Light reflection

Tips, techniques and tutorials about creation tools.

Light reflection

Postby MaxCarna » Sat, 17Aug05 04:49

Hi friends,

Can someone help on this? Somehow I blew the reflection of some lights and I'm not sure how to fix it.

This is earlier version of the picture:

This is the last version:

What can possibly make the light became square like that? There is objects in rectangle shape and emissive surfaces working as lights, I didn't change nothing there. It can be the asphalt surface? What kind of attribute make that?
MaxCarna
star of the reef

sex: Masculine

Re: Light reflection

Postby Mortze » Sat, 17Aug05 16:32

What happens when you log off DAZ, start it again and load the scene. Does the problem persists?

What kind of lights are you using? Emissive surfaces on the street lamps or a mesh light? If it is a mesh light can't you check if you haven't put it with a Rectangle option?
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby MaxCarna » Sat, 17Aug05 17:51

Mortze wrote:What happens when you log off DAZ, start it again and load the scene. Does the problem persists?

What kind of lights are you using? Emissive surfaces on the street lamps or a mesh light? If it is a mesh light can't you check if you haven't put it with a Rectangle option?

I can only see the problem when I render the image, already loff and go back.

The light is labeled "UG Box Ligth Rim" I don't remember exactly, but I think it came with the "Ultra Genesis Studio Vol 1 - Iray Box Lights" package.

The light tab is empty.

In surface tab:
Glossy Layered Weight = 0.0
Glossy Color Effect = Scatter Only
Emission Color: 1.0 1.0 1.0
Emission Temperature = 5000k
Two sided light = On
Luminance = 30.000w
Luminous Efficacy (lm/W) = 700.00

It seems to me that the problem is only on the asphalt, which suggests to me that it is only this surface. But I can not figure out which parameter can cause this.

Thank you
MaxCarna
star of the reef

Postby LRM » Sat, 17Aug05 18:11

The light source is outside the circle and 360 degrees. It's as if the curbing is the light source.
All streetlight shadows are toward the center and the center has no shadow. Try reversing one or two streetlights and see if the shadow reverses.
Look closely at the patch of light made by the streetlights outside the curbing (lower rendering)... To me it appears rectangular rather than spherical as it would occur naturally.
Got Wood?
LRM

Postby Mortze » Sat, 17Aug05 18:53

Remove the asphalt object (hide it) and create a primitive plane of the same size, and colored black. See if the problem persists on the created plane. If no, the issue is with the asphalt. If yes, it is with the light meshes (as I suspect).
I don't know the light product but a quick search on the product page lets me see it uses geometric meshes. It looks to me that the settings for the light meshes aren't right.

If it doesn't work I suggest to use another lighting solution. Remove (hide) all the lights in the scene and try to create a simple mesh spotlight from one of the streetlamps. Have it be a Rectangle of 10X40, Render Emiter off, spotlight pointing down. That should isolate the problem.
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby MaxCarna » Sun, 17Aug06 20:10

Mortze wrote:Remove the asphalt object (hide it) and create a primitive plane of the same size, and colored black. See if the problem persists on the created plane. If no, the issue is with the asphalt. If yes, it is with the light meshes (as I suspect).
I don't know the light product but a quick search on the product page lets me see it uses geometric meshes. It looks to me that the settings for the light meshes aren't right.

If it doesn't work I suggest to use another lighting solution. Remove (hide) all the lights in the scene and try to create a simple mesh spotlight from one of the streetlamps. Have it be a Rectangle of 10X40, Render Emiter off, spotlight pointing down. That should isolate the problem.

I putted the new primitive and the same problem happened. I even create a new object UG Box Light Rim, to see if I had ruined any configuration, but had the same problem with the new created object.

What I can't understand is why the first picture was rounded. It is just like if some Daz version update changed the way this product interact with the scene.

I can go after another product but this is not good, any old scene can generate a new result, without me making any changes.

Thank you for your help!
MaxCarna
star of the reef

Postby Mortze » Sun, 17Aug06 21:45

Did you try to use custom mesh lights?
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby MaxCarna » Mon, 17Aug07 07:18

Mortze wrote:Did you try to use custom mesh lights?

Not sure if I done right, I created a spotlight, set as rectangle of 10X40 and render emiter off. It was rounded, everything seens alright
MaxCarna
star of the reef

Postby Mortze » Mon, 17Aug07 14:26

If the spotlight emitted a natural light, if you felt nothing seemed wrong with it, then the problem is with the Lights Setup product you used before. I would try to contact the content creator or ask around at DAZ forums about it.
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby Ehlanna » Mon, 17Aug07 20:25

It almost certainly won't be the lights added from UlatraGenessis Studio, as those consist of 'environments' (an HDRI) as well as having a range of mesh lights that show up as actual physical objects in the scene. It looks to be an issue with the actual street light objects. If you have done nothing too fancy with the items in the scene I'd suggest deleting the object and re-loading it.
Ehlanna
star of the reef

Postby MaxCarna » Wed, 17Aug09 03:24

Sorry for the delay, I was playing a little with ethereum mining.

This scene summarizes my tests:
1. Create a primitive plane over the floor. Difuse color 105 105 105
2. Removed the moon light from dome.
3. Change the right back lamp for a spotligh using rectangle area, height 200, width 400, lumens 400000
4. Removed the left back lamp and create a new "UG Box Light Rim":
Same config from others
On Surface: luminance to 40.000
On shaping: ScaleEmitter 34% Close top 50% Shallow flat 100% Shallow low 40% Straight sides -50%

If I was making the scene for first time, I would believe that this was the normal behavior but as I have the first picture rounded I'm breaking my head to understand how the light went square. Maybe something on render settings.

Still suspicious that some version change may have affected the product.

This scene is very small but I am using the same lamp post in several scenes :(
MaxCarna
star of the reef

Postby LRM » Wed, 17Aug09 06:20

All the lighting except the top right is still rectangular.
The top right is so dim or whatever it isn't even creating it's own shadow.
I think if I were in charge of that scene, the center is far more important than the surrounding area... I would turn all the lighting 180° to highlight the center. Even installing lighting in the rafters of the center will not be properly lighted IMO.
Got Wood?
LRM

Postby MaxCarna » Mon, 17Aug14 04:57

I posted the problem on Daz's forum but as nobody answer it, I opened a Help Ticket today.

When they answer me I will post here

LRM wrote:All the lighting except the top right is still rectangular.
The top right is so dim or whatever it isn't even creating it's own shadow.
I think if I were in charge of that scene, the center is far more important than the surrounding area... I would turn all the lighting 180° to highlight the center. Even installing lighting in the rafters of the center will not be properly lighted IMO.

As floodlights illuminating the monument? It is a good suggestion, I am using only lampposts and the moon light in all segments to equalize them but this one can be done differently. Anyway I am locked trying find out what happened.
MaxCarna
star of the reef

Postby MaxCarna » Sat, 17Oct07 07:21

Reviving this old problem

The Daz support didn't help me at all, I closed the ticket.

But now I just installed a new system (from i5-4690k to a Ryzen 7 1700) and it's rounded again :o

Not a single change on the .duf file. Mystery...
MaxCarna
star of the reef

Return to The workshop of creators