Helping with games on the Mac

Complete and totally free games (the author can request a non-obligatory financial contribution in thanks or to help him to create new game)

Helping with games on the Mac

Postby hughx » Mon, 15Jun15 21:27

I know there are few of us here so I wanted to share a tool for playing games on the Mac. While you can run Windows on your machine(I prefer using rEFIt), it's inconvenient to switch over just to play a game. Wine works some of the time, but I found having an old PC around much easier. Eventually, I put linux on the PC and lost my game tester.

I found this Lifehacker post on Wineskin Winery. First if you've tried Wine and were unsatisfied, this is using Wine but there's a lot of options to help you get around issues. As far as popular PC games, there a tab with a list of them and check boxes. Click the box and it modifies the settings for you to play the game.

So far, I have had success with Icebaer3's Get Rich and John Smith(GER not English) and vortex_vt's Last Man games. As far as I can tell, Adrift and Rags games are out of the question because you need to install the game engine before you can play the game. I play TADS games with QTads, if that helps any of you. There's a similar program called Wine Bottler, but I was not as successful and Wineskin had more options.
hughx
sirens hunter

sex: Masculine

Re: Helping with games on the Mac

Postby Trucla » Tue, 15Jun16 17:20

Hi!
I'm not a Mac user, but thanks for the tips.
By the way and out of curiousity is it possible to use Mono in a Mac? If it is, there is an Adrift version of the Adrift player for Linux (with Mono) that possibly works in a Mac.
Just my 2 cents...
Cheers!
Trucla
If a guy is hungry, don't feed him! Just offer a fishing rod and teach him fishing!
Trucla
legend of the South Seas

Postby Hoboy » Wed, 15Jun17 05:14

So far the only games I miss playing on Mac are Adrift (w/media) and RPGMaker games. Most Renpy are Mac compatible, and QTads works great. Flash games that are bundled as .exe's can also be a problem (that I can work around).

I have never had luck with Wine - not worth it for what I am missing. I have a PC, Android based phone and tablet, as well as an iPad, so am not missing too much. I really only wish RPGMaker could be MacOS compatible, but - oh well...
Hoboy
lagoon predator

Postby hughx » Wed, 15Jun17 15:00

Trucla-
I did read about using the Adrift player with Mono and I can't remember if I was turned off by the fact that I was going to have to install 2 things just to play an hour long game, or if I tried it unsuccessfully. I should probably mention that Wineskin WInery gives you an option to install Mono and Gecko as well in hopes of doing a better job emulating the PC.

Hoboy-
I totally felt the same way about Wine. Heh, I still do. So many of the "workarounds" like Wine are typically not documented well. Since I found that tutorial on Lifehacker, I decided to give it a try and I was pleasantly surprised. The process doesn't take long, but if I had a PC around I wouldn't waste my time.
hughx
sirens hunter

Return to Free sexy games