General Chat

A quiet place at the lagoon side for speaking about all and nothing (the financial crisis, sex, your country, sex, hobbies, or...sex)

Re: General Chat

Postby PinkVendeta » Mon, 19Feb04 15:12

Xyzzy987 wrote:Have you seen Vice? I have not, so cannot say for sure, but a friend whose opinion I trust did, and said that he comes off looking like the traitorous evil bastard that he is. Also, the makeup artists for that film should win an Academy Award. I could not believe that's Christian Bale.

Have not seen vice, but, usually people wait for an evil bastard to die before making a movie about him :lol:

Xyzzy987 wrote:f you're looking for more Black and White movies to watch, then you've got to see Casablanca, made in 1942. Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Sidney Greenstreet, Claude Rains, Peter Lorre, Paul Heinreid, Dooley Wilson. IMHO, the best movie ever made. Not a single wasted frame.

I have seen Casablanca, very good movie, not a fan of Humphrey Bogart, dont much like the hiss every time he speaks, and there were many many other better male actors from the period.
Last edited by PinkVendeta on Mon, 19Feb04 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
I Am Not speaking From Experience - I Just Have A Vivid Imagination

Hannah
PinkVendeta
legend of the South Seas

sex: Female

Postby PinkVendeta » Mon, 19Feb04 15:14

Joe.Pizza wrote:Saw part of a movie on IFC, "Kick-Ass 2". The movie concept was an interesting comedy spoof of comic super hero movies. This case the super heros are a group of high school misfits fighting for justice with the leader having the alter-ego name "Kick-Ass". The movie started fine, then about half way through it went over the top stupid. Needless to say I found other things to do.

I guess the movie has a cult following since it had a IMDB score of 6.6. The first installment scored even higher with 7.6. Does anyone here know if the first one was any good?

Kick Ass was good, Kick Ass 2 was better, it also had Jim Carey in it, Kick Ass 2 had the arch villain Mother Fucker in it :lol:

Hannah
PinkVendeta
legend of the South Seas

Postby Ivlia » Mon, 19Feb04 22:36

PinkVendeta wrote:
Ivlia wrote:1944 (2015)

Brothers fighting brothers, been done in movies many times over, plus war movies tend to bore me somewhat, though thanks for sharing.

No, I think it is about the fate of a small nation, gripped in a vise between two aggressive large nations.
Ivlia
great white shark

Postby PinkVendeta » Mon, 19Feb04 23:33

Ivlia wrote:
PinkVendeta wrote:
Ivlia wrote:1944 (2015)

Brothers fighting brothers, been done in movies many times over, plus war movies tend to bore me somewhat, though thanks for sharing.

No, I think it is about the fate of a small nation, gripped in a vise between two aggressive large nations.

In 1944 Estonia, a fratricide war ensues when Estonians of the retreating German forces fight against Estonians conscripted into the advancing Soviet Red Army.

So eccentrically brothers from other mothers from the same country killing each other.

Hannah
PinkVendeta
legend of the South Seas

Postby Greebo » Tue, 19Feb05 02:09

It would certainly seem to be as both of you describe it. Brother was forced to fight against brother by the Germans and the Soviets, and what happened in small countries like Estonia and Latvia was an atrocity compounded by Stalin's Soviet regime oppressing them for decades after WWII was over.

One of my best friends at the grammar school I attended in my teens was Estonian (his family had managed to make it to Britain before the war made it impossible) but I never really comprehended what they had been through until many years later -- not until the breakup of the USSR if the truth be told.

It is the human misery caused by conflicts like these that make me want to welcome many that May and the more virulently xenophobic of her 'Brexiteering' friends seem determined to bar from the UK or "send back where they came from" even when they have skills and earning power we need!
“Anyone who believes what a cat tells him deserves all he gets.”
― Neil Gaiman
Greebo
Great Master of corals

sex: Masculine

Postby Ivlia » Tue, 19Feb05 22:02

PinkVendeta wrote:In 1944 Estonia, a fratricide war ensues when Estonians of the retreating German forces fight against Estonians conscripted into the advancing Soviet Red Army.

So eccentrically brothers from other mothers from the same country killing each other.

As for me a person who wrote this annotation seems did not understand the main idea of the film.
Ivlia
great white shark

Postby Joe.Pizza » Thu, 19Feb07 01:36

Ivlia wrote:
PinkVendeta wrote:In 1944 Estonia, a fratricide war ensues when Estonians of the retreating German forces fight against Estonians conscripted into the advancing Soviet Red Army.

