Pandora part I

Complete and totally free games (the author can request a non-obligatory financial contribution in thanks or to help him to create new game)

Re: Pandora part I

Postby tlaero » Sun, 16Nov06 18:26

Yeah, I struggled a little bit with the doctor, Laura. There were places where I corrected her English and wasn't sure if I should. Obviously, I didn't take out the places she said "si" etc, but some of the phraseology might have worked equally well the original way. Mortze, you should check out that scene and let me know. I'm happy to change it any way you'd like.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby Mortze » Sun, 16Nov06 20:25

tlaero wrote:Yeah, I struggled a little bit with the doctor, Laura. There were places where I corrected her English and wasn't sure if I should. Obviously, I didn't take out the places she said "si" etc, but some of the phraseology might have worked equally well the original way. Mortze, you should check out that scene and let me know. I'm happy to change it any way you'd like.

Just PMd you about that.

Tlaero is doing a massive work on checking and correcting any English and coding errors of Pandora Part I. I must, again, publicly, thank her from all my heart!

There is also the possibility to add, for this episode, and all the ones following, a Skip button to go through all those (boring) description or story pages faster. There were some complains about the lack of such feature. I kind of understand. I didn't wrote the game thinking of its replayability.
So, for all the scenes where there aren't variables (choices for the player to gain points) there will be a Skip button.

Another thing that I'd like to talk about is the rendering engine for the rest of Pandora part II. I've started rendering it with 3DLight because at the time I didn't had hardware, and the knowhow, to go with Iray. Things changed a lot now with Findig Miranda. I learnt a lot with IRay. And when I go back and see the pictures I did with Pandora part I and the few with part II I am not satisfied with the art.
I don't know if I should finish Pandora Part II with 3DLight or change to IRay. The difference will be obvious. On the other side, people might not like a difference in art quality in the middle of the game.

I'd like to hear your opinions on that, please.
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

sex: Masculine

Postby Regardie » Sun, 16Nov06 21:03

If you like the iray look better, I would say move to it for all future renders.

Then when you are old and gray you can go back to part 1 and re-render the old assets in iray and release it as a Special Edition. Oh and don't forget to fill the backgrounds with useless fluff like robots and more land speeders. Oh and make sure Han doesn't shoot first.... I may have gotten a little off track there, sorry.
Regardie
great white shark

Postby Dolphin-BR » Mon, 16Nov07 21:33

Mortze wrote:...
I don't know if I should finish Pandora Part II with 3DLight or change to IRay. The difference will be obvious. On the other side, people might not like a difference in art quality in the middle of the game.

I'd like to hear your opinions on that, please.

I don't know what features IRay offers, but as long as no new models are used for the already introduced characters, IRay would be fine in my opinion.
Dolphin-BR
star of the reef

Postby Mortze » Mon, 16Nov07 23:55

Dolphin-BR wrote:I don't know what features IRay offers

You're right. That might not be clear.

Here are the 2 renderings for comparison.

3DLight render in 1m29s.
IRay render in 2m56s.

Image[/url]
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby darkefire » Tue, 16Nov08 00:49

Man, it looks like completely two different times of day, I could go for either depending on what the setting is supposed to evoke. iRay is certainly brighter, but I guess it depends on which look you feel better fits the mood of the scene.
darkefire
Pilot fish

Postby The Spice Must Flow » Tue, 16Nov08 03:38

I'm always for consistency in games. Change of render engine will be visible and, from my point of view, it will look weird if image quality jumps (or drops. Iray can be weird) midgame.
The Spice Must Flow
Pilot fish

Postby tlaero » Tue, 16Nov08 04:37

Mortze, I think you should decide this way.

When all is said and done, will there be one download that contains Pandora parts I and II, where you start at the beginning of part I and play all the way through to the end of part II (potentially with a "skip to part II" option)? Or will it always be two separate downloads with two separate games that you start independently?

If the former, you should stick with 3dlight throughout.
If the latter, you should switch to iRay.

