IRay: Faster renders tips

Tips, techniques and tutorials about creation tools.

Re: IRay: Faster renders tips

Postby MaxCarna » Fri, 16Oct28 02:18

Oooh, Mortze, the Daz Public Beta not only supports 1080 cards, but speeds up your existing cards....

Tlaero

They finally released pascal support? I've been following the forums for several days. Great news.

Next black friday I will surely get an gtx 1070. I saw a benchmark where it beat the Titan X
MaxCarna
star of the reef

sex: Masculine

Postby Sarchx » Fri, 16Oct28 09:18

MaxCarna wrote:
Oooh, Mortze, the Daz Public Beta not only supports 1080 cards, but speeds up your existing cards....

Tlaero

They finally released pascal support? I've been following the forums for several days. Great news.

Next black friday I will surely get an gtx 1070. I saw a benchmark where it beat the Titan X

Yes, but it's still in beta. Haven't run into any problems yet though.
Sarchx
Sarchx
lagoon predator

Postby Mortze » Fri, 16Oct28 13:25

Sarchx wrote:MaxCarna wrote:

Tlaero

Yes, but it's still in beta. Haven't run into any problems yet though.

I did. Issues with content library (no content apprearing) and with rendering (doesn't render at all). I issued a call for help in DAZ forum. Will stick to the old 4.8.
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby Sarchx » Fri, 16Oct28 18:34

Now I did. Fixed rendersize regardles of what you change it to... [img]images/icones/icon10.gif[/img]
Sarchx
Sarchx
lagoon predator

Postby Mortze » Fri, 16Oct28 21:38

Sarchx wrote:Now I did. Fixed rendersize regardles of what you change it to...

That seems to be another issue with 4.9

So I tried to read something out of the forums, and the noob I am didn't understand much of the giberish, save from one option I could try; update the NVIDIA driver.
So I did. I had to uninstall the older one, and install the newest. It did solved something because DS 4.9 did rendered this time, but at an absurd low speed. I tried to compare with DS 4.8 and, the humanity! DS 4.8 also rendered at a ridiculous low speed.
I had to reverse everything I did. I uninstalled DS 4.9, and also the new graphic drivers. I re-installed the exact ones I had before and, Praise Our Savior! DS 4.8 resumed at rendering at the normal speed.

Oh, and the content library only had like 20% of my content, despite me migrating the user-data info into DS 4.9.

It appears that DAZ is trying to release a version of DS to adapt quickly to new 1000 gen NVIDIA GPUs, but is messing a lot on the way. Can't blame them. I guess it's super hard work to adapt a software to a new graphic card architecture and keep it working for the older architectures. And it's a Beta release. It's supposed to be flawed.

But I won't try a new Beta version anytime soon. I prefer to wait for the final draft.

My hearth almost stopped today Tlaero!
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby MaxCarna » Sat, 16Oct29 02:36

I'm using Daz 4.9.2.70 since it was released

The only problem I have is that sometimes, don't know why, Kaspersky exclude one of Daz's dll.

It start to render everything in a pink color. I had to reinstall 3 or 4 times. Alsways backup MyLibrary content and after reinstall just copy back. I lose about 15 minutes when happens.

I didn't found where to download the new Beta version, I will try it, I'm using the last geforce driver for the GTX 970.

I don't know what is a good render time, interior scenes take about 10 minutes, and big scenes like using Dream Home, take 30~35 minutes. It's a good time?

It isn't a great GPU, the CPU is an i5, 16gb RAM, I believe memory is swapping in larger scenes, SSD coulb be helping.
MaxCarna
star of the reef

Postby Mortze » Sat, 16Oct29 15:40

MaxCarna wrote:'m using Daz 4.9.2.70 since it was released

The only problem I have is that sometimes, don't know why, Kaspersky exclude one of Daz's dll.

It start to render everything in a pink color. I had to reinstall 3 or 4 times. Alsways backup MyLibrary content and after reinstall just copy back. I lose about 15 minutes when happens.

I didn't found where to download the new Beta version, I will try it, I'm using the last geforce driver for the GTX 970.

I don't know what is a good render time, interior scenes take about 10 minutes, and big scenes like using Dream Home, take 30~35 minutes. It's a good time?

It isn't a great GPU, the CPU is an i5, 16gb RAM, I believe memory is swapping in larger scenes, SSD coulb be helping.

Here is the Beta http://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta

Rendering times take into account these parameters:
- How much light is projected in the scene;
- Materials used, reflections, opacity, displacement and bump maps;
- number of objects/polygons;
- the resolution of the image, and its quality;
- your GPU capability;

It is very hard to tell you an average time to render. The parameters are countless.
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby MaxCarna » Sun, 16Oct30 04:38

Thanks Mortze

This is the change log http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/ ... updated/p1

Now I'm studying the best quality x price model
http://thepcenthusiast.com/geforce-gtx- ... -gigabyte/

Today Galax EX is the far cheap in my region, maybe it change on black friday.
MaxCarna
star of the reef

Postby MaxCarna » Mon, 16Nov28 07:40

I got a Gtx 1070 Asus OC, Beta is working great.

