com/
Gandalf
great white shark

Postby Squeeky » Mon, 13Oct28 03:55

From one old CODGER to another, I don't care too much for much of what hear on the wireless either; upsets the headphones! :lol:

No, I played with a Xtal set for a bit in my early teens, great amusement.

Depending upon my mood I don't mind Classics. My last primary school teacher gave us a good foundation by introducing us to works that involved a story, eg The Nutcracker Suite, Peter and the Wolf, The Animal Suite, ....

Fortunately the station to which we normal listen offers pop stuff that is generally easily to understand, not a condensed gabble of dialogue needing some "alien" dictionary to translate.
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby Gandalf » Mon, 13Oct28 16:48

Ah, i binged "Xtal set" so by "band" you thought i meant a shortwave band radio?In the US band is like group, as in, musical group or those that perform music together with musical instruments.So no i didn't sing into a shortwave band radio in a nightclub for tips.Funny that.

As for musicals the only musical i liked or ever set through,in it's entirety, was Hair.The hippie tribal rock musical.
Classical music, like Bach,Beethoven or Wagner ,i have to admit, i enjoyed when i was stoned.

When i was young,teens through 20's, i went through phases during which i would listen to nothing but Led Zeppelin,Stones,The Doors or Jethro Tull.Loved John Lennon's stuff after he broke with The Beatles,Cold Turkey was crazy good.

Today i don't set down and listen to music much anymore.Actually i don't have to for i've always got something going through my head.Early this morning it was Joan Jett,I Love Rock and Roll now it's Led Zeppelin's Black Dog.Marijuana is supposed to screw up your memory but i think it just replaces the unimportant memory's with rock music.
My mod sharing blog.
http://gandalfsvixenzone.blogspot.com/
Gandalf
great white shark

PreviousNext

Return to The beach