Registering a game

Tips, techniques and tutorials about creation tools.

Re: Registering a game

Postby tlaero » Thu, 16Nov10 05:23

Various inventions, some more impressive than others, relating to both software and (computer) hardware. I think I have one or two more that are pending. It takes 3 or 4 years for the patent office to grant a patent.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby Marco6661 » Thu, 16Nov10 12:03

Hello friends,

I put my two cents in your discussion about patent and registration of copyright name or title in France.
I'm not a lawyer but the owner of a small services company with an explicite company name, created by myself (30 years ago). A few years ago, I was afraid about two things: Somebody takes (steals) my professional name (because it's a good one!) and consequently copying (destroy!) my reputation and prevent me to keep and use my name company.
My company is registered in France and theoretically nobody can use the same name for professional activities, I pay some money for that every year in registration official services, about the name and internet registration (blabla.fr/.com).
A (very!) big city in France has created an association (not a company!) with the same orientation and NAME than mine with non profit objective (charity business!) and if I want to forbid them, I need to initiate a very expensive and long procedure with (unbelievable!) no guaranty to win, because it's an association. Thankfully, I can continue my work and keep my company name, but nothing else...

I can say today about deposits name or a title without a lot of money it's very hard job. I think it's just a question of ethics and respects about the first name's creator, but we don't live in soft world...

Marco
Marco6661
star of the reef

sex: Masculine

Postby Greebo » Mon, 16Nov14 01:51

Have you tried protesting their use of the name without threats to encourage them to think again in the light of your long term registration of the name? Sometimes reason works where aggression fails.
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby Marco6661 » Sat, 16Nov19 22:43

Greebo wrote:Have you tried protesting their use of the name without threats to encourage them to think again in the light of your long term registration of the name? Sometimes reason works where aggression fails.

Thank you for your suggestion Greebo and sorry to be let, I'm out with not a lot of issue with internet where I am... [img]images/icones/icon12.gif[/img]
I have tried to explain the problem with this association but receive a dead letter. I prefer always a pacific solution, but it seems to be not the case for some people they spent our money... :p
Marco6661
star of the reef

Postby Depeche » Mon, 16Nov21 09:08

Je ne vois pas pourquoi tu aurais des problèmes à faire interdire l'usage du nom protégé de ta boîte à l'égard d'une association qui utiliserai le même nom pour le même type d'activité, bien au contraire.
Et pour la durée d'une procédure, puisque c'est une association, tu peux faire un jour fixe devant le tribunal de Grande Instance et ton dossier est traité en six mois.

Après, une procédure TGI ça coûte entre 2 500 € HT et +++, mais tu trouveras un avocat qui connait ce type de contentieux, sera motivé pour ton dossier et sera raisonnable à termes d'honoraires.
Il faut juste comparer.
Depeche
lagoon predator

Postby Marco6661 » Fri, 16Nov25 11:06

Depeche wrote:Je ne vois pas pourquoi tu aurais des problèmes à faire interdire l'usage du nom protégé de ta boîte à l'égard d'une association qui utiliserai le même nom pour le même type d'activité, bien au contraire.
Et pour la durée d'une procédure, puisque c'est une association, tu peux faire un jour fixe devant le tribunal de Grande Instance et ton dossier est traité en six mois.

Après, une procédure TGI ça coûte entre 2 500 € HT et +++, mais tu trouveras un avocat qui connait ce type de contentieux, sera motivé pour ton dossier et sera raisonnable à termes d'honoraires.
Il faut juste comparer.

Salut Depeche et merci pour l'info, je peux enfin te répondre car de retour en France...

Déjà étudié avec mon avocat et, tel que je l'ai décrit, pas si simple, du fait entre autre que je suis sur Perpignan et que la ville en question est quasiment de l'autre coté de la France. J'arrête là le débat car cela devient perso et par conséquence hors sujet par rapport au thème de départ.

Encore merci. ;)

Marco [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]
Marco6661
star of the reef

Postby moskys » Fri, 16Nov25 20:28

I think this thread is going too much pro for what is on the table, isn't it? ;)

MaxCarna wrote:Well, thank you everybody, for all your explanations

My situation is simple: I'm making a game with two colleges and also want to make my first game. I believe that the name I invented is good, nobody around seens to be using it.

As I'm a novice on this market, I'm afraid that somebody else take the ideia and the name for it. Maybe he could even release it first than I, because I'm not expert, I will take time to get a whole product.

It is also not an exotic name, maybe someone could use the same name coincidently.

How could I "reserve" the name? I know that hardly would be in the legal instance, I am live in Brasil, I won't even mention the burocracy related to something like that.

But if exists any adult games's central, where developers register their idea. Where in shark's forum, for example, in wich topic I could "register" my game idea?

Thank you again

First things first: are we talking about a SERIOUSLY HUGE commercial development or just about an amateur-made game -like almost in this forum? If you're making a small game just for fun (for free or for a few bucks from a few backers), there's no need to oficially register any name. Just open a thread in the Project's section with it and keep talking about the game's development on a regular basis (you can also create a blog for that purpose and add a link to it in the forum's thread). By doing so, people will know you're working on a game called [INSERT YOUR AWESOME NAME HERE] and, hopefully, lagooners won't use that name for their own projects (and if someone does, you can ask him/her to remove it or at least change the name of his game, and I'm sure you'll have Shark, moderators and most forum users on your side). Yes, you would have to trust on people's goodwill, but in this community I think you and your game's name will be respected and hopefully you won't have big problems out there (no more than those Tlaero, Chaotic and others could tell you about piracy and things like that). That said, if we're talking about an actual commercial product, or if you find the way to make real money from it, you should ask a local lawyer for further advice.
moskys
lagoon predator

Previous

Return to The workshop of creators