Web Based Adventure (WBA)

Tips, techniques and tutorials about creation tools.

Re: Web Based Adventure (WBA)

Postby SYH » Mon, 14May19 05:39

fleet wrote:Anyway, I'd appreciate it if any Mac and Linux users would download the linked zip file and see if it opens. PLEASE report your results, saying what operating system you used, and what browser. (Windows users are welcome to test it, too.)

Note that this is just four pictures, no nudity, no sex, minimal text. Open the index.html file to 'play it, then click on the word 'click' to advance to the next slide).

It opened and clicked through just fine for me with both Firefox 3.6.28 & Safari 5.0.6 on my dinosaur system (PowerBook G4 running OS 10.5.8).
SYH
great white shark

sex: Masculine

Postby fleet » Mon, 14May19 15:21

SYH wrote:
fleet wrote:Anyway, I'd appreciate it if any Mac and Linux users would download the linked zip file and see if it opens. PLEASE report your results, saying what operating system you used, and what browser. (Windows users are welcome to test it, too.)

Note that this is just four pictures, no nudity, no sex, minimal text. Open the index.html file to 'play it, then click on the word 'click' to advance to the next slide).

It opened and clicked through just fine for me with both Firefox 3.6.28 & Safari 5.0.6 on my dinosaur system (PowerBook G4 running OS 10.5.8).

Thank you. Is that a Linux OS or MAC?
Check out my latest adult visual novel "After She Left"
at http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4363
I moderate at http://undertow.club
fleet
Great Master of corals

Postby Greebo » Mon, 14May19 23:21

If SYH used Safari on a PowerBook G4, he's talking Mac, just as I'm talking Linux when I say it worked for me using Firefox 29.0 with 64bit Ubuntu 14.04

Addendum: It also worked for me using Chromium Version 34.0.1847.116 with 64bit Ubuntu 14.04
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby fleet » Tue, 14May20 03:43

@Greebo,
Thanks! That's good to know that it works on those browsers on those operating systems. [img]images/icones/icon14.gif[/img]
Very respectfully,
fleet
fleet
Great Master of corals

Postby NapoleonSolo » Tue, 14May20 12:02

Clicked through okay on my MacBook Pro using the most recent versions of OSX and Safari as well.
NapoleonSolo
great white shark

Postby fleet » Tue, 14May20 20:47

NapoleonSolo wrote:Clicked through okay on my MacBook Pro using the most recent versions of OSX and Safari as well.

Thanks for letting me know. Since it was just a test and proved successful, I'm removing it.
fleet
Great Master of corals

Postby RVR1669 » Sun, 14May25 11:42

Hi SoulMate

Currently using your application to work on a project, must congratulate and thank you, finding it very user friendly, easy to navigate.
Have already laid down multiple images and pages, game is progressing nicely.
Also through CSSmain have edited fonts and colours to suit the games look.

One thing I have now turned my attention to is getting my head around variables/scoring/inventory how it works not only on your application but also how best to use within the game.

Got to grips with the variables thanks to your design, very easy, but noticed one thing, mainly seeing the variables.
The variable stats show up on the right hand side in the debug.html but can't see them when running index.html.
Can see on debug coding you have the section marked #vars but differs in the index coding you have a section starting with #stats ending in #inventory.
This might be an area you are still working on, so apologise.

Best
RVR1669
RVR1669
Pilot fish

Postby lagoonfish » Sun, 14Jun01 12:16

Thank you for sharing this tool.
Especially thanks for releasing it under the MIT license, as open source matters!
I recommend you register an account at sourceforge.net and upload your WBA as a project. This way much more people will be testing and even may helping developing and improving.
Both thumbs up for making it platform independend AND open source!
lagoonfish
great white shark

Postby SoulMate » Fri, 14Jun06 14:22

@RVR1669
Nice to see someone is acutally using this tool.
Feedback on usability or featureset is welcome.

I'm indeed working a bit on the #stats and #inventory, but it's hard to get a grip on because i have no idea what game creators need.
So if you have any ideas about how you want to show the variables witin your game, please explain it to me so i can take it into account.

