Scaling images

A quiet place at the lagoon side for speaking about all and nothing (the financial crisis, sex, your country, sex, hobbies, or...sex)

Re: Scaling images

Postby qbv8 » Mon, 09May18 04:10

60nowise writes:
to sharkfan: I looked to "paint", but I couldn't find out, how to resize a picture with this program. Just for interest and for learning: would you tell me, how it works?

Start paint with the image you want to scale. Choose menu entry
[*]Image -> Stretch/Skew
A popup window appears. Now enter the percentages you would like e.g.:
[*]Horizontal: 70%
[*]Vertical: 70%
[*]and Press "OK"
That's it.

And the photoshop wizards and sorceresses here in the lagoon would kill me for using "paint" ... :)
qbv8
star of the reef

sex: Masculine

Postby LRM » Mon, 09May18 04:22

Thanks qbv8 & fan. I wasn't aware of this feature in Paint. It can also be saved in other formats.
The program I offered lets you select pixels, percent, or print size. And the print size offers inches, CMs, or MMs. Good day today... I learned something new... Will I retain it tomorrow?
L
For rep... memory is another area that weakens with age.
Got Wood?
LRM

Postby qbv8 » Mon, 09May18 04:30

In case you have Microsoft Office on your machine, you probably also have a program that is called "Microsoft Office Picture Manager" (Start -> Programs -> Microsoft Office -> Microsoft Office Tools -> Microsoft Office Picture Manager).

This software has some more elaborated possibilities to manipulate pictures than "paint".

And of course, if you want to enter the realms of the professional programs, you can try Adobe Photoshop (expensive!) or use gimp http://www.gimp.org/ the GNU Image Manipulation Program (free software) which offers you nearly any feature for 2D image manipulation that you could imagine.

And speaking of 3D ... well, that is a completely different story.
qbv8
star of the reef

Postby qbv8 » Mon, 09May18 04:45

LRM, don't push so much on your age and memory: as we increase in age, our memory abstracts to retain the really important and relevant people, events, situations, things in our life. And I very much doubt that the operation of a certain piece of software is something to be regarded as relevant or important.

Wisdom is (among others) the ability to differentiate between relevance and irrelevance.
qbv8
star of the reef

Postby LRM » Mon, 09May18 04:48

My Gateway Desktop (XP) Came with a Microsoft picture utility. Her Dell Laptop (Vista) did not. She is familiar with FastStone, made sense to add it to both computers. There is no way I could justify the expense involved with Photoshop. My programming expertise is limited to Excel.
L
No one residing within these walls is complaining of changes. It was a humorous response to a barb tossed in a different thread. It takes me all night to do what I did all night... Her smile is much wider! Speed is not always a good thing.
Got Wood?
LRM

Postby qbv8 » Mon, 09May18 04:54

Very well: if you are familiar with a piece of software, and this serves you well, then there is no need to get accustomed to something else.

I still use GNU Emacs since 1986 for a lot of tasks I have to perform on a computer (although image manipulation is among the few tasks that Emacs can not accomplish).
qbv8
star of the reef

Postby qbv8 » Mon, 09May18 05:16

3D image manipulation software
Just to extend the list of tools to 3D image, I would like to mention a piece of software I personally regard as the best one in this area: Maya.

Maya is the culmination of three 3D software lines: Wavefront's The Advanced Visualizer (in California), Thomson Digital Image (TDI) Explore (in France) and Alias' Power Animator (in Canada). In 1993 Wavefront purchased TDI, and in 1995 Silicon Graphics Incorporated (SGI) purchased both Alias and Wavefront (due to pressure from Microsoft's purchase of Softimage earlier that year) and combined them into one working company, producing a single package from their collective source code. The combined company was referred to as Alias|Wavefront. In the mid-1990s, the most popular pipeline in Hollywood films was a combination of tools: Alias Studio for modeling, Softimage for animation, and PhotoRealistic RenderMan for rendering.[2] This combination was used for numerous films, such as Jurassic Park, The Abyss and Terminator 2: Judgement Day. It took Alias|Wavefront two more years after the merger to release Maya.

