Overseer with Rags engine

Complete and totally free games (the author can request a non-obligatory financial contribution in thanks or to help him to create new game)

Re: Overseer with Rags engine

Postby kessie8yl » Fri, 13Jul26 20:51

ExLibris wrote:
kessie8yl wrote:Despite this, these games are enthusiastically received by the AIF crowd and even go on to win awards - the fact there are only 3 entrants and someone has to win it doesn't seem to matter.

It's odd that you should mention this as a criticism, since the Erins were put on hiatus several years ago precisely because not enough games were being released to make them worthwhile as a competition.

You'll have to forgive me because my eyesight isn't what it was, but this sure looks like it says "2013" to me...

http://newsletter.aifcommunity.org/index.php?id=minicomp.html

Not so much mini as micro...
kessie8yl
legend of the South Seas

sex: Masculine

Postby ExLibris » Fri, 13Jul26 22:10

kessie8yl wrote:
ExLibris wrote:
kessie8yl wrote:Despite this, these games are enthusiastically received by the AIF crowd and even go on to win awards - the fact there are only 3 entrants and someone has to win it doesn't seem to matter.

It's odd that you should mention this as a criticism, since the Erins were put on hiatus several years ago precisely because not enough games were being released to make them worthwhile as a competition.

You'll have to forgive me because my eyesight isn't what it was, but this sure looks like it says "2013" to me...

http://newsletter.aifcommunity.org/index.php?id=minicomp.html

Not so much mini as micro...

Yes, that is the *Minicomp*, which in 2013 did indeed get only three entries (a record low). That's why the voting was much abbreviated compared to past years, when there have been up to a dozen entries. But it is a competition, so I don't know why it's strange that someone should win it, even if there are only three entries.

What I was referring to were the *Erins*, the annual awards voted on by the AIF community, which haven't been held since 2009.
ExLibris
legend of the South Seas

sex: Female

Postby ExLibris » Fri, 13Jul26 22:38

kessie8yl wrote:I have tried RAGS games - although I can't remember which. Says it all really... but you don't really need me to tell you - judge for yourself by the comments left for this game... The only comments other than mine are 2 or 3 RAGS regulars responding to them. Nobody apart from you guys are interested...

QED

So a single two-and-a-half day old thread is a referendum on the popularity of all RAGS games everywhere? Do you work in politics perhaps?

I can think of a couple of possible reasons why this thread hasn't taken off like a rocket:
1. RAGS games aren't particularly popular on this forum (although they do okay in their own 'ghetto')
2. It's a tf oriented game, which narrows the potential audience
3. Someone has made a concerted effort to derail the thread

I realise that you don't like RAGS games (or much of anything as far as I can tell), but that doesn't mean that no one else is allowed to.
ExLibris
legend of the South Seas

sex: Female

Postby Morgwen » Sat, 13Jul27 09:09

kessie8yl wrote:I have tried RAGS games - although I can't remember which. Says it all really... but you don't really need me to tell you - judge for yourself by the comments left for this game... The only comments other than mine are 2 or 3 RAGS regulars responding to them. Nobody apart from you guys are interested...

QED

I don`t need to judge by the comments of the game here... this game is not one of the good ones (in my eyes) I was referring to... but you judge from the comments of ONE game and say that all are crap... to be honest the first games I tried with RAGS were so bad that I didn`t want to try other... but I was bored and I discovered a few good ones... so if you think that its enough to play 2 or 3 games and judge about several hundreds of games than this is just your personal problem... instead you could try one of the mentioned games like Dangerous Assets or Tales of the Drunken Cowboy, and you will see what developers can do in their "free" time...
Morgwen
lagoon predator

Postby kessie8yl » Sat, 13Jul27 23:32

Morgwen wrote:

QED

I don`t need to judge by the comments of the game here... this game is not one of the good ones (in my eyes) I was referring to... but you judge from the comments of ONE game and say that all are crap... to be honest the first games I tried with RAGS were so bad that I didn`t want to try other... but I was bored and I discovered a few good ones... so if you think that its enough to play 2 or 3 games and judge about several hundreds of games than this is just your personal problem... instead you could try one of the mentioned games like Dangerous Assets or Tales of the Drunken Cowboy, and you will see what developers can do in their "free" time...

