Adult games's news

Tips, techniques and tutorials about creation tools.

Re: Adult games's news

Postby Greyelf » Wed, 18Mar21 00:33

yahoo wrote:If I were in any way reliant on Patreon for any sizable portion of my income...

For all practical purposes anyone funding their creation process using crowd funding is a business (even if they aren't registered as such), and it has never been a good idea for a business to rely on a single source(*) for all (or most) of their income because that source can disappear with little notice. The old saying about "not putting all your eggs in one basket" comes to mind.

The same is also true for employees but in their case it's harder not to. [img]images/icones/icon10.gif[/img]

(*) In this particular case Patreon is the source because they are the ones that actually pay the account holder, the subscribers pay Patreon to keep things anonymous.
Greyelf
star of the reef

sex: Masculine

Postby yahoo » Thu, 18Mar22 10:27

While you're right about not putting all your eggs in one basket, employees are typically forbidden from undertaking alternative employment or from running a business competitive to your employer, but since that's a very broad definition, often any business is forbidden (it's competitive since it takes your time, energy and attention away from your primary job).
If you run a business, you're usually free to choose your customers, so you can afford to have multiple sources of income.

In a way, Patreon is to an online business what card processor is to a physical shop.
I've hardly ever seen a shop that would process cards using different providers. I've seen a couple 10+ years ago, but this changed. You need a terminal to process cards, you need to pay monthly charges, and so on, which makes this impractical, especially since providers will often try to match better offers and amend contracts, so there's no need to have multiple providers. How's that for putting all eggs in one basket?
With Patreon, no such limitations or provisions apply, but I don't think Patreon would take kindly if you set up an account on a hypothetical alternative, especially if you tried to migrate your patrons there using Patreon's feed to do so.
Would Patreon be able to block it?
yahoo
great white shark

Postby Greyelf » Thu, 18Mar22 22:57

yahoo wrote:...employees are typically forbidden from undertaking alternative employment..

This largely depends on the labour/employment laws in the legal region you live in. Where I am from an employer can generally only restrict you from passing knowledge/technique to another business (trade secrets) or working for another business that directly competes with their own, and that directly part is important.

eg.
If you are a Heath Care Professional who worked for two different Old Age Facilities in different suburbs then it could be argued that there is no direct competition, so the only potential issue would be if it was proven that the person passed information about one employer to the other. The same would be true for a Bartender that worked in two different Hotels under similar circumstances. If the Heath Care Professional was also the Bartender then there would be no issue whatsoever.

And in our modern world where employers are either: converting existing full-time jobs into either part-time or casual jobs; or creating new part-time or casual jobs instead of full-time jobs. Or peoples wages aren't covering the rising cost of living (or the people's needs / wants) then more people are having to have a second (or third) job just to cover their household costs, which is why our labour/employment laws are written like they are.

yahoo wrote:Patreon is to an online business what card processor is to a physical shop.

I'm not sure if this analogy is 100% correct.

In the case of an (standard) online business the 'customer' generally has a directly relationship with the business (customer data, sales history, etc..) but is using the card processor as a means to pay for the product/services provided by the business. This relationship is generally also true for an online business that is acting as a middle-man between customers and other manufactures/service-providers, like Amazon's third-party sales feature.

In the case of Patreon the 'subscriber' generally has a directly business relationship (subscriber data, payment history, etc..) with Patreon instead of the 'developer', and the 'developer' acts more like a 'suppler' of goods/services. In many ways Patreon is like Amazon's third-party sales feature, except it is subscription based instead of one-time payment based.
Greyelf
star of the reef

Postby yahoo » Fri, 18Apr13 21:04

It looks like the backlash wasn't strong enough to cause anyone to set up any alternative to Patreon, I didn't see any of the creators affected actually find a different means of income in protest.
yahoo
great white shark

Previous

Return to The workshop of creators