Polynesian Mermaids

A quiet place at the lagoon side for speaking about all and nothing (the financial crisis, sex, your country, sex, hobbies, or...sex)

Re: Polynesian Mermaids

Postby co90921 » Mon, 09Jul06 18:39

During the last previous weeks, many among us have become very interested in a new Lagoon member: Raelee. She has indirectly sparked much interest in Polynesian Culture here in the Lagoon. I would like to know more about Polynesian Mermaids. Much has been written about the South Pacific Islands from Mutiny on the Bounty to Gilligan's Island (my humor). My father was there during World War Two (1945) and just loved it. Below is a quotation from Herb Kawainui Kane's book on British Capitan James Cook's Hawaii Expedition, Voyagers, in 1779.

"In a letter to a friend [David Samwell] expressed an opinion that was universal among British seamen: "The Natives of all the South Sea Islands... are a good natured humane & well disposed People in my opinion much superior to ourselves in those respects—the Women are well made, exceedingly clean and have very beautiful Faces, when we add to this that they are universally goodnatured and of a merry agreeable Disposition & always possessed of a good Flow of Spirits, what the Devil can we wish for more, till we get to Heaven." ...How Polynesians, who bathed at every opportunity, could bear standing downwind of 18th century Europeans, much less embrace them, Samwell does not discuss."

*David Samwell was a surgeons mate on Cook's expedition to Hawaii.

Pay close attention to the last paragraph!!!!

I do not know if Hawaii is considered a true part of Polynesia, however the British did in those times. Unfortunately for Captain Cook, he angered his hosts and his body is still there!!

Any information concerning Polynesian Culture (including Mermaids) would be helpful to me as well as others here in the Lagoon. [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]
co90921
star of the reef

sex: Masculine

Postby Jackadict » Mon, 09Jul06 18:45

Since French atomic bomb, i'm sure you can found a lot of ugggly monster in polynésian islands
Jackadict
star of the reef

Postby co90921 » Tue, 09Jul07 07:19

Let us see if Photobucket deletes this from here again...... [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]

Our little friend from Samoa.
co90921
star of the reef

Postby luke » Tue, 09Jul07 11:36

Image Hummmm... Image very nice mermaid Image yummy Image
Que la Force de Shark soit avec toi / May the Shark Force be with you
luke

Postby coder » Tue, 09Jul07 16:09

Her waist is too small for my taste. What can I say, I like big butts and I can not lie.
coder
lagoon predator

Postby Raelee » Fri, 09Jul10 01:52

Image Many of the deities that the Kahuna's taught my people about were meremen and meremaids. The creator of the earth and life was a mereman. Meremaids if angered could conjur huge storms. They could also move the fish away from your nets and cause hardship. Many offerings were floated out to sea to placiate and please them. Probably the strangest my great grandmother told me of. A new mother would lay her child at the edge of the water then wade out with her man beside her. She would have him nurse her till he had a mouth full of her milk, then spit it into the sea. It was a plea/offering to all the sea spirits, asking them Image to treat the child with love through out its life.

Love the picture, but the darned missionary's have been here allready. Who ever heard of a mermaid wearing a bra...........?
Raelee
Princess of the islands

Postby shark » Fri, 09Jul10 02:40

That's true, Raelee.... and it is an obvious infringing of the lagoon rules, dressed mermaids are STRICTLY prohibited.
http://sharks-lagoon.aceboard.fr/215394 ... osting.htm

shark
Site Admin

Postby co90921 » Fri, 09Jul10 06:18

Shark: She is sorry about not reading the new "Mermaids cannot wear any Bras" Rule while in the Lagoon. The new page was not inserted in her Shark's Lagoon Manual. [img]smile/biggrin.gif[/img] However, she is very happy to comply with the "no bra rule" and appreciates your complete understanding.

Excellent work Shark.

Raelee: Nice insight on the Polynesian traditions/folklore that you posted. [img]images/icones/icon7.gif[/img] [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]
co90921
star of the reef

Postby Cloé » Fri, 09Jul10 16:15

'cause of this rule, now I must take off my top before connecting to the forum.............
Cloé
legend of the South Seas

Postby co90921 » Fri, 09Jul10 16:31

Cloé wrote : 'cause of this rule, now I must take off my top before connecting to the forum.............

Oh oui Cloe ', et vous en particulier ...... Do not be modest... be proud..go ahead and flaunt them. [img]smile/pouceup.gif[/img] [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]
co90921
star of the reef

Postby qbv8 » Fri, 09Jul10 17:07

Yes, Cloé, this leaves room for imagination. And in case it would be cold, just drop us a note here: I am pretty sure that there would be no lack of volunteers to help you warm up
qbv8
star of the reef

Postby co90921 » Fri, 09Jul10 17:51

Raelee:

I was just reading about Polynesian Culture concerning the pe'a. I was just curious if you have one. I understand that it is a painful procedure. Something about bamboo and tortoiseshell tools do not sit well with me..Ouch! [img]kator/smiley26.gif[/img]

"Talofa Lava"! [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]
co90921
star of the reef

Postby coder » Fri, 09Jul10 22:35

Just stumbled upon this site
Not specifically about Polynesian Mermaids, but a nice site with all kind of mermaids, mostly pictures and a bit of story.
warning: Not all mermaids there follow the proper dresscode.
coder
lagoon predator

Postby Raelee » Sat, 09Jul11 04:09

Image co90201 I shudder at the thought of a Pe'a. I work very hard at keeping my body fit. Even the thought of a small tatoo turns me off. You are straining my poor small memory, but thank you for the welcome. Image
Raelee
Princess of the islands

Postby Squeeky » Sat, 09Jul11 04:13

Cloé wrote : 'cause of this rule, now I must take off my top before connecting to the forum.............

Pardon? When you sit beside the comments you posts you are topless! Is there something wrong your browser or my eyesight?

Ah! Been talking with Raelee, hypnotised into believing!!
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Next

Return to The beach