DAZ3D - Beginner Questions

Tips, techniques and tutorials about creation tools.

Re: DAZ3D - Beginner Questions

Postby Mik » Wed, 17Feb01 00:37

Shaders vs. Textures

The shader itself is a construct with certain properties and values which "describe" how a surface will be rendered, e.g. Glossiness, Roughness, etc..
The texture itself consists of 2D images that show the structure of a surface, e.g. wood or fabrics, along with special related images to generate some 3D effect.
These images can be inserted in certain "properties" of the shader, if a shader is setup up to simulate a certain material they call it shader preset.
People often mix these terms...

I've got Dicktator myself and it works good, it comes with three different skin tones which you have often to adapt if your figures skin tone doesn't match.
Erogenesis is about to release his new Twig and Berries soon for daz studio and it seems to come with the UV maps of the original gens too, so you are able to use these.

But these are both products to use instead of the original gens...
Mik
great white shark

sex: Masculine

Postby fleet » Wed, 17Feb01 02:14

Eldormain wrote:Hello Creators! There are some points that I was wanting some clarity on and haven't been able to get a confirmation through other sources. I am using DAZ 4.9 with iRay and Vic/Mic 7 models.

At the DAZ Shop the listings for items classifies the figures and programs they can be used in. When we see something like this:

Compatible Figures: N/A
Compatible Software: DAZ Studio 4.9, DAZ Studio, Poser

...as with http://www.daz3d.com/marrakesh-souks-2012. I am assuming this scene would be okay with what I am using, yes?

As opposed to something like this:

Compatible Figures: N/A
Compatible Software: DAZ Studio, Poser

...as with http://www.daz3d.com/reparation.

Both Marrakesh-souks and Reparations should work on your set up. I have Marrakesh-souks and tested it on DAZ 4.9 and DAZ 3.1
Generally speaking if the compatible software says "DAZ Studio" it will work in older and newer versions of DAZ.
Often if a product says it is compatible with both DAZ Studio and Poser, it will work in DAZ Studio 3.1 or higher.
Check out my latest adult visual novel "After She Left"
at http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4363
I moderate at http://undertow.club
fleet
Great Master of corals

Postby Eldormain » Wed, 17Feb01 19:12

Thanks, Mik. The purchased and existing items like clothing will have those presets and it looks like the creators are selling additional presets as add-ons. Can you add your own texture to these items or are they locked down?

Along the same lines I imagine when you get aspects of a scene right, lighting for instance, you can save that as a preset? I am sure I will come across the answer for this as I move further into the program, just been wondering about it. I have this anxiousness that I will spend all this time on the first pic of a project, getting everything just right and then forgetting to save a preset that took a long to to get just right.

And fleet. Good stuff to know.

Both of you helped a lot.

Cheers,

Eldormain
------------------------------------------------------

"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets; art deserves that, for it and knowledge can raise man to the Divine." - Ludwig van Beethoven
Eldormain
lagoon predator

Postby Mortze » Wed, 17Feb01 20:20

Eldormain wrote:Along the same lines I imagine when you get aspects of a scene right, lighting for instance, you can save that as a preset? I am sure I will come across the answer for this as I move further into the program, just been wondering about it. I have this anxiousness that I will spend all this time on the first pic of a project, getting everything just right and then forgetting to save a preset that took a long to to get just right.

I won't say if you can save things as presets or not. I understand that there are options for it in the Save As subpath but DAZ has had many issues or isn't very friendly-user for that type of things. For example, I learned that you can't save a V4/M4 character you morphed as a Character Preset. I think the same applies for Pose Preset.
I've given up of trying to save presets a long time ago. What I do is save what I want to save as Scene Subset. A character, a prop, a lighting set, a camera position, you name it. You save it as Scene Subset (Save As subpath) and whenever you need that lighting set, camera position, precise character in that pose, you simply Merge it to your scene (File/Merge).
All my character are saved as Scene Subsets. When I need Miranda I simply Merge her into the scene.
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby Eldormain » Wed, 17Feb01 20:54

That does look to be the only option if DAZ isn't cable of saving presets, or work well with saved presets. That's a good idea.

Are you saying that you go as far as saving a camera angle subpath? Like something you tend to use in more then one scene? So, the only thing have have saved in that subpath is just a camera position?

