Orval Creep n' Hammer

Complete and totally free games (the author can request a non-obligatory financial contribution in thanks or to help him to create new game)

Orval Creep n' Hammer

Postby d.e.vane » Sun, 17Apr09 11:36

This is a game I've been working on for a while now. It's a basic little thing but it gets the job done.

You play Orval, a loser whose only means to sex is blackmail. Throughout the course of this short game, you'll coerce up to four women to give up the goods, provided you do your part.

The game is feature-complete, so give a shot and let me know what you think. The download weighs in at about 700mb; I choose to blame Ogg Theora for that.

Links
Blog post
PDF Game Manual
Win32 download: mega.nz, Google Drive
Linux 64-bit download: mega.nz, Google Drive
My development blog:
http://d-e-vane.blogspot.com/
d.e.vane
sirens hunter

sex: Masculine

Re: Orval Creep n' Hammer

Postby noskcaj » Sun, 17Apr09 22:55

Looks interesting!

Sad that I don't have a PC now, just a Mac
noskcaj
sirens hunter

Postby d.e.vane » Mon, 17Apr10 02:28

noskcaj wrote:Looks interesting!

Ah, that's too bad. Apple stuff is a little difficult to build for with the tools I'm using at the moment.

I may do an Android port in the future, if that's of any use.
My development blog:
d.e.vane
sirens hunter

Postby Jashu469 » Mon, 17Apr10 09:29

It's... a good game for what it is, I suppose. There just isn't much interaction to it. I'd kind of prefer more personal interaction with each character to develop more of the story. And a way to earn money other than the mini-game.
Jashu469
great white shark

Postby Tredici » Mon, 17Apr10 21:16

noskcaj wrote:Looks interesting!

[img]images/icones/icon7.gif[/img]
Tredici
Pilot fish

Postby Sarchx » Mon, 17Apr10 21:36

I think the idea is good, but it isn't really a game for me.

Everything is pre-determined, and there isn't much you can do to develop the story. I think it's a grind, with not much variation (apart from their stories, as far as I played it.)
A suggestion could be to make the story progress.
You shouldn't be able to buy all items from the start. Maybe if you let next step (next type of device) be unlocked, when you have something from the first and so on.
Combine that, with a chance to mess things up, or get caught based on something you can influence.
Don't know if that would work, and it's clearly not what you intended - but it's a suggestion nevertheless.
Sarchx
Sarchx
lagoon predator

Postby d.e.vane » Tue, 17Apr11 05:16

Sarchx wrote:I think the idea is good, but it isn't really a game for me.

Everything is pre-determined, and there isn't much you can do to develop the story. I think it's a grind, with not much variation (apart from their stories, as far as I played it.)
A suggestion could be to make the story progress.
You shouldn't be able to buy all items from the start. Maybe if you let next step (next type of device) be unlocked, when you have something from the first and so on.
Combine that, with a chance to mess things up, or get caught based on something you can influence.
Don't know if that would work, and it's clearly not what you intended - but it's a suggestion nevertheless.

It's not too far off the mark, actually. It was intended more as a masturbatory aid than anything with a lot of narrative (VN, etc.). I suppose I should probably mention that somewhere in the documentation. Also, there are fail states, but they're kinda hard to run into. I hear what you're saying about stuff being predetermined, though, that seems to be a common critique so far.

Thanks for the feedback so far, everyone. Don't worry, I'm taking notes. [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]
My development blog:
d.e.vane
sirens hunter

Postby unihorn » Tue, 17Apr11 20:11

The idea for the game is just great! spying, blackmailing with the result for revenge-fucking [img]images/icones/icon7.gif[/img]
Also I must congratulate for your coding approach and the ability to obtain win/Linux versions.
As for the vids size I cannot tell for sure because vids are somehow tampered not to be viewed from a standard player but I see it has 60 FPS. If that's true you should lower it to 22/25FPS and that would reduce the size significantly.
Anyway, great game and would like to see more of it. Keep it up.
unihorn
Pilot fish

Postby d.e.vane » Wed, 17Apr12 08:13

Thanks! [img]images/icones/icon14.gif[/img]

The video data itself hasn't been tampered with too much, it's just that each 'sex scene' or whatever you want to call it is comprised of a number of video files, all of which get shoved into a single binary file and indexed for the engine. It's almost like a hacky form of concatenation or something. You're right though, they're stuck at 60fps, and that was intentional since I really wanted the videos to have a 'shot on shiteo' feel to them.

Of course, that was before the game was completed weighing 500mb more than it should, so... I may end up compromising on subsequent releases and have 60fps for the spycams, 30fps for everything else. Not sure. In a perfect world I'd be able to figure out how to work with libav and use webms instead, but there are only so many hours in the day.
My development blog:
d.e.vane
sirens hunter

Postby kessie8dn » Sat, 17Apr15 14:40

A brilliant idea and executed with just enough humour to stop it being too gross.

A nice, easy, way to pass some time.

The graphics aren't really to my taste but, each to his/her own. I'm sure there are probably as many people who will rate them really high.

I'm reluctant to be too critical of the gameplay for being too linear, etc, as I beleive this is an early attempt and you're learning things "on the fly". My only suggestion would be to be a little kinder to the players and make the cash rewards a little bigger and/or provide an alternative method of getting cash, as a whole lot of time seems to be spent on the minigame. The emphasis should be on the "mini" part - yet I felt I was spending at least as much time on that as the rest of the game put together.

Oh and remove/disable the "Close window" button in the top rh corner and provide an alternative way to quit, needing at least two mouse clicks.

I look forward to seeing more.
kessie8dn
lagoon predator

Postby d.e.vane » Sun, 17Apr16 02:39

Thanks for the input.

Re: quitting the game, that's just a dumb mistake on my part. Hitting the 'q' button immediately kills it no matter what's going on, I just got so used to it that I guess I took it for granted. Definitely have to add that to my 'todo' file.
My development blog:
d.e.vane
sirens hunter

Return to Free sexy games