Murphy's Law

A quiet place at the lagoon side for speaking about all and nothing (the financial crisis, sex, your country, sex, hobbies, or...sex)

Re: Murphy's Law

Postby David » Fri, 10Feb05 18:57

Arnulf wrote : HI, these things were investigated and hide no physical secret;

The thing with the bread and butter is a bit complicated. It is a simple effect of normal physics: The tables, from where usually breads-and-butter are falling, are all of similar high. That means, that the conditions of rotation ímpulse, weight, high and position of heavy and light parts are quite similar every time and so it is also with the result. If you are changing the conditions dramatically (for exanple, let the bread fall from the double high) you are getting completely different results.

I can't remember the results, but Mythbusters did a show on this topic some years back.
David
star of the reef

sex: Masculine

Postby Greebo » Fri, 10Feb05 19:01

@ DiTo Now you're putting words in my mouth! (...and interesting thoughts in my head too!)

What was I thinking - it's on the tip of my tongue? Image
“Anyone who believes what a cat tells him deserves all he gets.”
― Neil Gaiman
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby Newdood » Tue, 10Feb09 08:52

Luke says:
According to the laws that a cat always land on its feets, and that a slice of bread and butter always falls on its buttery side, if you tie slices of bread and butter on the back of a cat (with the buttery side upside, of course), when you lanch the cat in the air, the two laws should cancel each other out, and the cat never touch the ground.

Of COURSE that one won't work - the bread wouldn't touch the ground if the cat landed on its feet. What you gotta do it tie the bread - buttery side UP - on the bottom of the cat's feet, so it's forced toward the ground butter-side UP when the cat gets oriented right.

The only reason everybody doesn't know this already is that nobody's figured out how to get a cat to hold still enough to get bread tied to all four feet!
When it comes to binary, there are 10 kinds of people - those who get and those who don't!
Newdood
star of the reef

Postby Greebo » Tue, 10Feb09 13:24

Being an English man, my preference is actually to use toast and marmalade rather than bread and butter. It is a well known fact among the scientifically minded cognoscenti of my country that, compared with butter, marmalade has an overwhelming affinity with pristine carpeting that is an almost perfect match with the desire of a desperate cat to get its feet under it for landing the right way up.

The marmalade approach has the added advantage that the cat infinitely prefers the taste of butter and is much less likely to lick off the marmalade. This leads to the tendency for the cat/marmalade combination to remain elevated above the ground for a superior length of time.
“Anyone who believes what a cat tells him deserves all he gets.”
― Neil Gaiman
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby Rikwar » Thu, 10Feb11 19:13

Hmmm this all very interesting.....now to find my neighbors cat !
The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it
Rikwar
Great Master of corals

Postby Tjommi » Tue, 10Feb16 13:17

I can help you with that. To catch a cat you need be the prey. Demonstrated in the video here :
http://www.videoschistosos.net/un-gato- ... e3f25.html
Tjommi
star of the reef

Previous

Return to The beach