Web Based Adventure (WBA)

Tips, techniques and tutorials about creation tools.

Re: Web Based Adventure (WBA)

Postby Super » Wed, 15Feb25 19:42

I think we had the same problem... Forget what we did to solve it

Did you use quick save? Thats broken and when you use it in the editor it Jesse etchings up and you'd need an earlier version. Forget if that's the reason but don't use quick save

Sorry, tried searching through email to see how Sy solved it last time by no luck
Super
legend of the South Seas

sex: Masculine

Postby SoulMate » Thu, 15Feb26 19:53

RVR1669 wrote:Returned to WBA, downloaded one of the latest versions, but something has changed in it recognising where the images are, all the images are in the image folder, though the path in the settings is undefined. When I go to "change image" I get the message

The chosen image cannot be found, did you select the image from the game /images folder. If not, move your images to your /images folder and try again.

All the images are in the folder /images in the game, and they are reading them from my previous work so the build is reading the path to the images folder, this problem only happens when I want to add a new image. Haven't found a way round it yet.

Hi RVR,
What if you type
Code: Select all
images
in the settings > image path. undefined doesn't work.
Could also be /images or images/ (not sure now, im not at my developing machine right now)
SoulMate
great white shark

Postby RVR1669 » Mon, 15Mar02 11:55

TY, yep I worked it out in the end, took me a little while, it didn't seem to want to register a path kept defaulting to 'undefned' that is until I went in to the data.js.

Noticed the image paths were a mixture of 'undefined' and 'image/', not entirely sure how this fault occurred, I'm currently putting it down to a Mac OSX thing (my computer often throws up something strange, keeps me on my toes). Anyway problem was easily solved at the bottom of data.js you have the specs, I just changed the input for image path to read 'image/', this worked.

After that minor issue, no problems what so ever, so I have been working more on the project, the title is called 'Hive Sand', but plot lines etc I'm going to keep secret but here is a taster, it is a massive project, and will have 1,000s of images.

RVR1669
Pilot fish

Postby Super » Mon, 15Mar02 22:01

Well that looks good. Hope the rest is good

And that it doesn't tAke forever
Super
legend of the South Seas

Postby RVR1669 » Tue, 15Mar03 00:28

Super wrote:Well that looks good. Hope the rest is good

And that it doesn't tAke forever

TY, the image side of things and story side is where I'm at my most comfortable, with a fresh mind and clear schedule can get many images and pages done.
The aim is to complete the main bulk of day one (which is well on the way), then release it, with major art projects here in the UK over the coming months, am trying to get this done as soon as possible.
It's a project that has been on the horizon for several years, with SoulMate's WBA tool it has given me the ability to work smoothly.
RVR1669
Pilot fish

Postby sylakone2 » Tue, 15Jun09 08:43

Hi Soul

You still out there?

I have hit a new bug with WBA in my game if I click on the settings tab now it locks and I have to kill the pages to get back up and running.
other than that it has been ok.
Also I noticed that if I run it in the new Project spartan browser for windows 10 it does not work it seems to start and then does not finish so all you see when you run it it some borders and a blank screen.
Could be a problem with my version of it but otherwise it might be something for you to look at for compatability.

Anyway can you please help with the settings bug I have as I can not check all of variables and so on.
Also I was looking to see if it is possible to add some songs to the game I am making is that possible?

Cheers

Sy
Cheers Sy
sylakone2
lagoon predator

Postby kexter » Tue, 15Jun09 13:34

Until SoulMate gets here, lets gather a bit more information for him so he could tackle the problem better.

sylakone2 wrote:I have hit a new bug with WBA in my game if I click on the settings tab now it locks and I have to kill the pages to get back up and running.
I assume you are using version 1.9 of WBA. How many variables do you have? How many pages? Did the problem just surface? Were you adding pages, variables, achievements, etc before it surfaced? Is this a straight up hang? Does the browser say something along the lines of "A script running on this page seems to take a long time to complete. Do you want to terminate it?" or does it outright kill the browser? If you bring up the developer console (CTRL+SHIFT+K in Firefox) before clicking on "Settings", does it print out any errors after you click on the settings tab? Does it happen in all browsers you try, or is it just a single one? What is the version of the browser(s)?
It may be the case that your game grew so complex that it trips off the settings screen in some way - probably the easiest way for SoulMate to debug it would be if you've sent him your data.js (I assume you have a direct line of communication where that's feasible, or through a PM).

