General Chat

A quiet place at the lagoon side for speaking about all and nothing (the financial crisis, sex, your country, sex, hobbies, or...sex)

Re: General Chat

Postby Joe.Pizza » Sun, 18Feb04 06:46

PinkVendeta wrote:They slammed the Will Smith Netflix movie Bright, and I loved it, it was great, it could have done without Wills MIB one liners sometimes and could have used more contex to the story, but other than that it was great.

"Bright" was interesting. The first part laying the groundwork on how the Orcs were disdained by the humans and the distrust of Orc cops reminded of TV shows in the 60s and 70s where black cops treated badly by the force and thought as 'Uncle Toms' by their community. I felt like I was having flashbacks of watching shows from my childhood.

I agree with more context to the story. My wife and I were sometimes lost in the story. Once the main storyline developed, it was rather enjoyable. Wife and I both agreed that the volume of 'colorful metaphors' was gratuitous and didn't lend much to the story. A little is fine; too much becomes white noise.

All in all, it was decent story and I would like seeing the sequels.

--JP
Joe.Pizza
lagoon predator

sex: Masculine

Postby PinkVendeta » Wed, 18Feb07 12:46

Joe.Pizza wrote:
PinkVendeta wrote:They slammed the Will Smith Netflix movie Bright, and I loved it, it was great, it could have done without Wills MIB one liners sometimes and could have used more contex to the story, but other than that it was great.

"Bright" was interesting. The first part laying the groundwork on how the Orcs were disdained by the humans and the distrust of Orc cops reminded of TV shows in the 60s and 70s where black cops treated badly by the force and thought as 'Uncle Toms' by their community. I felt like I was having flashbacks of watching shows from my childhood.

I agree with more context to the story. My wife and I were sometimes lost in the story. Once the main storyline developed, it was rather enjoyable. Wife and I both agreed that the volume of 'colorful metaphors' was gratuitous and didn't lend much to the story. A little is fine; too much becomes white noise.

All in all, it was decent story and I would like seeing the sequels.

--JP

Agreed, the Orc leaders made a choice 2000 years ago to follow the dark lord and lost the war and thus Humans have hated the Orcs since and they live in poverty pretty much, some humans live in poverty also while the Elves live in luxury, Orcs hate the cops and then You have that one Orc who is a cop and is hated by his own also.

So it made for a good movie, cannot wait for parts 2 and 3 or even a TV series.
I Am Not speaking From Experience - I Just Have A Vivid Imagination

Hannah
PinkVendeta
legend of the South Seas

sex: Female

Postby PinkVendeta » Sun, 18Feb11 23:29

Just watched that Tom Cruise movie The Mummy, it was another movie slammed by the critics, so I assume there wont be a part 2 to it now :(

I thought it was pretty good.

Hannah
PinkVendeta
legend of the South Seas

Postby Greebo » Mon, 18Feb12 19:14

So you reckon it might have been cursed with a final "wrap"? [img]kator/smiley130.gif[/img]
“Anyone who believes what a cat tells him deserves all he gets.”
― Neil Gaiman
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby PinkVendeta » Tue, 18Feb13 09:06

Greebo wrote:So you reckon it might have been cursed with a final "wrap"? [img]kator/smiley130.gif[/img]

That gave me a mild giggle :lol:

Hannah
PinkVendeta
legend of the South Seas

Postby PinkVendeta » Thu, 18Mar01 11:20

Everyone enjoying all the snow?, most of the EU is covered in it big time.

Hannah
PinkVendeta
legend of the South Seas

Postby Greebo » Fri, 18Mar02 00:53

Last thing I heard the folks stuck on the M80 motorway near Glasgow weren't enjoying it at all -- being stationary in freezing conditions for over 5 hours without moving in the entire time tends to pall after a while [img]images/icones/icon3.gif[/img] [img]images/icones/icon5.gif[/img] [img]kator/smiley130.gif[/img]

Apparently the Scottish Minister of Transport was a bit peeved about the large number of HGVs cluttering the scene despite the fact that many of them were carrying items essential to the emergency situation such as household furniture, stationery and tubing [img]images/icones/icon15.gif[/img]

Thinking about it, never mind the wrong sorts of snow, maybe they've got the wrong sorts of emergency vehicles -- a fleet of kebab vans with all weather tyres, well equipped with haggis and neeps, hot soup and tea urns, would be far more welcome than any Highway Patrol polis advice!
― Neil Gaiman
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby Greyelf » Sat, 18Mar03 01:10

Greebo wrote:a fleet of kebab vans with all weather tyres, well equipped with haggis and neeps, hot soup and tea urns, would be far more welcome than any Highway Patrol polis advice!

