Squeeks?

A quiet place at the lagoon side for speaking about all and nothing (the financial crisis, sex, your country, sex, hobbies, or...sex)

Re: Squeeks?

Postby LRM » Thu, 11Jan13 08:24

Are you up to your ears in flood waters? Just a little concerned.
L
Got Wood?
LRM

sex: Masculine

Postby Squeeky » Thu, 11Jan13 13:26

LRM wrote : Are you up to your ears in flood waters? Just a little concerned.
L

LRM,
and others.

No, I am some 900 miles (1300-1400 km) south, but I have some "vested interests". Our two daughters reside close to the Brisbane CBD.

If you've seen visuals of a wheel akin to the London "Eye", the city central is directly across the river.

The wheel has been built within the locale of the 1988 World Expo know as Southbank, a very pleasant and relaxing place to visit (Oh! Full of culture too!).

One daughter is about 1 1/2 mile (2km) to the east, and the other who actually works a few blocks from the wheel (by odd coincidence is also on holidays), lives about 4 miles (7km) to the west. Both reside higher than the anticipated flood level, can move reasonably safely within their own area but unable to physically visit.

The human toll is signicantly lower than it might have been, in particular Toowoomba.

In all, estimates suggest something like a 20% impact on the national economy; food, tourism and exports balanced against insurance payouts and welfare. Americans can certainly understand this in relation to twister disasters although the death toll from flood is usually low.

In 1974 "Santa never made it into Darwin". A now retired Maj-Gen Cosgrove compiled a manual after that event, which alongside lessons learnt from our Victorian bushfires (wildfires) of last year, has apparently been instrumental in the relatively smooth proceedings of these operations; governments do take notice (sometimes).

Sure, there will be big questions asked later, may be some answers never possible, but the Premier of Queensland is being seen as a level headed stalwart (certainly emotional at times) as she heads the team for which she is ultimately responsible.
Yes, I'm safe but my State looks to be confronted with some flooding but as of tonight the weather pattern seems to be shifting.

There will clearly be other Aussies who will see your thoughts and feel some comfort that the World has some recognition of other citizens.

Thanks.
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby Greebo » Thu, 11Jan13 14:15

Thanks for the full response Squeeky, I had been sort of concerned and wondering too, but didn't take things further once you emerged from your apparent reduced Internet access without comment
“Anyone who believes what a cat tells him deserves all he gets.”
― Neil Gaiman
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby LRM » Thu, 11Jan13 15:05

All of you girls and guys even Yamato are like family. I do not like to see any of you enduring hardship. So when I notice a disaster I will likely inquire of you. Even remora fish are like little siblings while I want to thrash you, it does not mean I do not care.
L
Got Wood?
LRM

Postby DiTo » Thu, 11Jan13 16:41

LRM wrote : All of you girls and guys even Yamato are like family. I do not like to see any of you enduring hardship. So when I notice a disaster I will likely inquire of you. Even remora fish are like little siblings while I want to thrash you, it does not mean I do not care.
L

as bait!!
DiTo
legend of the South Seas

sex: Female

Postby Rikwar » Thu, 11Jan13 17:17

Glad to know Squeeky that you and your daughters are doing well, and that the weather pattern seems to be shifting lets hope for the better !

LRM's concern had me thinking, that when I listen to the news or read the paper for some reason I do tend to think that each of us here live on a safe and secure island and there not faced with the harsh reality of all the hardships that touches our planet !
Thanks LRM wishing you all a safe and healthy day of the year..!
The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it
Rikwar
Great Master of corals

Postby Squeeky » Fri, 11Jan14 02:08

Show me a place which is totally safe, free from fire, flood or famine, then toss in geology like volcanoes, quakes and tremors. Makes you wonder though why people who live in some of the most volatile areas of the planet will return after a disaster (eg certain islands on the Pacific volcanic rim).
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Return to The beach