Adventure Creator original thread

Tips, techniques and tutorials about creation tools.

Re: A tool to help write "Virtual Date" games

Postby tlaero » Sun, 10Jun06 09:02

Hey Phreaky,

I've uploaded version 1.3 of the tool.
http://rapidshare.com/files/395781703/A ... orV1.3.zip

This one has scroll bars if your image makes the window too big to fit on your screen. It also has the optimizations I talked about earlier. Let me know how it works for you.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby Ehlanna » Sun, 10Jun06 13:32

tlaero wrote : Hey Phreaky,

I've uploaded version 1.3 of the tool.

This one has scroll bars if your image makes the window too big to fit on your screen. It also has the optimizations I talked about earlier. Let me know how it works for you.

Tlaero

You missed off the h of http in the link! It should be:
Ehlanna
star of the reef

Postby tlaero » Mon, 10Jun07 09:57

Thanks for catching that, Ehlanna. I fixed it the one on the first post. If I did the same thing in this recent post, Arnulf already fixed it for us. Dankeschön, Arnulf!

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby Stray » Mon, 10Jul19 19:38

tlaetro, I really like the dating creator you made. Do you happen to know of any made for Macs?
Stray
Pilot fish

Postby tlaero » Wed, 10Jul21 10:56

Sorry, Stray. I haven't been a Mac user since college. I'm not sure what's available for them these days.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby tlaero » Thu, 10Aug05 11:05

I've uploaded version 1.5 of AdventureCreator. http://rapidshare.com/files/411131578/A ... r.zip.html

This version adds the ability to play sounds in IE and Firefox as well as a new example that shows how to do easy/medium/hard difficulties in these games. The difficulty example also shows how to play the sound (in _difficulty.html).

Note that, if you want to use sounds, you need to update both the AdventureCreator_template.txt file that lives next to AdventureCreator.exe and the _functions.js that lives in your game's files directory. You can copy the _functions.js from any of the included examples.

Although I did test it, I wrote this addition fairly quickly. So be gentle if you find any bugs. (-:

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby tlaero » Mon, 10Sep06 10:48

I've uploaded version 1.6 of AdventureCreator. http://rapidshare.com/files/417349281/A ... r.zip.html

This version adds the ability to do flash animations. I didn't like the low quality gif animations people have been using in these games. This should let you do animations at the same resolution and quality as the rest of your images.

Here's how it works. AdventureCreator now has 3 new settings: Frames, Loop, and Timeout. Frames is the number of images to show in your animation. Loop is whether or not to repeat the animation. Timeout is how long to show each picture before going to the next one. It's in milliseconds, so if you want to show two pictures per second, set it to 500.

If you set Frames to a number greater than 1, AdventureCreator will set up your page to animate. It will use the image you loaded the normal way as the first picture in the animation. The next picture will be a file with the same name and a 1 at the end. The next will be the same thing only a 2 instead of a one.

For instance, in the example, the file _difficulty.html has an animation. The first picture is waving.jpg. The next ones are waving1.jpg, waving2.jpg, and waving3.jpg.

I also combined all of the previous examples into one.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby Norse Graphics » Thu, 10Sep09 04:45

What does it mean when you get this error warning?

This directory does not have a _style.css file. You will need to set your own image override width and height.

So, either copy an .css-file into the directory of the game-folder (in this case 'example'), or you make sure the folder is within a directory that contains the .css-file. And I'm not sure where to find this file... So, you set your own parameters within the program, right?
Norse Graphics
great white shark

sex: Masculine

Postby phreaky » Thu, 10Sep09 14:57

@norse graphics

From what I know, the style_css file is in the example

I usually use the example directory, copy all folders and rename them for my game
That way, all the files needed will be there :D
phreaky
lagoon predator

Postby tlaero » Fri, 10Sep10 11:11

Hi Norse Graphics.

Adventure creator looks for a _style.css file in the directory where your html files are. The css file is used for images that are drawn at something other than their full size. In Phreaky's first game, he had lots of images that were different sizes, and used styles to make them all look the same size. AdventureCreator needs to know what size the images are going to be in the end, or the hit targets will all be wrong.

Does that make sense?

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby Norse Graphics » Sat, 10Sep11 02:16

Yeah, it makes sense. So, it's just to set a predetermined size when you use the program.
Norse Graphics
great white shark

sex: Masculine

Postby Chaotic » Tue, 10Sep14 17:43

I've finally had a half hour look at this.

Does it come with the ability to store and alter variables? If not, how would I go about it?
Chaotic
great white shark

Postby phreaky » Wed, 10Sep15 06:09

@chaotic

Of course it does. Even better, we can make a value for the variables and add a plus or minus to them

For example, I could start with 'happy' variable with 0, add 1 when the player makes the girl happy, and minus 1 when the player upsets the girl
That way, we can use the same variable (eg happy) throughout the game and make a checkpoint if we need to

Ahn but I guess we'd better wait for tlaero to explain it :D

In short, I've made jessica and keeley games using this tool, and I think it rocks
Really save the time, and the bugs are very small, maybe only 1-2 percent
And that's without beta testing :D

I really saves time for building the hrml

So we can focus more on the story and images
Agree with you on the other thread that images (and of course animation) are the most time consuming
So tlaero's tool really makes life easier

And the best thing is, if we need additional features, we can just ask and it will probably be accomodated as long as it improves the game-making :D

Thanks tlaero lol
phreaky
lagoon predator

Postby tlaero » Thu, 10Sep16 09:40

Chaotic, take a look at the included example. You'll want to build from that. It should look fairly familiar, though, because I specifically designed the html to be familiar to you.

You can have as many variables as you'd like.

_functions.js contains functions that let you do the following things to those variables:

1) Set a variable to any value.
2) Add 1 to a variable.
3) Subtract 1 from a variable.
4) Add however much you'd like to a variable.
5) Subtract however much you'd like from a variable.

The code also guarantees that variables don't go negative. If you subtract too much, they turn into 0.

The general thing you should do is set all of your variables to their initial values in _begin.html and then use the values of the variables in the "check" functions.

Note that you can open picture pages in AdventureCreator, but _begin.html and the "check" files you still need to edit by hand.

If you'd like a more complete example, download the Keeley game that Phreaky and I did.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby tlaero » Mon, 10Sep27 02:00

I've just uploaded version 1.7 of AdventureCreator.
http://rapidshare.com/files/422451115/A ... reator.zip

I've figured out how to work around Firefox's inability to do page loads from functions, so now have the ability to do "check" functions without requiring a separate html file. Check html files are still supported as well if you prefer that way.

The example now has both ways for choosing which way to go based on variables. See game1.html and finish.html for examples of the new way.

The new way uses a new function called "Choose". Choose takes 4 parameters. The first is the variable to use for deciding where to go. The second is the value of that variable used. The third and forth are links. If the variable is greater than the value, it goes to the first link. If it's less than or equal, it goes to the second.

For instance:
Choose('cinema', 0, 'beenthere.html', 'cinema1.html');

If you've been to the cinema (cinema > 0) you'll go to "beenthere.html". If you've never been there, you'll go to "cinema1.html".

Also added two new helper functions.

varPlus1If0('happy', 'cinema')
This will add one to happy if cinema is 0. I'm working toward a world where we can stop blocking people from going backward.

varToggle('locked')
If the locked variable is 0, it will become one. If it's 1, it will become 0.

Tlaero
tlaero

PreviousNext

Return to The workshop of creators