If it's not actually snowing then I would jokenly states that it's time to 'bring in the drones' (like the delivery ones proposed by Amazon)
Greyelf
star of the reef

Postby Greebo » Sat, 18Mar03 02:49

Ah yes, drones! For some time now I've felt that they could well become a good reason for legalising the widespread use of clay pigeon shotguns or even something more potent [img]kator/smiley139.gif[/img] (That is if we can't just scramble their control frequencies when they invade our privacy without permission)
― Neil Gaiman
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby Greyelf » Sun, 18Mar04 01:49

Greebo wrote:Ah yes, drones! For some time now I've felt that they could well become a good reason for legalising the widespread use of clay pigeon shotguns or even something more potent [img]kator/smiley139.gif[/img] (That is if we can't just scramble their control frequencies when they invade our privacy without permission)

In the legal region I live in the owning of fire arms is restricted & controlled, especially "something more potent", and I agree with those restrictions. But in the case of drones flying over residential areas I would be willing to make allowances, if it meant being able to keep the sky overhead clear of them.
Greyelf
star of the reef

Postby PinkVendeta » Mon, 18Mar12 08:43

Greebo wrote:Last thing I heard the folks stuck on the M80 motorway near Glasgow weren't enjoying it at all -- being stationary in freezing conditions for over 5 hours without moving in the entire time tends to pall after a while [img]images/icones/icon3.gif[/img] [img]images/icones/icon5.gif[/img] [img]kator/smiley130.gif[/img]

Apparently the Scottish Minister of Transport was a bit peeved about the large number of HGVs cluttering the scene despite the fact that many of them were carrying items essential to the emergency situation such as household furniture, stationery and tubing [img]images/icones/icon15.gif[/img]

Thinking about it, never mind the wrong sorts of snow, maybe they've got the wrong sorts of emergency vehicles -- a fleet of kebab vans with all weather tyres, well equipped with haggis and neeps, hot soup and tea urns, would be far more welcome than any Highway Patrol polis advice!

I always thought that the countries in the EU that have snow in big amounts for almost 9 months of the year must look at the rest of the EU and smile and think, how in the hell can 2 or 3 days worth of small snow bring the rest to a stand still, as always the rest are always ill prepared even for minor snow, which in turn means the people suffer big time from it when it happens.

Hannah
PinkVendeta
legend of the South Seas

Postby Greebo » Mon, 18Mar12 13:25

I'm inclined to think that countries and regions that get a lot of ice and snow every year will probably be much better equipped to deal with it than those that only have a few dodgy, unpredictable days at the most per annum. I know from the times I spent skiing in Austria that even the side roads would be snowploughed after most snowfalls and the compacted, icy surface would then be treated, not with salt but with grit mixed with just enough salt to embed it nicely. The UK authorities only seem to understand, erroneously, that salt has magical properties that make ice and snow ineffectual if you broadcast it over surfaces you want to protect.
― Neil Gaiman
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby Greyelf » Mon, 18Mar12 21:45

In places that receive lots of ice & snow on a regular basis it makes financial sense to have ready all the equipment & people that is required to handle the cleanup & maintenance required by that situation. It doesn't make financial sense to to do the same in places where such an occurrence is an uncommon event.
Greyelf
star of the reef

Postby PinkVendeta » Tue, 18Mar13 11:15

Greyelf wrote:In places that receive lots of ice & snow on a regular basis it makes financial sense to have ready all the equipment & people that is required to handle the cleanup & maintenance required by that situation. It doesn't make financial sense to to do the same in places where such an occurrence is an uncommon event.

It also makes no financial sense to have not spent anything at all in preparation for such small snow events happening, the aww well it will be fine and we will get over it fine, that thought process is silly when You have had a full weeks notice of pending snow incoming and You do nothing to prepare for it bar closing the country down early on the Wed evening :lol: and assuming all will be fine and dandy :lol:

As Gerry said, dump some salt here and there and think, we dealt with that snow and ice, oh hell yea, give it up people, high five everyone :lol:

Buying in advance over the long term is smart, pay a little bit extra, but have the goods needed to get out early and deal with the 2 or 3 days of snow fall, inform people to buy small ice shoe clip on for their shoes or buy snow boots which are great for both ice and snow and look pretty also :lol: , chains for the tyres on cars and so on, be prepared and life goes on moving when small or medium or even large snow falls, instead of panic buying, car accidents, people slipping and falling (which sometimes can be fun) and so on.

I went out in my thermal parka jacket, thermal bottoms, thermal gloves, thermal undies :lol: and russian snow boots and did my shopping fine, no slips and slides, got out and back fine, while being warm and toasty and safe.

Hannah
PinkVendeta
legend of the South Seas

Postby PinkVendeta » Wed, 18Apr04 14:38

Has anyone seen the TV series Wynonna Earp?

It is into season 2 now, pretty good series and worth a watch.

Hannah
PinkVendeta
legend of the South Seas

PreviousNext

Return to The beach