I've been spending some time working on a tool which makes it possible to easily create your own HTML/Web adventure games.
It's not finished yet, but i just got enough to throw it into the wild, hoping for feedback, collaboration and fresh made games.
The tool runs within a webbrowser, so its platform/os independent.
It should work on most modern webbrowsers.
The code runs locally, so no webserver/website needed (only when you deploy the game to your fans).
With the current featureset ist possible to create simple HTML based adventure games which include:
- Multi-colored titles
- One image per page (jpg, png or animated gif)
- Image maps (recangles)
- Unlimited amount of responses
- Changing variables when a user clicks on a imagemap/response
- Changing variables on page load
- Decide which page the user is redirected to based on those variables
- Adding a tag/label on top of the image
- Prompt the user for input (for example their name)
- Save/Load game states
- Ability to style the game so its fits neatly into your own website (css knowledge required)
- Overview of multiple pages and their relation to each other
- Create test files, which could be run after modifying the game to check if each path to the end still works
- Test for broken links / unreachable pages
- Duplicate page(s) to create second slightly different paths
- Variable images based on the value of game variables
- Image preloading
- Image animations
If you want to collaborate, there are some funs things to start with.
I can use some help with:
- Testing (different browsers)
- Writing documentation
- Creating a demo/example game
I'm open to idea's for new features or improvement of the current features. So if you have any, please let me know in this thread.
My own list of idea's consists of:
- Inventory (show what items the user has collected - camera, dress etc)
- Display variables to the user (time, money, amount of drinks, progress)
- Add comments in the code
- Added possibility to use :variable as value
- Random choices got a new weight attribute
- Fixed image_maps and image_icons without hover text
- Fixed image_icons with no href of click
How to Update:
- Overwrite all the files with the files in the zipfile, EXCEPT data.js, custom.js and custom.css
The build page does not work in some browsers when running on local filesystem (file:///)
Doubleclick on webserver.bat and then goto http://localhost:8000/build.html
The code is released with the MIT licence, so feel free to modify it to your needs.https://mega.nz/#!qZ0g3QwB!Xvf5fv9jx6t6 ... ejiw9ybp7o