sylakone2 wrote:Also I noticed that if I run it in the new Project spartan browser for windows 10 it does not work it seems to start and then does not finish so all you see when you run it it some borders and a blank screen.
Spartan is still evolving - one can't really tell if it's a problem on their end or if it's still missing features. Obviously it's something to keep an eye on, but can't really do much about it until the first release version ships with Windows 10.

sylakone2 wrote:Also I was looking to see if it is possible to add some songs to the game I am making is that possible?
As far as I see WBA 1.9 only has placeholders for sound-support, so sound/music support will have to be implemented before you can add songs to your game.
@kextercius
kexter

Postby kexter » Tue, 15Jun09 22:35

@SoulMate:
The "show usages" option for the variables does not take into account if a variable is modified during a page load (onload "event"). (WBA 1.9)
Here's my modified version of getPagesWithVariable() in build.js:
Code: Select all
        function getPagesWithVariable(variable) {
            var pages = [],
                pageName,
                page,
                j,
                k;
            for (pageName in game_data.pages) {
                if (game_data.pages.hasOwnProperty(pageName)) {
                    page = game_data.pages[pageName];
                    if (isSet(page)) {
                        if (isSet(page.set_vars)) {
                            for (k = 0; k < page.set_vars.length; k += 1) {
                                if (page.set_vars[k].variable === variable) {
                                    pages.push(pageName);
                                }
                            }
                        }
                        if (isSet(page.image_maps)) {
                            for (j = 0; j < page.image_maps.length; j += 1) {
                                if (isSet(page.image_maps[j].set_vars)) {
                                    for (k = 0; k < page.image_maps[j].set_vars.length; k += 1) {
                                        if (page.image_maps[j].set_vars[k].variable === variable) {
                                            pages.push(pageName);
                                        }
                                    }
                                }
                            }
                        }
                        if (isSet(page.responses)) {
                            for (j = 0; j < page.responses.length; j += 1) {
                                if (isSet(page.responses[j].set_vars)) {
                                    for (k = 0; k < page.responses[j].set_vars.length; k += 1) {
                                        if (page.responses[j].set_vars[k].variable === variable) {
                                            pages.push(pageName);
                                        }
                                    }
                                }
                            }
                        }
                        if (isSet(page.redirects)) {
                            for (j = 0; j < page.redirects.length; j += 1) {
                                if (isSet(page.redirects[j].requirements)) {
                                    for (k = 0; k < page.redirects[j].requirements.length; k += 1) {
                                        if (page.redirects[j].requirements[k].variable === variable) {
                                            pages.push(pageName);
                                        }
                                    }
                                }
                            }
                        }
                    }
                }
            }
            return pages;
        }
@kextercius
kexter

Postby sylakone2 » Tue, 15Jun09 23:26

kexter wrote:Until SoulMate gets here, lets gather a bit more information for him so he could tackle the problem better.

sylakone2 wrote:I have hit a new bug with WBA in my game if I click on the settings tab now it locks and I have to kill the pages to get back up and running.
I assume you are using version 1.9 of WBA. How many variables do you have? How many pages? Did the problem just surface? Were you adding pages, variables, achievements, etc before it surfaced? Is this a straight up hang? Does the browser say something along the lines of "A script running on this page seems to take a long time to complete. Do you want to terminate it?" or does it outright kill the browser? If you bring up the developer console (CTRL+SHIFT+K in Firefox) before clicking on "Settings", does it print out any errors after you click on the settings tab? Does it happen in all browsers you try, or is it just a single one? What is the version of the browser(s)?
It may be the case that your game grew so complex that it trips off the settings screen in some way - probably the easiest way for SoulMate to debug it would be if you've sent him your data.js (I assume you have a direct line of communication where that's feasible, or through a PM).

sylakone2 wrote:Also I noticed that if I run it in the new Project spartan browser for windows 10 it does not work it seems to start and then does not finish so all you see when you run it it some borders and a blank screen.
Spartan is still evolving - one can't really tell if it's a problem on their end or if it's still missing features. Obviously it's something to keep an eye on, but can't really do much about it until the first release version ships with Windows 10.

sylakone2 wrote:Also I was looking to see if it is possible to add some songs to the game I am making is that possible?
As far as I see WBA 1.9 only has placeholders for sound-support, so sound/music support will have to be implemented before you can add songs to your game.