Eldormain

"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets; art deserves that, for it and knowledge can raise man to the Divine." - Ludwig van Beethoven
Eldormain
lagoon predator

Postby MaxCarna » Wed, 17Feb01 22:18

Eldormain wrote:Any feedback between Easy Control for M7/G3M Genital http://www.renderotica.com/store/cat/28 ... 3M-Genital and Dicktator for Genesis 3 Male http://www.renderotica.com/store/cat/28 ... sis-3-Male?

I got Easy Control for Genesis 2 Male, it is very simple to use, made all effects needed for the scene. Don't know dicktator, I would try easy control for G3M
MaxCarna
star of the reef

Postby Mortze » Wed, 17Feb01 22:29

Eldormain wrote:Are you saying that you go as far as saving a camera angle subpath? Like something you tend to use in more then one scene? So, the only thing have have saved in that subpath is just a camera position?

Yes. If you develop a specific camera pose, with specific settings and with specific effects, you can save it with Save As/Scene Subset and it will load with Merge when you need it.
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby Eldormain » Thu, 17Feb02 18:55

Excellent, cheers. I know you have your hands full at the moment. I appreciate your time.

Eldormain

Eldormain
lagoon predator

Postby Eldormain » Thu, 17Feb09 05:33

As I have been teaching myself, learning and messing with DAZ3D I think I am either missing something or expected too much. This leads to some more questions.

How many creators here end up making scenes, items, and such themselves? Along the same lines what percentage of one of your stories/games has items you created from scratch?

One of the first things I have been working with is character creation. Using the defaults Mic and Vic 7 I typically start with their faces (my process so far). Here is where I may be missing something but the morphing that the default DAZ provides seems a little limited. I have played some MMOs with character creators that seem more powerful, at least without add-ons (In Champions Online I had seen someone take a human male form and turn it into an Earthworm Jim variation with cybernetic arms and legs). Naturally, I would expect certain things to be needed as add-ons but I didn't expect to feel like I needed to grab some body and head morphing add-ons so soon. Am I missing something? If not, any suggestions for a good morphing pack?

Regarding the Iray packs. I presume that many of these are presets that can be done through the, what, HDRI portion of DAZ? But things like weather effects I guess are easier to deal with as add-ons?

As a point of clarification, compatibility. "Compatible Figures: Genesis 3 Female" along with "Compatible Software: DAZ Studio 4.9" Okay, great, straight forward enough, I'm good. But I came across this http://www.daz3d.com/hinata-dress-morphs With that long list of required things is this artist saying that these poses won't work unless you have the Gen 3 poses AND the Capsces Classy poses AND the Pixie poses AND the Magic Girl poses AND the dress?!? I haven't run across this often but if that is the case something doesn't seem right, I am looking at it incorrectly, or there's a con going on here. Feedback?

[img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]

Eldormain
lagoon predator

Postby Sarchx » Thu, 17Feb09 08:24

Eldormain wrote:As a point of clarification, compatibility. "Compatible Figures: Genesis 3 Female" along with "Compatible Software: DAZ Studio 4.9" Okay, great, straight forward enough, I'm good. But I came across this http://www.daz3d.com/hinata-dress-morphs With that long list of required things is this artist saying that these poses won't work unless you have the Gen 3 poses AND the Capsces Classy poses AND the Pixie poses AND the Magic Girl poses AND the dress?!? I haven't run across this often but if that is the case something doesn't seem right, I am looking at it incorrectly, or there's a con going on here. Feedback?

Yes and no [img]images/icones/icon10.gif[/img]
You have 40 draped morphs, that fits to Always a Lady poses. AND you have 68 draped morphs that fits Capsces Classy Eva 7 poses, etc. etc.
Meaning you have lots of drapes, that fits different sets of poses.
So, no you don't need all of them - but some drapes are designed specificly for certain pose sets.

That's how I read it, at least
Sarchx
Sarchx
lagoon predator

Postby Mik » Thu, 17Feb09 12:35

I can only speak for myself, I have started modeling a little bit , but I think the majority is using assets which were made by others and sometimes do some retexturing.
Also many people seem to use characters "out of the box", so often, when you are looking for characters at daz or renderosity, you will think "hey, I know that girl/guy..." [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]

I think you are expecting to much, there is no such thing like a "all in one" character creation in daz, it is all about deforming the mesh, so you can buy some morphs made by others, the most common are

http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-female-head-morphs
http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-female-body-morphs

and their male counterparts, a lot of characters you can buy need these as base morphs.

