Game licensing

Tips, techniques and tutorials about creation tools.

Game licensing

Postby MaxCarna » Fri, 16Sep09 01:04

Friends,

In some Daz offers I've come across "Indie Game license" and "Commercial license". http://www.daz3d.com/indie-game-developer-license

I thought it very strange because you pay for any model, you need to pay a license to use what you already paid?

Anyway, my real question is: if I start making images to a game, coworking with other people. The game are released on Patreon, alpha version, and we receive some resources as investment, Daz can sue us if we don't have this license?

Commercial profit is only considered the value from the sale of the final product, or investment also counts?

Do you guys have any of this licenses?
MaxCarna
star of the reef

sex: Masculine

Re: Game licensing

Postby tlaero » Fri, 16Sep09 01:56

I haven't looked recently, but traditionally Daz models were license free for 2D images, but you had to acquire a license to use them in a 3D game. In other words, if your game is jpgs that you rendered in Daz (like almost everything that's been talked about on the lagoon) you're fine. But if you have a 3d engine that allows the player to move the camera around, etc, then you have to understand the license. I never looked too closely at the license, though, because I deal in 2D games.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby MaxCarna » Fri, 16Sep09 06:46

Thank you, Tlaero

When we take something from Renderosity or ShareCG there is always a license.txt file that say if you can use for commercial purpose or only non-commercial.

Never saw something like that on Daz, I thougth that it was completely free until I saw this indie game developer license on an offer. It sounded an alert.

The product page says nothing usefull.
MaxCarna
star of the reef

Postby Niauropsaka » Fri, 16Sep09 08:54

The extended licence at Renderosity is for reproducing the 3D geometry in a video game. The standard licence is for creating images and animations.

I expect this is something similar.
Niauropsaka
lagoon predator

sex: Female

Postby Mortze » Fri, 16Sep09 22:22

Not only in 3d games. I believe the licensing applies to 3d picture animations, like movies or tv shows and comercials too.
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby Greyelf » Fri, 16Sep09 23:25

The resources at DAZ fall into two main categories, those created by DAZ (or their direct affiliates) and those created by third-party artists.

Some third-party artists have their own licences (eg. like the indie game developer license) which state what rights a purchaser has to the resources created by said third-party artist. Some of these licences allow the purchaser to access multiple resources created by the third-party artist for a single price.
Greyelf
star of the reef

Postby MaxCarna » Thu, 17Nov02 09:01

I found this page very enlightening, I remembered this discussion https://www.daz3d.com/interactive-license-info

Now they made it very clear
MaxCarna
star of the reef

Return to The workshop of creators