Adventure Creator original thread

Tips, techniques and tutorials about creation tools.

Re: A tool to help write "Virtual Date" games

Postby tlaero » Thu, 10May20 09:26

I just uploaded version 1.1.1 (and edited the link at the top of this thread). t_jobe pointed out that I was getting my slashes wrong (I was using backslashes where I should have been using forward slashes in the images). The only update from 1.1 to 1.1.1 is that I now convert to the correct slashes before saving the HTML.

If you have pages already that use the wrong slashes, you can use the included stringreplace tool to swap them.
stringreplace *.html /

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby Thrain » Fri, 10May21 12:30

I just test it a little.
First impression, the tool really stick to Phreaky way of programming. That's great to push him to use it :)

The first improving you should make, in my opinion, is Map part. I fail to create directly new area shape. The only way I find is to create manualy in html file then load the file (I have trouble to import them too, but succes to export them). When they are loaded, I can change the location of each area shape but not the size (maybie I miss something).

Anyway, I think the way you manage html files really interresting (in programmer point of view) !
Truly, it's an interresting tool :)
Thrain
great white shark

Postby tlaero » Sun, 10May23 10:45

Thanks, Thrain.

To make a new map area, choose the area on the picture you want to cover, then left click and drag from the upper left corner to the lower right.

To resize an area, right click and drag from inside it.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby phreaky » Mon, 10May24 17:43

Since I'm already starting to take snapshots of jessica (the new date), then I need to look at this tool from tlaero

Hopefully it will speed up the creation of the game :D
phreaky
lagoon predator

Postby phreaky » Wed, 10May26 03:49

@tlaero

I downloaded the file, exctracted to my local, but when I ran 'AdventureCreator.exe' , it issued an error message saying the application failed to initialize properly

what did I do wrong ?
phreaky
lagoon predator

Postby tlaero » Wed, 10May26 09:35

phreaky, I guess I should have specified this. Are you running some version of windows? And do you have the .net framework installed?

tlaero
tlaero

Postby phreaky » Wed, 10May26 17:41

I ran on windows xp, as for the .net, maybe it's not installed on my windows.
I will try later to install .net environment and see if that solve the issue.

Any other possibilities as to why the error happens ?
phreaky
lagoon predator

Postby Greebo » Wed, 10May26 20:25

Anyone know whether mono would work in place of .net? My own preference is to use Linux and Wine for Windoze progs and mono is the Linux alternative to M$ proprietary .net environment
“Anyone who believes what a cat tells him deserves all he gets.”
― Neil Gaiman
Greebo
Great Master of corals

sex: Masculine

Postby tlaero » Thu, 10May27 10:46

phreaky, XP should be fine. You'll definitely need the .net redistributable, though. I think this is the right file: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Greebo, I'm not sure if mono will work. I don't use linux. The app is just a straight .net 3.5 one, though. If mono handles that, it might work. Let me know how it goes.

tlaero
tlaero

Postby Thrain » Sun, 10May30 09:54

Like you Greebo, I prefere Linux, but my first attemps to run tlaero tool fail, so i swiched on my windows XP computer, where it run perfectly.

@phreaky: I have .net on my windows XP computer.
Thrain
great white shark

Postby phreaky » Mon, 10May31 17:57

@tlaerro

Ok, I installed .net framework, and your program works
Great stuff, really makes life easier :)

Thanks, I'm working out on the new game now
phreaky
lagoon predator

Postby tlaero » Tue, 10Jun01 08:23

Glad to hear it, phreaky. I'm looking forward to your new game.

I've got a small update to the tool with some tweaks I would have liked to have when I did my last update to Amy Redux. I prepopulate the "open" dialogs with the current value, so if you have "jenroom1.jpg" open and you want to open "jenroom2.jpg" you can just change the 1 to a 2. I also messed myself up once or twice by saving over the wrong file. So I added code to tell you if you have unsaved stuff before you change the filename. Etc. Let me know if those things would be useful to you, and I'll clean it up and upload it.

Also, while you're writing your game, if you say, "If the tool did this, my life would be better" let me know. Depending on the size of the task, I may or may not do it, but I'm like to hear what would make your life easier.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby phreaky » Tue, 10Jun01 18:15

@tlaero

Well, the first thing that comes to my mind is, can I resize the windows of adventure creator ?
If I use a big image size, then I couldn't fill in the dialog box below, because there's also no scroll function

Did I miss something or currently the feature is not there ?
phreaky
lagoon predator

Postby tlaero » Wed, 10Jun02 09:18

AdventureCreator should be setting the right window size for its content automatically. Hymm, unless the necessary size is bigger than your screen.... Is that what's happening? Is the window filling your screen and still not big enough? I'll have to think about how to deal with that.

One thing you should know, though, is that the picture size as seen in the browser is set by the "img style" box. And that is selected from your _style.css file. So, for instance, if you want to have a big image that is scaled to 1000x500 in the browser. Set the following in your _style.css file:

img
{
width: 1000;
height: 500;
border: 0;
}

When you do that, AdventureCreator will scale the image to 1000x500 whenever you leave "img style" blank (because it's the default image). If you have another picture that correctly scales to 600x500, add this to the css:

img.size2
{
width: 600;
height: 500;
border: 0;
}

Then, when you want to load images of that size, put "size2" in the "img style" box.

Make sure you scale the images before you place the hit targets. Otherwise, they'll be wrong when you use them in the browser.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby tlaero » Wed, 10Jun02 09:32

Okay, I just told it to scale an image to be too big for my screen, and I see the program not fitting. I'll have to watch for that case and add scroll bars. I'll work on that sometime this week or weekend. In the mean time, please use smaller pictures that fit on your screen. (-:

Tlaero
tlaero

PreviousNext

Return to The workshop of creators