The fact that Finding Miranda looks so much better than DwE and RfJ isn't a problem, because it's a separate game. Similarly, the fact that Mass Effect 2 looks so much better than Mass Effect 1 isn't a problem, because IT'S a separate game. If Pandora part II is a separate game from Pandora part I, there's no problem with making the graphics better.

But, if it's one combined game where, you play around with Maggie in the sub in 3dlight and then you click on the hatch and, BOOM you're in iRay, that would be jarring. Unless, of course, you're doing it for effect like the black and white vs color thing in The Wizard of Oz. You know, Kean gets some and it brightens his whole outlook on life, and all that. (-:

Now, personally, I think it should be made into one combined game. But I'll make it work however you choose.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby saylor » Tue, 16Nov08 06:24

My personal opinion is that both images look great. Yes, the Iray is brighter & more detail can be seen, but I also noticed it doubled your render time. Further, I agree about the whole "parts of same game look the same, while sequel's can be different" aspect Tlaero pointed out. So if Pandora part II is a separate game, I'd say go w/ the newer technique that you like. If it's meant to be melded w/ part I, keep the old method, then do that George Lucas thing 20 years from now....
saylor
great white shark

Postby Hoboy » Tue, 16Nov08 07:22

I can see what you like about the IRay image - the color saturation is really nice and shows a more vibrant, lifelike feel. I know that's probably what you want to do now that you have the capability. But I do have to agree that to have it change so dramatically part way into the story would be jarring. Ultimately the choice is yours as the creator, but I really am looking forward to your future works. You keep improving with everything I see of your work. Maybe some re-renders in IRay of images as an extra/bonus?
Hoboy
lagoon predator

Postby kexter » Tue, 16Nov08 09:46

Mortze wrote:3DLight render in 1m29s.
IRay render in 2m56s.
I think you should also consider the time required for setting up a scene and then the time required doing post work on the images, not just the render time. As far as I understand it, setting up the scene and lighting for Iray is simpler and there's usually less post work required to make the images look good. Even if that wasn't the case, I'd say go with Iray - it's leaps ahead of the other one.
@kextercius
kexter

Postby yahoo » Tue, 16Nov08 11:38

There's one oddity about the iray render. I don't know if it's intentional, but look at the shadow on the ship's side in the background -- soft edges in 3dlight, quite hard shadow in the iray render.

Was it intentional?
yahoo
great white shark

Postby Mortze » Tue, 16Nov08 15:18

Thanks for the opinions so far.

Thing is, I've already done almost 300 pics of Part II with 3DLight. Migrating to IRay will obviously change the pictures tone.

There are pros and cons to both methods of course. But in my opinion, I prefer to work with IRay. The pictures are just way nicer to look at. I won't do any more games with Tlaero in 3DLight, that's for sure. Finding Miranda is a mark.

Also, any further Pandora episodes beyond Part II will also be with IRay.

My doubts were about this Part II particularly. As I said, a considerable amount of pics have already been rendered in 3DLight.
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby Sarchx » Tue, 16Nov08 17:10

Iray is definately better than 3delight, both to work with - and the quality you get out of it (my opinion).

But I'd agree with tlaero that you should finish in 3delight for consistency, but also so you don't have to redo everything.
(Even if you have saved all scenes, it'll be a lot of work to switch it all to Iray and render it again.)

One day, when you run out of ideas and stories, you can go back and make a iray versions [img]images/icones/icon10.gif[/img]
Sarchx
Sarchx
lagoon predator

Postby dauner » Tue, 16Nov08 17:27

Sarchx wrote:Iray is definately better than 3delight, both to work with - and the quality you get out of it (my opinion).

But I'd agree with tlaero that you should finish in 3delight for consistency, but also so you don't have to redo everything.
(Even if you have saved all scenes, it'll be a lot of work to switch it all to Iray and render it again.)

One day, when you run out of ideas and stories, you can go back and make a iray versions [img]images/icones/icon10.gif[/img]

Couldn't have said it better!
dauner
sirens hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Free sexy games