To sound, or not to sound, that is the question

Complete and totally free games (the author can request a non-obligatory financial contribution in thanks or to help him to create new game)

Should Dating games have sounds?

I really like the sounds in your previous games.
27%
I'd prefer for there not to be sounds/I play with the speakers off.
43%
I don't really care one way or the other.
30%

Total votes : 171

Re: To sound, or not to sound, that is the question

Postby Gaweb Studio » Mon, 16Mar21 07:16

No sound is fine for me. Maybe just the sound effect but no need for music.
Working on Glassix 2
Completed Glassix
Completed Vampire Revenge
Completed Lust Complex
If you enjoyed the games, consider supporting me on Patreon or Subscribestar ;)
Gaweb Studio
lagoon predator

sex: Masculine

Postby nezumi69 » Tue, 16Mar22 18:37

Sound can add something to the gaming experience. My preference is for the developer to add the sound/music they wish, even if that means no sound or music, but also add the means to mute the sound/music within the game window if they have it, so the user doesn't have to worry about disabling sound on their end.
nezumi69
lagoon predator

Postby TheGreatJoeGargery » Sun, 16Jun12 17:48

I really can't think of a game where sound or music added to it in any significant way in this genre. When you're reading text it will never be synchronized to the music and there will always be a dissociation between the two. And that's just assuming that the music doesn't actively annoy you being played on a loop over and over. Don't even get me started on bad voice acting.
TheGreatJoeGargery
lagoon predator

Postby tlaero » Sun, 16Jun12 19:35

And then you play a game like Dark Echo and you realize just how awesome sound can be. Of course, Dark Echo isn't an erotic adventure game, but still. (-:

Yeah, I'm close to rereleasing DwE in Spanish and Italian, and when I do, I'll have removed the sounds in English. The tool I use to make my games doesn't even support sound anymore.

And doing the sounds was, by far, my least favorite part of making these games. I understood the erotic potential, especially in the mouse movement scenes where a sound played when you moved the mouse correctly, but doing them was such a pain.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby Mortze » Sun, 16Jun12 20:17

I can see the potentila of sound in particular scenes like, with Elsa and Jason by the beach adding some wave sounds. Or bird sounds at the park. Or great music when Jessika and Marc go dance at the rock club. More than that, like sex moanings no.
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby kessie8dn » Mon, 16Jun13 20:09

I understand where you're coming from in saying sound can add to games but, considering the type of games we're talking about do we really want sound effects that others might hear? :lol:

I think I can remember someone (maybe Pusooy?) made a game a few years ago where sound played a part - problem was you couldn't tell when the sound was supposed to be significant and when it was just background noise.. Sounds of "someone creeping up behind you", for example.. What does that even sound like? Through PC speakers? Who knows?

By all means if you want to add "atmosphere" put some sound in - it's your game.. Those of us who keep the volume off won't notice and won't miss it, those who enjoy it will be able to.. but please don't try to make it part of the plot :)
kessie8dn
lagoon predator

Postby Stormy » Mon, 16Jun13 21:34

Did you have sounds in your previous games? haha I have never noticed.
Stormy
great white shark

Postby Greyelf » Tue, 16Jun14 00:13

kessie8dn wrote:... do we really want sound effects that others might hear?
one word: headphones! [img]images/icones/icon14.gif[/img]

One request to anyone that does decide to add sound to their story/game, please remember to include in-built volume control and mute/unmute, because people should not have to turn down/off the sound at an operating system level because of one application.
Greyelf
star of the reef

Postby meggymiccy » Tue, 16Jun14 22:03

I usually play with the sound off on these games for several reasons, the main one of which is I need to be at least somewhat aware of my surroundings.

I guess it's a cost/benefit analysis for a game creator, though. Is what you gain adding sound worth what you lose by not putting that time to other aspects of the game. I guess from my perspective games are about:

1) Writing*
2) Visuals
3) Interface
and - distantly
4) Sound

I've never had sound make or break a game for me, but the other three, yeah. Bad story/writing. I might be out. Style of visuals not my cup of tea? Maybe gone. Interface frustrating? Seeya. But sound. I've never cared that much, I guess. And I'll echo what was said before, if you're going to make it a necessary part of the game, please note that somewhere - visually. :)
meggymiccy
sirens hunter

Postby Slayer991 » Thu, 16Jun16 15:53

tlaero wrote:I'm getting to the point in my current game where I need to start thinking about sound effects. I've decided to stop and take a look around first. What do you folks think about the sounds in my previous games? Did they add to the games, detract from them, or have no real effect? Some of the better games in this genre don't have sounds. How would you feel if I stopped putting them in my games?

I'm interested in both votes and commentary, so feel free to do either or both.

Thanks,
Tlaero

This is really up to you as an artist. If you think they add to the game, add sounds. I will say that unless the sounds are generated specifically for the game, they're distracting more often than not. I didn't really notice the sounds that much in the previous games...so they didn't detract from the experience.

Keep writing great stories with the great artwork...and if you feel that as an artist this would enhance the experience...please do so. Based on your work so far, I have confidence that no matter what you decide, it will be great.
Slayer991
great white shark

Postby Germaniac » Fri, 16Jul01 02:52

To sound or not to sound is a dificult question.
Sound can be sounds, speech or music and good sound can enhance a game. For me bad sound can ruin a game for me.

Sounds like birds singing or closing of a door can probably found as free sound effects which could be used in a free game.
So you can add ocean sound at the beach or birds singing in a park, then some players have not to imagine these sounds in their imagination when the see the images.

Speech can be sex moanings or normal speech. Perhaps game creators can find some speakers who speak the dialogs, but for me speech is a difficult topic.
A year ago I waited at a bus stop for the bus and I saw a beautiful women over the street talking to another woman. I wante to talk to her, so I crossed the street, but then I could hear her conversation with the other woman I do not want to talkt her anymore. For me her voice was ugly and she also spoke an ugly German dialect.

Music can improve the atmosphere of a game. Some time ago I played an Asian themed non erotic flash game which had music. The music of the ninja attack was cool and enhanced the drama of the attack. Many years ago I visited a friend who played the game Silent Hill (I do not remember which part).The music improved the horror atmosphere of the game.
Think also about music in movies. Fantasy movies will have for example battle music. I can also think about music in an erotic private investigator story where the hero visit a jazz club, a blues bar or a club depending on the year the game plays.

I do not know how many game creators are also good music composers and how music composers react if they are asked by game crewtors who want to use the music in an erotic game.

I can imagine several scenes in Redemption for Jessika, where music could be added, but for me using the "wrong" music in a game can ruin that game for me.

I play erotic games always with muted tabs or sounds off, because I do not want to ruin sound the game, I dislike to play with a headphone and my decision either to play or not to play a game can only be based on the information about the game and on the screenshots. This can only cover my tastes of story, gameplay and beauty, but it can not cover my sound preferences.
I am not an native English speaker, so if you find some mistakes in my English, inform me, so I can correct them and improve my English.
Germaniac
sirens hunter

Previous

Return to Free sexy games