Pecking Order

A quiet place at the lagoon side for speaking about all and nothing (the financial crisis, sex, your country, sex, hobbies, or...sex)

Re: Pecking Order

Postby Squeeky » Sun, 09Jul19 03:48

I had noticed for sometime that various users had phrases appearing beneath their usernames, "pilot fish", "lagoon predator", etc.

It was only a few months back that someone made mention that these were "rankings".

Ok, that being the case, I understand that a "pilot fish" is a "minnow" in the gret ocean so to speak, and the "great white shark" is not the Australian golfer (Greg Norman) but our Shark.

I do not see a subject thread which addresses these and would be interested in how hierarchy of these terms and how one moves through them, I note that at this time I appear to rate as "lagon predator" which must mean something of some standing but of not the importance of one termed "Master of Corals".
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

sex: Masculine

Postby Arnulf » Sun, 09Jul19 07:34

Hi, Squeeky, the phrases appearing beneath the usernames are indeed rankings, depending strictly on the numbers of posts a member has written here in the forum:

1 up to 9 pilot fish
10 up to 24 sirens hunter
25 up to 99 great white shark
100 up to 249 lagoon predator
250 up to 499 star of the reef
500 up to 999 legend of the South Seas
1000 up to ? Great Master of corals
Arnulf
Master of the skies and the waves

Postby Squeeky » Sun, 09Jul19 09:13

Merci, bien. Et pardon moi pour mon indiscretion "Great Master of corals".

My French is not good, 40+ years of almost no acquaintance. I did not properly check "Master of Corals".

Apart from now is that information somewhere in a public area within the bounds of this forum? As I indicated above I could not locate it but it probably has little importance.
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby qbv8 » Sun, 09Jul19 09:20

Image Oh, oh, Squeeky, you really like the danger, don't you? It is not "Master of Corals", it is "Great Master of Corals".
qbv8
star of the reef

Postby Arnulf » Sun, 09Jul19 09:50

Hi, Squeeky, this information is only an empiric one, because the official terms of this ranking are not written down anywhere in this forum. The reason therefor is, that these ranking titles are given automatically, that means, is isn't important to know anything about this ranking, because you cannot do anything on it. In the past there must have been made some corrections in order to satisfy our beloved mermaid Cloé, who needed ranking titles also for female members. So, the "Lord of the reef" has been changed into "star of the reef" and the "prince of the South Seas" has been changed into "legend of the South Seas"
Arnulf
Master of the skies and the waves

Postby shark » Sun, 09Jul19 11:01

for fun, we could change this ranking… somebody has proposals ?
shark
Site Admin

Postby Squeeky » Sun, 09Jul19 15:54

@qvb8:
ImageOh, oh, Squeeky, you really like the danger, don't you? It is not "Master of Corals", it is "Great Master of Corals".

Danger? Mais oui! But while I did not embolden "Great" you capitalised "Coral"! Who walks on egg shells?

@Arnulf: I sensed some editorial licence which prompted my asking.

@Shark: What is the first considered organism of the food chain, plankton? Who wants to be considered easy prey?

Then too, how big is our lagoon? In size a Blue Whale would outrank even a whaleshark!

But then, do the merpeople hold magics that empower them beyond their size?
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby LRM » Mon, 09Jul20 00:54

Squeeky wrote :
Then too, how big is our lagoon? In size a Blue Whale would outrank even a whale shark!

I think the Great White Shark is the largest predator land or sea; Blue Whales and Whale Sharks are filter feeders and eat huge quantities of very small creatures.
L
By Size ± :
Blue Whale - 100 feet - largest
Fin Whale - 88 feet
Whale Shark - 40 feet
But these all eat plankton... yum
I prefer Mermaids... that want to eat me, and vice versa
Got Wood?
LRM

Postby qbv8 » Mon, 09Jul20 00:59

I suggest introducing a dolphin.
qbv8
star of the reef

Postby LRM » Mon, 09Jul20 01:06

An Orca may be the largest predator, but they demonstrate no malice toward man or woman. They are the largest members of the Dolphin family.
Great Whites rarely consume humans but aren't beyond the occasional taste... often an arm or leg.
L
I think this one is female, the males have very high dorsal fins.
They are a matriarchal society... If you expect to get any from me you'll do as I say!!! [img]kator/smiley115.gif[/img]

Shark what about
Son of Neptune/Poseidon - God of the sea?
Daughter of Atargatis - Goddess of Fishes?
http://www.thaliatook.com/OGOD/atargatis.html
Got Wood?
LRM

Postby Cloé » Mon, 09Jul20 22:23

Hey guy !!!
the lagoon have a hot water...... no place for a whale or an orca !
we can find some jellyfish or shellfish !!!
Cloé
legend of the South Seas

Postby qbv8 » Mon, 09Jul20 22:29

Besides all this discussion: the pecking order here is completely independent of the number of posts.

:) ... think about this ... :)
qbv8
star of the reef

Postby Squeeky » Mon, 09Dec21 10:43

qbv8 wrote : Besides all this discussion: the pecking order here is completely independent of the number of posts.

:) ... think about this ... :)

This thread went into remission. I had to recall how my first question was answered. The follow-on has been intriguing.

Paraphrasing:
qbv8 :) ... think about this ... :)
the pecking order here is completely independent of the number of posts ....

Which I take infers that:
... She who wields charms (not necessarily magical) wields power! ....

I count two definites and one using subliminals! [img]kator/smiley33.gif[/img]
And none are being aggressive, which is nice. [img]images/icones/icon10.gif[/img]
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby Newdood » Mon, 09Dec21 19:37

Hey Squeeky
Thanks for resurrecting this thread - I've been curious about this question myself.

I understand that the curent "rankings" system is strictly for fun, and doesn't have any significance in the REAL pecking order, but I've been thinking it could be of value if it was changed a little bit.

I don't know if it'd even be possible with the Aceboard forum system or if it'd just be something to keep in mind when looking for alternative forum homes, but a ranking system COULD be used to make things easier on the moderators.

I've rambled at length on this subject on page 3 of
http://sharks-lagoon.aceboard.fr/215394 ... h-sfd2.htm

(another thread I'd like to resurrect!)
When it comes to binary, there are 10 kinds of people - those who get and those who don't!
Newdood
star of the reef

Postby Squeeky » Tue, 09Dec22 02:36

You will notice that Arnulf's second comment indicates that there is small array which Shark (and moderators possibly) can change.

I sense that you have in mind a privilege scheme of sorts. That could be convenient if it was possible, eg "pilot fish" are not able to form active URL links; that could inhibit some of the "spammers" who are seeking to promote their own wares/interests. I have no idea if that scheme would work with the Aceboard software. At one site that I frequent one initially has few rights but you gradually certain HTML tags are released to you. However very few of get the full range and then within a specific area of the site.
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Next

Return to The beach