Thanks Kexter.

Ok so in Chrome when I click the settings tab it hangs until i get the google page has crash do you kill pages message.
For firefox it came up with the error A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, open the script in the debugger, or let the script continue.
It is pointing to the /js/jquery.min.js:3?

It just kind of started also I am not sure what version i am running at the moment when i stop the script in firefox it has my variables then it has a massive list of "2 0 optional:type x show usages" which goes on for ages. it likes like my variables are about 53 but ther are some weird ones probabaly typos when i was building the game like 2 is the variable that goes on for lists and list. there is a coupel of odd ones like =1

Got to go to work but I will ad to this later.

Cheers

Sy
Cheers Sy
sylakone2
lagoon predator

Postby kexter » Wed, 15Jun10 01:22

sylakone2 wrote:It just kind of started also I am not sure what version i am running at the moment when i stop the script in firefox it has my variables then it has a massive list of "2 0 optional:type x show usages" which goes on for ages. it likes like my variables are about 53 but ther are some weird ones probabaly typos when i was building the game like 2 is the variable that goes on for lists and list. there is a coupel of odd ones like =1
This helped a lot in tracking down the problem. The issue is that somehow you've introduced a variable which has a name that is a number. That messes things up. I've patched in a quick workaround for the problem that you could try if you want, it's a modified version of WBA 1.9 - you can grab it from here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/qx2ix74z54b4v95/WBA_V1.9-kexmod.zip
Make a backup of everything you have before you try it though, just to be safe.
@kextercius
kexter

Postby sylakone2 » Wed, 15Jun10 04:29

kexter wrote:
sylakone2 wrote:It just kind of started also I am not sure what version i am running at the moment when i stop the script in firefox it has my variables then it has a massive list of "2 0 optional:type x show usages" which goes on for ages. it likes like my variables are about 53 but ther are some weird ones probabaly typos when i was building the game like 2 is the variable that goes on for lists and list. there is a coupel of odd ones like =1
This helped a lot in tracking down the problem. The issue is that somehow you've introduced a variable which has a name that is a number. That messes things up. I've patched in a quick workaround for the problem that you could try if you want, it's a modified version of WBA 1.9 - you can grab it from here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/qx2ix74z54b4v95/WBA_V1.9-kexmod.zip
Make a backup of everything you have before you try it though, just to be safe.

Thanks heaps Kexter that fixed it.
Just one other little bug I have noticed is for some reason one of my screens when you run the game in debug mode it loses 2 image maps out of four so I can test these to links in debug it works fine if you play it normally so not sure why that happens.

Any Ideas

thanks Heaps

Cheers

Sy
Cheers Sy
sylakone2
lagoon predator

Postby tlaero » Wed, 15Jun10 05:29

I thought the point of Spartan was that it was supposed to be more web standards compliant so that web developers wouldn't need to do special cases anymore. Troublesome that it's not working with existing stuff, but hopefully it's just because it's not released yet. Chrome is getting bloated, but an incompatible browser isn't going to win over any users.

Hey Syl, do recent Adventure Creator games like BEW and LwK2.0 work in Spartan?

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby Squeeky » Wed, 15Jun10 07:19

Ms Tlaero,
I was unaware of "Spartan" but it seems that MS has this coming out as "Microsoft Edge".
With that said, are your complaints about Spartan still valid with "Microsoft Edge"?
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby Greyelf » Wed, 15Jun10 08:13

Squeeky wrote:Ms Tlaero,
I was unaware of "Spartan" but it seems that MS has this coming out as "Microsoft Edge".
With that said, are your complaints about Spartan still valid with "Microsoft Edge"?

Spartan == Microsoft Edge

And based on the latest articles on the late July release of Windows 10, not all of it's features will be there at the release. (Windows 10 or Microsoft Edge)
Greyelf
star of the reef

Postby kexter » Wed, 15Jun10 11:38

@sylakone2:
PM sent.

@tlaero:
Project Spartan won't be the only browser shipping with Windows 10, there will be IE11 as a fallback if all else fails.
@kextercius
kexter

PreviousNext

Return to The workshop of creators