Both Alias and Wavefront were working on their next generation of software at the time of the merger. Alias had taken a Macintosh product, "Alias Sketch!", moved it to the SGI platform and added many features to it. The code name for this project was "Maya", the Sanskrit term for "illusion." Maya was developed in close collaboration with Walt Disney Feature Animation, during the production of Dinosaur, and the GUI was all customizable as a requirement from Disney so they could set up their own GUI and workflow based on decades of animation experience. This had a large impact on the openness of Maya and later also helped the software become an industry standard, since many facilities implement extensive proprietary customization of the software to gain competitive advantage.

It was then decided to adopt Alias' "Maya" architecture, and merge Wavefront's code with it.

Upon its release in 1998, Alias|Wavefront discontinued all previous animation-based software lines including Alias Power Animator, encouraging consumers to upgrade to Maya. It succeeded in expanding its product line to take over a great deal of market share, with leading visual effects companies such as Industrial Light and Magic and Tippett Studio switching from Softimage to Maya for the animation software.

Later, Alias|Wavefront was renamed Alias. In 2003, Alias was sold by SGI to the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan and the private equity investment firm Accel-KKR. In October 2005, Alias was sold again, this time to Autodesk, and on January 10, 2006, Autodesk completed the acquisition and Alias Maya is now known as Autodesk Maya.

Maya was used to create the highly detailed worlds, characters and creatures of Star Wars and many other films.

A great piece of Art in itself.

A very nice 10-minute Maya Spaceship Tutorial can be seen on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAHffOISTNw
qbv8
star of the reef

Postby 60nowise » Mon, 09May18 17:00

Hello qbv8, LRM, something is going wrong! I saw, I got a pm from LRM, but I cannot open and read it; I wanted to write this in a pm to him and it wasn't sent. In the moment I have a very old computer, but this cannot be the reason.
60nowise
star of the reef

Postby qbv8 » Mon, 09May18 21:22

Hi 60nowise, I will write a PM to Arnulf. As a moderator he can have a closer look at that problem. There have been problems like this in the past, Arnulf might know the cause and the cure.
qbv8
star of the reef

Postby qbv8 » Mon, 09May18 22:01

60nowise, schreib mal eine PM an Arnulf.
qbv8
star of the reef

Postby 60nowise » Mon, 09May18 23:55

Ich hatte doch schon wegen des Avatars eine PM an Arnulf geschrieben, da habe ich auch schon gemerkt, dass meine PMs nicht rausgehen
60nowise
star of the reef

Postby Craban » Tue, 09May19 00:52

A very nice 10-minute Maya Spaceship Tutorial can be seen on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAHffOISTNw

A kid's voice - that's not fair. Should that make us look silly? ... it works. :)
Craban
star of the reef

Postby LRM » Tue, 09May19 01:17

60nowise wrote : Hello qbv8, LRM, something is going wrong! I saw, I got a pm from LRM, but I cannot open and read it; I wanted to write this in a pm to him and it wasn't sent. In the moment I have a very old computer, but this cannot be the reason.

When you didn't reply I deleted it. It was an offer to reset your avatar and included my email address. Would you like my email address?
L
See option below smileys... thanks Arnulf
Got Wood?
LRM

Postby 60nowise » Tue, 09May19 19:52

Hello LRM, it's very kind of you, to offer your email address to me, but since I cannot read any PMs you would have to make it public. But it is in the moment not necessary, as you can see, I've got my avatar with your helfull hints, you gave to me. Many thanks, 60.
60nowise
star of the reef

Postby qbv8 » Tue, 09May19 20:08

Hi 60nowise,
is your user name possibly related to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoyG57EiR0U ?

Great actor, great song, great text!

:)
qbv8
star of the reef

Next

Return to The beach