Web Based Adventure (WBA)

Tips, techniques and tutorials about creation tools.

Re: Web Based Adventure (WBA)

Postby sylakone2 » Wed, 15Dec23 03:34

Hi Soulmate

Just a couple of bug reports and updates.

We were doing some testing of my game Model Friends and found that it does not work on Firefox at this stage.
Interestingly tho it now works ok on edge which it did not until recently.
It works fine on Chrome and Internet explorer.

On firefox what it does after the initial page it goes to the next page minus the picture and the imagemaps.
Not sure why that happens.

Anyway I thought I would update you.
How are you going with the modifications you were working on?

Cheers

Sy
Cheers Sy
sylakone2
lagoon predator

sex: Masculine

Postby SoulMate » Thu, 16Jan07 12:38

Hey Sy,

Animations can be done with GIF images (for now).
jpg/png animation like tlearo's are on the roadmap, but my time is limited at the moment.

I updates the game.js for you so firefox works again.
https://mega.nz/#!KF0lXJoQ!mFtJ4Qqh_QuB ... IjdRpun72Y

If you find any other issues, please let me know.

Cheers,
SoulMate
SoulMate
great white shark

Postby SoulMate » Thu, 16Jan07 21:09

There it is WBA V2.0 with the new build engine written in AngularJS.
It also has the ability to show titles,images,image maps and responses only if certain conditions are met.
This means less redirect/check pages :-)

Here is the downloadlink
https://mega.nz/#!zEF1lCrR!fT4mv_p68NGQ ... v_BMDlBqI4

If you have trouble running the new engine see the notes in my first post:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3217#p74705

EDIT: Uploaded V2.0.1 because there was a minor issue.
SoulMate
great white shark

Postby sylakone2 » Fri, 16Jan08 03:02

SoulMate wrote:There it is WBA V2.0 with the new build engine written in AngularJS.
It also has the ability to show titles,images,image maps and responses only if certain conditions are met.

Here is the downloadlink

http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php ... 217#p74705

Hi Soulmate

Unfortunately the new WBA does not seem to work in any Browser but Firefox.

Weird.

Cheers

Sy
Cheers Sy
sylakone2
lagoon predator

Postby Super » Fri, 16Jan08 03:13

On another note, for his project Sy has made a GUI that shows up on every page by editing the css. Could it be possible to make it so that a gui could be turned off and on for certain events, I.e. Turning it off for a sex scene?
Super
legend of the South Seas

Postby sylakone2 » Fri, 16Jan08 07:37

SoulMate wrote:There it is WBA V2.0 with the new build engine written in AngularJS.

Here is the downloadlink

http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php ... 217#p74705

Also I really like the show if feature I wish I had it much earlier it would have reduced a lot of my coding work.

thanks for a great upgrade.

Just need to sort the browser issue.
Cheers Sy
sylakone2
lagoon predator

Postby SoulMate » Fri, 16Jan08 10:26

@Sy
The show if indeed reduces a lot of complexity. I thought of it when i played your new Demo game. There were some bugs which were caused by the complexity.

Also, in my first post I have a note about the WBA Build in browsers (the debug and play pages should work locally).
It requires (for security reasons) to be run on a Webserver.
If you have python installed you can simply run 'python -m SimpleHTTPServer' from the directory with index.html
and then go to http://localhost:8000/build.html
An other option is to install WAMP, Mongoose, http://ccm.net/faq/2568-tinyweb-server-on-window

@Super
Yes its possible by editing custom.js. I don't have the code at hand at the moment. but it's something like this:
Code: Select all
WBA.on('pagechange', function(page) {
    if (page === 'somepage') {
        $('.hud').hide();
    } else {
        $('.hud').show();
    }
});

The page change could also be a variable change if needed.
All the HTML items you want to hide you need to add class="hud"
SoulMate
great white shark

Postby sylakone2 » Fri, 16Jan08 12:36

Thanks Soulmate

I don't suppose you have an idea on how to fix those bugs caused by the complexity?
Also what did you think of it?

Cheers

Sy
Cheers Sy
sylakone2
lagoon predator

Postby SoulMate » Sat, 16Jan09 21:13

Hello Sy,

I don't have the code at hand, but i thought that in the debug.html a menu option 'find all paths' is available.
This could help finding bugs. Also less pages with more show-if options would help.
There is also a test.js file or something. It can be filled with paths to automatically test.
I'll have more information about that later.

About the game.I really enjoyed it for some hours, searching every option.
The renders were really nice, I liked the story. But it was hard to 'play' the game due the numerous bugs.
But that's not the thing to focus on now.
There are a couple of things i like to see improved, but don't know if it's all possible with the current engine.

1. Visual design / theme
Like almost all the dating games there is no visual theme, no nice menu.
If you can (or know someone who can) make a visual theme, I probably can convert that to a working example. I'm no designer, but good at translating a design to actual working code.

2. Way finding
Walking around the house was not always intuitive, mostly the upper floor. I also like to see a way to go from the frond yard to the back yard. Currently it needs a lot of clicks to go from the office to the beach.
Also (and this is a lack of the engine I guess), it can sometimes be good the use images to indicate ways to go to, instead of image maps.

3. Repetitive
After a day of 10 the game becomes repetitive. I think it will be a real challenge to solve this. Even A-rated games eventually becomes repetitive, but if you have some thoughts on it, ill be glad to see that one

4. Inventory
When you buy something in the stores, i always forget what I bought. When i talk to the girls its frustrating to not remember what items I have. There is basic support for inventory in WBA, but the options are not available in the build GUI. Its possible however to use WBA.on('varchange', 'varx', function(){}); to mimic this inventory.