Now you're putting words into my mouth. I clearly said the lack of comments demonstrated a general lack of interest to these games on this board, which was the same point I was trying to make when the whole conversation started if you bothered to read it back. I passed no other judgement regarding the lack of comments and I cannot see how you have arrived at your conclusion.

I certainly have not expressed any opinion whatsoever about this particular game and nor would I, seeing as I don't ever intend to instal RAGS again. Furthermore, any views I've expressed about RAGS and other AIF games are purely my own and I have not to my knowlege attempted to suggest otherwise.

As for only playing 2 or 3 games - By played I mean stuck at and played to the end. To be perfectly honest it may have been a few more than 2 or 3 if you count the ones where I've resorted to looking up walkthroughs rather than spend hours playing "guess the verb", but I have tried numerous others and lost interest very quickly for the reasons I've already given. I salute your patience, credit where it's due, however mine reached its' limit.

It may also interest other contributors to know I was playing text-based games as long ago as the mid 80's on a ZX Spectrum, so please don't talk to me like I'm some noob and don't know what I'm talking about. The Hobbit was a particular favourite - The mere memory of the phrase "Thorin sits down and sings about gold" still makes me want to swear... Maybe these guys would tighten up their writing a bit if they imagined they only had 64Kb of RAM to play with?
kessie8yl
legend of the South Seas

Postby Morgwen » Sat, 13Jul27 23:59

kessie8yl wrote:Now you're putting words into my mouth. I clearly said the lack of comments demonstrated a general lack of interest to these games on this board, which was the same point I was trying to make when the whole conversation started if you bothered to read it back. I passed no other judgement regarding the lack of comments and I cannot see how you have arrived at your conclusion.

[img]images/icones/icon12.gif[/img]

kessie8yl wrote:It seems to me the reason for the RAGS forum being where it is lies with the fact that 99% of the games seem to exist only to entertain the developer...

so please don't talk to me like I'm some noob and don't know what I'm talking about.

No, I talk to you like somebody who judge about games he never played...only judge about the games you played. If you don´t like them ok, but this is not the fault of the RAGS engine... and I don`t know why you had a "guess the verb" problem... the most RAGS games don´t require text input, are you sure you are talking about RAGS and not TADS, ADRIFT etc.?
Morgwen
lagoon predator

Postby nvtsbamf » Sun, 13Jul28 00:14

anyway....

this crashes on loading a saved game for me. also, i had to try at least 5 times before i even made it past the beginning of the game. i have no idea what choices let me progress without losing
nvtsbamf
great white shark

Postby kessie8yl » Wed, 13Jul31 00:11

Morgwen wrote:
kessie8yl wrote:Now you're putting words into my mouth. I clearly said the lack of comments demonstrated a general lack of interest to these games on this board, which was the same point I was trying to make when the whole conversation started if you bothered to read it back. I passed no other judgement regarding the lack of comments and I cannot see how you have arrived at your conclusion.

[img]images/icones/icon12.gif[/img]

kessie8yl wrote:It seems to me the reason for the RAGS forum being where it is lies with the fact that 99% of the games seem to exist only to entertain the developer...

so please don't talk to me like I'm some noob and don't know what I'm talking about.

No, I talk to you like somebody who judge about games he never played...only judge about the games you played. If you don´t like them ok, but this is not the fault of the RAGS engine... and I don`t know why you had a "guess the verb" problem... the most RAGS games don´t require text input, are you sure you are talking about RAGS and not TADS, ADRIFT etc.?

I have already said I managed to play through a few games - but even by the accumulated comments of the people posting in here, it is apparent that we agree that you have to wade through a lot of dross to find the good games. You may think the returns are worth the effort. I don't. I guess it's a Marmite thing - you either love it or hate it... but there's no need for anyone to start chucking their dummy out of the pram just because I happen not to agree.

I have tried RAGS games - I didn't like them and I didn't like RAGS so I won't be trying any more. So what you want to do? Sue me?

I really don't mind one way or the other but if you bothered to read the whole conversation instead of just jumping on the "You don't like RAGS?? Well let me tell you...." bandwagon you will see my orginal question was simply "Shouldn't this be in the board for RAGS games?"... My opinion of RAGS/AIF wasn't the reason for my question. I just instinctively felt the poster might get more relevant feedback from the RAGS board because that's where most of the people who are into this sort of game hang out - and on that note I can only point out (again) that even now there seems to have been just one comment related to the actual topic so far - and that was to say someone wasn't able to download it... I rather think my point has been made.