This image was impracticable slowly to render with Gtx 970 and oficial Daz, now I could made it.

MaxCarna
star of the reef

Postby Mik » Thu, 17Jan05 12:11

nvidia 10xx (pascal) gpus supported in the new daz3d 4.9 release update....

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/138871
Mik
great white shark

Postby MaxCarna » Fri, 17Jan06 04:48

The new version seems to be faster than Beta.

Let's see if there will be any bugs
MaxCarna
star of the reef

Postby Ehlanna » Mon, 17Jan16 20:33

My last few images uploaded have been with either the 'old' beta or latest release that supports Pascal cards. I have not gone overboard on them so far as background, etc., goes so they have flown by in rendering terms. For such simple setups I have been using, mainly, the Ultra Genesis Studio lighting system which provides a 'basic' light environment, plus some additional light props (fill, rim, etc.) @Slap' in an environment to get an overall light level and add a fill spot to give some definition and, maybe, a rim light to add a bit extra.

To do it yourself, so far as the lighting goes, a single square DAZ primitive square set to be an emitter will be about as effecient a light source as you'll get. HDR lighting seems to go pretty quick, too - so a combination of a decent HDR and simple single mesh lights should result in better render times. It has been said that the more lights you have the faster Iray goes, but I think that should be the more light you have - low number of more powerful lights is better than a mass of low power ones.

Simpler scenes also have the benefit of not requiring (usually) as much VRAM and will hence be more likely to fit within the confines of your nVidia/CUDA-compliant gfx card allowing the GPUs to run riot, and they should out-perform your CPUs. I'm not sure if/how output image size affects the VRAM usage and will try and remember to take a look.

It can be worth 'investing' in GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner (there's likely to be more available, those are the 2 I know of) to keep tabs on what is goin in inside your gfx card(s), with Afterburner having the advantage of allowing you to adjust the profile of the fan so you can force the fan higher to cool the card more and have it run cooler.
Ehlanna
star of the reef

Postby Mortze » Mon, 17Jan16 21:06

The way I understand another factor is important for IRay speed at rendering when you use mesh light and that's the number of polygons emitting light.
Say you create a cube and apply the emissive shader to it. A cube has 6 faces. That means 6 faces that project light at different angles. The GPU (and CPU if you use it too) must calculate those 6 light trajectories and bouncing on every surface of the scene.
If you use an emissive sphere, then that's even more polygons emitting light and more to calculate.
I believe that the best way (in terms of speed, not other criteria) is using either spotlights or pointlights. You can choose several shapes for each (point, sphere, disc, rectangle,..) and shape sizes to project a gazillion different light on your scene but the advantage is that it's only one source emitting, it's not really a unique polygon emitting but it acts as such.

It is also correct that the more light power you have the easier it is for the GPU to calculate. I usually overexpose my scene with lots of light power and correct the image in Tone Mapping using F/Stop and/or ISO.

Also, the less objects on the scene, the less the GPU has to calculate light bouncing on them so make sure to delete/hide/reduce opacity of everything not appearing on your camera angle (save for interior walls where the light has to effectively bounce to make a realistic interior lighting, if you'r not using HDRis)
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby Ehlanna » Tue, 17Jan17 01:50

Mortze wrote:The way I understand another factor is important for IRay speed at rendering when you use mesh light and that's the number of polygons emitting light.
Say you create a cube and apply the emissive shader to it. A cube has 6 faces. That means 6 faces that project light at different angles. The GPU (and CPU if you use it too) must calculate those 6 light trajectories and bouncing on every surface of the scene.
If you use an emissive sphere, then that's even more polygons emitting light and more to calculate.
I believe that the best way (in terms of speed, not other criteria) is using either spotlights or pointlights. You can choose several shapes for each (point, sphere, disc, rectangle,..) and shape sizes to project a gazillion different light on your scene but the advantage is that it's only one source emitting, it's not really a unique polygon emitting but it acts as such.

It is also correct that the more light power you have the easier it is for the GPU to calculate. I usually overexpose my scene with lots of light power and correct the image in Tone Mapping using F/Stop and/or ISO.

Also, the less objects on the scene, the less the GPU has to calculate light bouncing on them so make sure to delete/hide/reduce opacity of everything not appearing on your camera angle (save for interior walls where the light has to effectively bounce to make a realistic interior lighting, if you'r not using HDRis)

Yes, that is my understanding, but you can partly offset that by creating the primitive with minimal 'divisions' (which is useless for anything with a curve that you'll be able to see!)
Ehlanna
star of the reef

Postby Ehlanna » Tue, 17Jan17 02:04

As an example (not a finished item by any stretch!), we have:
which is lit with an environment (HDR) and one fill light (slightly forward and up, and pointed at figure) from the Ultra Genesis Studio light product. It ran to completeness in a touch over a minute and a half (1m35s)
Ehlanna
star of the reef

Previous

Return to The workshop of creators