Or you can deform the mesh yourself in daz, keyword "d-former", or do it in some external 3-D modeling program, but both is not that trivial, plus some of your bought clothing may not fit these morphs...

They gave you a free 3-D render program with a lot of extented functionality, expect them trying to sell you some stuff.... [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]
Mik
great white shark

Postby fleet » Thu, 17Feb09 18:43

Eldormain wrote:As I have been teaching myself, learning and messing with DAZ3D I think I am either missing something or expected too much. This leads to some more questions.

How many creators here end up making scenes, items, and such themselves? Along the same lines what percentage of one of your stories/games has items you created from scratch?

One of the first things I have been working with is character creation. Using the defaults Mic and Vic 7 I typically start with their faces (my process so far). Here is where I may be missing something but the morphing that the default DAZ provides seems a little limited. I have played some MMOs with character creators that seem more powerful, at least without add-ons (In Champions Online I had seen someone take a human male form and turn it into an Earthworm Jim variation with cybernetic arms and legs). Naturally, I would expect certain things to be needed as add-ons but I didn't expect to feel like I needed to grab some body and head morphing add-ons so soon. Am I missing something? If not, any suggestions for a good morphing pack?

I'm not much of a 3D modeler, so I don't make items (props) from scratch. About half the time I use ready made scenes; the rest of the time I'll make scenes by combining props with ready made backgrounds.

I use DAZ base people (primarily Victoria 4 and Michael 4), and then morph them. I use the Morphs ++ packages for each to modify the bodies. For character faces, I'll use free face morphs from ShareCG and Renderosity.
It's been several years since I used default DAZ characters as main characters in my stories. I sometimes use the default Michael 4 as a minor character. By that I mean he will appear in one sequence, like a fight scene.

As I don't use Genesis one two or three figures, I can't give any recommendations on which ones to get.
Check out my latest adult visual novel "After She Left"
at http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4363
I moderate at http://undertow.club
fleet
Great Master of corals

Postby Mik » Thu, 17Feb09 20:35

Mik
great white shark

Postby MaxCarna » Thu, 17Feb09 22:48

Eldormain wrote:As I have been teaching myself, learning and messing with DAZ3D I think I am either missing something or expected too much. This leads to some more questions.

Regarding the Iray packs. I presume that many of these are presets that can be done through the, what, HDRI portion of DAZ? But things like weather effects I guess are easier to deal with as add-ons?

As a point of clarification, compatibility. "Compatible Figures: Genesis 3 Female" along with "Compatible Software: DAZ Studio 4.9" Okay, great, straight forward enough, I'm good. But I came across this http://www.daz3d.com/hinata-dress-morphs With that long list of required things is this artist saying that these poses won't work unless you have the Gen 3 poses AND the Capsces Classy poses AND the Pixie poses AND the Magic Girl poses AND the dress?!? I haven't run across this often but if that is the case something doesn't seem right, I am looking at it incorrectly, or there's a con going on here. Feedback?

I once saw a page in Daz that had a table with all software and their abilities. I already tried to find again that page, but always fail.

As far as I remember Daz Studio wasn't checked for 3d modeling, just for 3d rendering. I understood that it was made to just use pre-made objects applying textures, poses, an so on. There are thousands of modifiers for specific changing, always limited.

Thanks to Mik I found that exist primitives objects that can be combined to create new objects, but that was all.

Carrara and Hexagon was indicated for that. I once got Hexagon for free in an offer, but I haven't tried yet. I got bryce too, saw some tutorials and made myself some poor landscapes.

Many users strong recommend Blender also.
MaxCarna
star of the reef

Postby Eldormain » Fri, 17Feb10 03:17

Thanks for the replies. Good stuff there.

Sarchx, what you say makes sense. I suppose I will steer clear of those. I think it would just frustrate me. If I was creating stuff like that I would do what I could to make the things I created as universal as possible. Probably at the peril of potentially pissing of others who made stuffs too.

The Gen 3 DAZ morphs look like they do a good job of things. And Yay, free morphs, gotta love that. I might just risk testing them out.

From some of the things I have been reading I am seeing some definite cross over between other programs such as Blender and such. I have been looking into getting my hands on a new copy of Photoshop which sounds to be essential. I am not sure I like their recent monthly sub setup. So, what are you all using in the Photoshop realm? Elements? The Sub? Gimp?

Eldormain
lagoon predator

PreviousNext

Return to The workshop of creators