That's my final word on the subject... I don't know about any third parties who may attempt to read this, but it's beginning to bore me now.

Happy gaming all :)

PS: Many apologies - I forgot Morgwen's comment about this not being one of the good games... So that makes it 2 comments relating to the topic, although I'm not sure it counts as "feedback".
kessie8yl
legend of the South Seas

Postby kessie8yl » Wed, 13Jul31 00:19

ExLibris wrote:1. RAGS games aren't particularly popular on this forum (although they do okay in their own 'ghetto')

Thank you - That was all I was trying to say from the beginning. I'm sorry but your comment slipped under the radar. I wish I'd noticed it sooner.

Now that really IS my last word on the subject..
kessie8yl
legend of the South Seas

Postby Guntag » Wed, 13Jul31 00:44

Ianopolos, in your first post, you should link to this thread at the hypnopics forum : http://www.hypnopics-collective.net/smf ... opic=19664
The most recent update is there (with faster load times) along with an ongoing discussion if people get stuck.
Guntag
lagoon predator

Postby Morgwen » Wed, 13Jul31 09:55

kessie8yl wrote: bandwagon you will see my orginal question was simply "Shouldn't this be in the board for RAGS games?"...

I read it and I agree... but it seems that the mods think it should not. I also wonder why there is a Game concept section and people are posting there Demo/Betas here?
But as long the mods don´t care, I don`t care either...
Morgwen
lagoon predator

Postby ianopolos » Wed, 13Jul31 12:08

Guntag wrote:Ianopolos, in your first post, you should link to this thread at the hypnopics forum : http://www.hypnopics-collective.net/smf ... opic=19664
The most recent update is there (with faster load times) along with an ongoing discussion if people get stuck.

Okay thanks i changed that in first post and add new version v1.11

I posted this game in this section mostly because of its story and i tried lots of Rags and Tads games and pick only 3 for its story.
Dark of the Night 1.2, The Jade Ring 0.1.5.4,
Last edited by ianopolos on Mon, 13Sep23 07:26, edited 1 time in total.
ianopolos
sirens hunter

Postby SlLePER » Wed, 13Jul31 12:44

So I just played through the most of the game (I think), until I got stuck after Command bunker sequence and I'd like to post here my impressions so far...
- first I have to mention the save/load times and I'm not exagerating when I say that it's total abomination (v1.11 really helps with this, but it's still a hell of lot to take)
- it's not finished - I know it said beta, but still... it said PLAYABLE and it is, mostly...
- there aren't many outright serious bugs (the one when I got stuck is the only one I experienced in the entire game) but the game itself is extremely chaotic, for example research, you don't know (except for few exception covered by ingame help) what exactly it does (only hint being the actual name) and even if you will have acess to it, or you need another workstation, room... or bugged descriptions (they mysteriously fixed themselves exactly one time but it didn't last)
- repetitive missions, there are only two types - build something/have certain harmony, population, power levels and attack someone/build something/have certain harmony, population, power levels and they circle themsels regularly - assigments are definetly better in this instance, but even if you complete one it can still present itself in the future
- the management/strategy elements themselfs are also bit repetitive and bit easy for my taste

and now on the brighter side...
- other than mentioned above, the management/strategy elements are good and playable
- relatively good story
- assigments can liven up this game and bring more light on the story
- original concept (for me - I'm sure it's there somewhere in another form)

I think, that it's not a totaly bad game (it certainly could be quite good) but I would have (and I REALLY should have) stay clear of it at least till v2.00
SlLePER
sirens hunter

Postby Brigma » Wed, 13Jul31 14:32

We all agree that we don't agree, back on topic plz
Brigma
lagoon predator

Postby Morgwen » Wed, 13Jul31 22:54

Brigma wrote:We all agree that we don't agree, back on topic plz

:crazy:

We are on topic...

The topic is "Overseer with RAGS engine"... and we discussed about the engine... :p

Ok this was my last comment. [img]images/icones/icon7.gif[/img]
Morgwen
lagoon predator

PreviousNext

Return to Free sexy games