I think that's enough for now.
Keep me posted with new versions and I'll see if I can give more feedback.

Also if you have a alpha/beta link for Envying Celina, ill be glad to test.
SoulMate
great white shark

Postby Super » Sat, 16Jan09 22:35

For envying Celina, I'm almost done writing it but don't have some photos and it's not all finished and I haven't tested any variables yet. I could probably give you what we have just so you can see any immediate things. On a side note, i am embarrassed to admit I didn't realize e knew supposed to use redirect pages and was just editing functions like in adventure creator until very very recently.

As for model friends and it's repetitiveness, I was thinking of writing some conversations for when to talk to them because I never really liked how in these games you just picked the correct interests. So that may help with that. Would probably just need to write a couple hundred of them XD

Oh and I did send you a pm I would like some thoughts on so yeah
Super
legend of the South Seas

Postby sylakone2 » Sat, 16Jan09 23:46

SoulMate wrote:Hello Sy,

I don't have the code at hand, but i thought that in the debug.html a menu option 'find all paths' is available.
This could help finding bugs. Also less pages with more show-if options would help.
There is also a test.js file or something. It can be filled with paths to automatically test.
I'll have more information about that later.

About the game.I really enjoyed it for some hours, searching every option.
The renders were really nice, I liked the story. But it was hard to 'play' the game due the numerous bugs.
But that's not the thing to focus on now.
There are a couple of things i like to see improved, but don't know if it's all possible with the current engine.

1. Visual design / theme
If you can (or know someone who can) make a visual theme, I probably can convert that to a working example. I'm no designer, but good at translating a design to actual working code.

2. Way finding
Walking around the house was not always intuitive, mostly the upper floor. I also like to see a way to go from the frond yard to the back yard. Currently it needs a lot of clicks to go from the office to the beach.
Also (and this is a lack of the engine I guess), it can sometimes be good the use images to indicate ways to go to, instead of image maps.

3. Repetitive
After a day of 10 the game becomes repetitive. I think it will be a real challenge to solve this. Even A-rated games eventually becomes repetitive, but if you have some thoughts on it, ill be glad to see that one

4. Inventory
When you buy something in the stores, i always forget what I bought. When i talk to the girls its frustrating to not remember what items I have. There is basic support for inventory in WBA, but the options are not available in the build GUI. Its possible however to use WBA.on('varchange', 'varx', function(){}); to mimic this inventory.

I think that's enough for now.
Keep me posted with new versions and I'll see if I can give more feedback.

Also if you have a alpha/beta link for Envying Celina, ill be glad to test.

Thanks for all the feedback.

1) Well I tried to get some visual design with the way I have done the overlay with the stats and so on I am not sure how to add more visual style or how to improve what I have but I could look at some ideas.

2) I was thinking about creating an overlay for the screens for moving around like I have done for the shops so have a a box in the general location with the title of the location it leads to then use an image map over it to work like a button. Does that sound like a good idea?

3) Since I have only done about %50 of Teagans Events and none of the other girls I hope those events will remove the repetativeness a bit as there will be much more content.
Although the basic framework of this game style is very repetative to increase stats and so on I'm not sure how to change the repetativeness apart from doing like Super has suggested with conversations.
I have also started to use the random feature to randomly change the responses in the convo's to help with that.

4) How do I use the function you are suggesting as an inventory?
I suppose the other way would be to add the items to the stats overlay although that would really clutter up the screen.
I could try doing it with the "show if" feature but how do I put that into the css instead of adding to every page.
On that is there a way to add a button to the css overlay so we can click that button to go to a page with the inventory?
There are some other things I would like to be able to do that with as well if possible.

So basically a button on every screen I can click on then return to the previous page.

Thanks.
Cheers Sy
sylakone2
lagoon predator

Postby tlaero » Sun, 16Jan10 23:14

SoulMate wrote:1. Visual design / theme

Different people will have differing opinions, but I feel that menus and UI are actually more of a detriment than a benefit in these games. It's kind of like how web browsers used to have all sorts of chrome, and then someone said, "Hey, why don't we get rid of all of that and let people focus on the web content?"

The same way people don't browse the web to see the browser ui, they don't play games to see the game ui. They play the game to see the game content.

At its very best, a UI makes a few people say "cool" just before they stop paying attention to it. For the most part, it's relatively pointless (no benefit or detriment). And, at its worst, a UI restricts the user base by keeping people with smaller screens from playing. I feel that the benefit that a few people get by saying, "Hey, slick ui" is way outweighed by the damage done to the people who can't play at all.

In general, UI is added by people because they can, not because it's a good idea.

Doing some CSS tricks to change colors and such is fine. But if the UI takes screen real estate, you've really got to consider the cost/benefit.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby sylakone2 » Mon, 16Jan11 09:39

Hi Tlaero

Here is a screen grab of my current gui for model friends I have tried to make it minimal but pratical.
The only thing I just found though is if I shrink the browser window the overlay does not shrink with it like the picture so not sure how to rectify that.
Other than that what do you think?

Thanks
Cheers Sy
sylakone2
lagoon predator

Postby tlaero » Mon, 16Jan11 16:45

That looks good to me. Almost the whole thing is the picture, which is how it should be.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby Greyelf » Mon, 16Jan11 21:23

sylakone2 wrote:Other than that what do you think?

I understand the question was aimed at Tlaero but I personally would try to add a small amount of transparency to the stat boxes on both sides of the screen so that you could very faintly see what is behind them, which is nothing in that particular shot.
Greyelf
star of the reef

PreviousNext

Return to The workshop of creators