As for me a person who wrote this annotation seems did not understand the main idea of the film.

I have no dog in this fight (common American phrase). Hannah's first sentence is a direct copy from IMDB's description. Her second sentence is a little dismissive. However, I somewhat understand her sentiment as I felt similar about the US Civil War. Some folks are big Civil War buffs and go to all of the battle places. Me, I feel it was a horrible situation where numerous American lives were lost and a nation who still hasn't healed from it.

On the other hand, Ivlia has a point where countrymen have divided loyalties which is tragic especially when direct families are fighting on opposing sides. In the end, the Estonians were pawns in the pissing match between Hitler and Stalin which is the greatest tragedy, something that the Estonians shouldn't have been dragged into.
Joe.Pizza
lagoon predator

Postby PinkVendeta » Sun, 19Feb17 18:04

So, anything new people?, anything exciting?, dont be shy, just say Hi :D :lol:

Hannah
PinkVendeta
legend of the South Seas

Postby Greebo » Sun, 19Feb17 23:49

Hi! ;) Anyone in a position to visit the Walter Kerr theatre (theater) on Broadway from March 22 onwards is in for a treat if my experience in late January at the National Theatre Olivier Theatre in London is anything to go by.

Hadestown, a musical, or folk opera, based on the story of Orpheus and Euridice around the writing and songs of Anais Mitchell, my wife and I found to be outstanding -- one of the best musical shows we have had the privilege to see in years, and we were fortunate to be able to get tickets for it before the company left for the coming run on Broadway.

Our son has been a fan of Anais Mitchell for years and introduced us to her Hadestown album shortly after it came out. He and his girlfriend saw the show before Christmas and raved about it to us -- in our opinion he was right to do so, it takes the music from the album, adds to it, and with Anais' storyline, brilliant staging, production and lighting, and a superb cast of musicians, singers and actors, had the audience applauding fit to burst.

You might recognise Why we build the wall from the 2010 Hadestown concept album. (Anais wrote it in 2006, predating Trump's presidential hustings by 10 years, although I gather she was thinking with concern of people's attitude to things like immigration and the environment at the time.)
“Anyone who believes what a cat tells him deserves all he gets.”
― Neil Gaiman
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby Ivlia » Mon, 19Feb25 21:37

Just watched The Right Stuff (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086197/). [img]images/icones/icon7.gif[/img] [img]images/icones/icon7.gif[/img] [img]images/icones/icon7.gif[/img]
But, as always, the book is better. :sarcastic:

Ivlia
great white shark

Postby shark » Tue, 19Feb26 00:15

This historical film is great. unfortunately I have not found the book in French yet.
shark
Site Admin

Postby Joe.Pizza » Sun, 19Mar03 01:52

Ivlia wrote:Just watched The Right Stuff

Great movie. Favorite part was the medical testing they did on those guys. OMG is what came to mind when I first saw it. Some of the tests bordered on sadism especially making the guys walk down the hallway with an enema bag plugged in. The movie "Armageddon" did a very funny variation of it with a bunch oil rig drillers being the test subjects.
Joe.Pizza
lagoon predator

Postby Joe.Pizza » Mon, 19Mar11 03:37

Just saw a 3D animated move "Big Hero 6" by Walt Disney. Basic premise is a 14 year old boy who is a whiz at robotics and group of nerds become superheros. The boy's robot is adorable, innocent, marshmallow man.

It is a fun movie that pretty much keeps one's interest throughout. It kind of like Guardians of the Galaxy with an anime flair. Both critics and fans gave it high marks.
Joe.Pizza
lagoon predator

Postby PinkVendeta » Thu, 19Mar14 19:20

I have been watching a few new TV series when times permits, well worth a watch.

Legacies:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8103070/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Star Trek Discovery:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5171438/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Project Blue Book:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6632666/?ref_=nv_sr_1

All are very good, worth a watch, also I have always been a fan of the TV series Supernatural, watch it from the beginning people, it is now into season 14.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460681/?ref_=nv_sr_1

A little clip of Jack (From Supernatural) regaining his powers by destroying the Arc Angel Michael and taking his Grace, Jack is the child of the Arc Angel Lucifer and a Human female, so he is a Nephilim.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTvP8mNNmTY

Hannah
PinkVendeta
legend of the South Seas

Postby PinkVendeta » Wed, 19Apr10 20:17

Hope everyone is well, seen a beautiful movie recently, well worth a watch.

The Tale Of The Princess Koguya

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2576852/

Hannah
PinkVendeta
legend of the South Seas

PreviousNext

Return to The beach