I'm also thinking about creating an empty CSS especially for game designers, so they not have to edit the existing ones, but add/overwrite the default css.
That way the core files stays the same and allows easier upgrading to a new version of the engine without loosing your own modifications.
SoulMate
great white shark

Postby sylakone2 » Fri, 14Jun27 13:34

SoulMate wrote:@RVR1669
Nice to see someone is acutally using this tool.
Feedback on usability or featureset is welcome.

I'm indeed working a bit on the #stats and #inventory, but it's hard to get a grip on because i have no idea what game creators need.
So if you have any ideas about how you want to show the variables witin your game, please explain it to me so i can take it into account.

I'm also thinking about creating an empty CSS especially for game designers, so they not have to edit the existing ones, but add/overwrite the default css.
That way the core files stays the same and allows easier upgrading to a new version of the engine without loosing your own modifications.

Hi Soulmate I have also started using your tool with a game I am working in the middle of everything else.
I really like your tool it is very good.

One thing I am trying to do is I have the prompt option which asks for the PC's name what I want to be able to do is show that variable in one of the repsonse fields.
For instance "Hi. My name is %name% what's yours? basically I've called the variable 'name' is there any way to do that with the tool as it is?

Another thing i would like to be able to do is show the Time in the game for instance the game starts at "12:00pm Friday" and obviously change the variable to show different times as the player progresses through the game.

Cheers

Sy
Cheers Sy
sylakone2
lagoon predator

Postby SoulMate » Tue, 14Jul08 18:51

sylakone2 wrote:Hi Soulmate I have also started using your tool with a game I am working in the middle of everything else.
I really like your tool it is very good.

One thing I am trying to do is I have the prompt option which asks for the PC's name what I want to be able to do is show that variable in one of the repsonse fields.
For instance "Hi. My name is %name% what's yours? basically I've called the variable 'name' is there any way to do that with the tool as it is?

Another thing i would like to be able to do is show the Time in the game for instance the game starts at "12:00pm Friday" and obviously change the variable to show different times as the player progresses through the game.

Cheers

Sy

Hi Sy,

Great to see more participants :-). Sorry for the late response, got a pretty busy schedule lately.
To display a variable in the title you can do something linke this: "Hi. My name is {{name}} what's yours?"

For displaying other things i'm still working on.
Probably need to refactor the engine somehow to make it better customizable and future proof
SoulMate
great white shark

Postby sylakone2 » Wed, 14Jul09 04:26

Thanks Soul

I know what you mean about busy schedule lol.
Anyway thanks for the help.

Take it easy.
Cheers Sy
sylakone2
lagoon predator

Postby SoulMate » Sun, 14Jul20 19:22

Version 1.5 is released. See the first post for changes and download link

@sylakone2
I'm working on an API for custom behaviour. Display stats could benefit from it, because its hard to create a 'general purpose' interface.
An example of displaying the user's name in the stats DOM element is shown below (paste it in custom.js).
The div can be styled within custom.css, so its totally up to you what you want to show.
The interface updates automatic when the variable changes :-).
If you have any questions,feel free to ask

Code: Select all
(function () {
    'use strict';

// Create a DOM element for displaying the username
    // This element can be styled with CSS
    var $userName = $('<div class="user"></div>');

// When the game is loaded
    WBA.on('init', null, function () {
        // Add the username to the stats element
        WBA.getDomElement('stats').show().append($userName);
    });
    WBA.on('varChange', 'user', function () {
        // When the username changes display the name in the DOM element
        $userName.text(WBA.readVar('user'));
    });
}());
SoulMate
great white shark

Postby sylakone2 » Mon, 14Jul21 08:24

Thanks Soul

I will give it a test the next time I get a chance :)

Cheers

Sy
Cheers Sy
sylakone2
lagoon predator

Postby SoulMate » Mon, 14Jul28 23:08

Version 1.6 is released. See the first post for changes and download link.
SoulMate
great white shark

PreviousNext

Return to The workshop of creators