Thoughts on "Free Play Mode"

You found a free sexy game on the Web, share it with the buddies

How should Free Play Mode be "unlocked"?

It's an option from the start (you never have to actually play)
9%
It's unlocked when you successfully finish the game once
66%
It's unlocked when you get all of the achievements
17%
Other (please explain)
8%

Total votes : 99

Re: Thoughts on "Free Play Mode"

Postby yahoo » Thu, 17May11 23:06

If I were a creator and put hard work into making an adult visual novel, I'd make sure that everybody appreciates it full and doesn't treat it as an adult comic book for cheap thrills, so I don't think releasing two separate versions can be expected.
yahoo
great white shark

sex: Masculine

Postby Dolphin-BR » Thu, 17May11 23:19

I like to play games as if I was in the main character's shoes, so I pursue the female characters I feel attracted to, and I choose the options that are closer to what I think or feel. Once I finish the game playing it my way, I like to play it again making different choices just to see scenes with the second most attractive female character. I never play a game to see all available pictures because some have just no appeal to me, like orgy scenes or MMF scenes. So an option to visit any part of the game after completing the game once is perfect for my playing style.
Dolphin-BR
star of the reef

Postby karrek » Fri, 17May12 02:35

I think everyone else has already covered my thoughts, so I won't repeat them. I just wanted to point out that the "It's unlocked when you successfully finish the game once" currently has 69% of the vote. [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]
karrek
lagoon predator

Postby tlaero » Sat, 17May13 02:55

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I'm thinking along the lines of, "I've played as much as I'm going to. Then, later on, I want to go back and revisit things without playing the whole game again." I'm not really going to devote much time to making sure scripts and things work in Free play mode. I'm just going to make it so that places that check for points (sex scenes) don't stop you in Free play.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby bobsuncle1 » Sun, 17May14 13:23

In all honesty I like the idea of once you have seen a scene you unlock it in the replay area. Means people have play the game to unlock the scenes but don't have to replay to see them again. I know in a web based game that is hard as it is nearly impossible (I know cookies are a thing but if you clear your cookies you lose your save game) so even though I like this idea unless you have a way around this I also can't see this being implemented.
bobsuncle1
sirens hunter

Postby kessie8dn » Sun, 17May14 19:27

bobsuncle1 wrote:In all honesty I like the idea of once you have seen a scene you unlock it in the replay area. Means people have play the game to unlock the scenes but don't have to replay to see them again. I know in a web based game that is hard as it is nearly impossible (I know cookies are a thing but if you clear your cookies you lose your save game) so even though I like this idea unless you have a way around this I also can't see this being implemented.

Presumably you have a cookie for completing the game once and if that's "True" then any other cookie gets the appropriate value by whichever option the player selects? Then you could play every option up to a given point, Save your game, then continue to play every option up to the next point, and so on, without having to wonder whether you've locked yourself out at an earlier stage...
kessie8dn
lagoon predator

Postby bobsuncle1 » Sun, 17May28 12:07

kessie8dn wrote:
Presumably you have a cookie for completing the game once and if that's "True" then any other cookie gets the appropriate value by whichever option the player selects? Then you could play every option up to a given point, Save your game, then continue to play every option up to the next point, and so on, without having to wonder whether you've locked yourself out at an earlier stage...

The problem that I was eluding to is that I, like many others, clear my cache and cookies after I close my browser so a save game is lost once I close the browser. So I have to play again if I just want to watch the scenes again.
bobsuncle1
sirens hunter

Postby scrumbles » Sun, 17May28 13:42

bobsuncle1 wrote:The problem that I was eluding to is that I, like many others, clear my cache and cookies after I close my browser so a save game is lost once I close the browser.

Here I am: that's why I usually play web games on a dedicated browser. [img]images/icones/icon15.gif[/img]

Anyway, a gallery savegame is basically a sequence of zero's and one's (locked / unlocked). A trivial solution would be a textarea/input element and two buttons: import & export:
- you click export: the sequence is shown in the input field (and you may save it in a text file)
- you past the sequence and click "import": ta-da, your progress is loaded
A similar solution is trivial to implement and it works on IE6 too (as long as JS is activated), maybe even on more outdated browsers.

Twine has a more refined save system, but some outdated browsers do not support it, most likely.
scrumbles
sirens hunter

Postby Tao Dude » Sun, 17May28 17:39

bobsuncle1 wrote:In all honesty I like the idea of once you have seen a scene you unlock it in the replay area. Means people have play the game to unlock the scenes but don't have to replay to see them again. I know in a web based game that is hard as it is nearly impossible (I know cookies are a thing but if you clear your cookies you lose your save game) so even though I like this idea unless you have a way around this I also can't see this being implemented.

This was what I was going to propose. People who don't want to play the game and are not interested in the story will just go to the images folder and look there, so allowing a Free Play Mode right at the start is not really necessary. Ideally, people should be allowed to fast forward through parts of the game that they have completed, but encouraged to work through the parts that they have not completed.

For people who use private browsing sessions or clear their cache every time they close their browser, it would be useful to have a BEW- or Last Man-like achievements and progress local save option. This would allow people coming back to the game after a break to choose to either restart the game and fast forward through the portion of the game that they have completed or jump back in where they left off.

I am not advocating that you go down the route of setting up a server to hold people's progress for them like Vortex does, local saves would be enough.

Best,
Tao
Tao Dude
great white shark

Postby Greyelf » Sun, 17May28 23:41

scrumbles wrote:Twine has a more refined save system...
The (web-browser based release of the) Twine 2 application saves story projects in the web-browser's local storage cache, which may also be flushed the same way that cookies are, so it has the same potential issue as the game engine(s) refereed to earlier.

I believe you may of been thinking of the SugarCube (1.x and 2.x) Story Format, which also includes the ability to save game state to a local file as well as a number of standard web-browser inbuilt data storage options, depending on the functionality of the particular web-browser being used by the player. (eg cookies, local storage, etc...)
Greyelf
star of the reef

Previous

Return to All sexy games