Old Habits

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

Re: Old Habits

Postby Greyelf » Sat, 17Dec30 20:32

tlaero wrote:It's awkward because being early is socially kind of bad...

When did it become bad manners to arrive somewhere slightly before the appointed time? *sigh*

** For my wedding we deliberately lied to the guests about the start time, stating that it started 15 min earlier than it really did, simply because people have gotten used to arriving to things some time after the indicated time. And even then two guest arrived at the same time as the Bride (and had to get out of her way) even though she was 3 minutes 'late' of the real start time. eg. Those guests were 18 minutes late of the time they were told to arrive.
Greyelf
star of the reef

sex: Masculine

Postby tlaero » Sat, 17Dec30 22:33

It's situational. Arriving early to a movie theater? Not a problem. To a person's house? Maybe. Depends on how early. 5 minutes? No problem. An hour? They're probably not ready for you. Etc.

In this case, it must be at least somewhat bad, because the sentence says so:

>You'd be early if you headed there now which wouldn't be too bad.

Given that, you need a "but" or an "although" etc.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby Eldormain » Sat, 17Dec30 23:22

Haha, yeah, arriving at someones death bed, "I'm here for the funeral," that's bad. If you add a 'but', "I'm here for the funeral but I'll wait," That shouldn't be as awkward. [img]images/icones/icon17.gif[/img]

Tlaero, this brings up a point in regards to that sentence. I just need to rephrase it. In my head he was thinking that it wouldn't be too bad to arrive at the bar early. You know, tie one or two on before meeting whoever. In this case, although you're completely correct, I think it's less a grammatical error and more of a clarity error.

Eldormain

[img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]
------------------------------------------------------

"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets; art deserves that, for it and knowledge can raise man to the Divine." - Ludwig van Beethoven
Eldormain
lagoon predator

Postby tlaero » Sun, 17Dec31 01:31

The purpose of good grammar is clarity. (-:

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby Eldormain » Mon, 18Jan01 00:44

tlaero wrote:Any graphics program will let you save your JPGs at lower quality/higher compression levels.

There's a tool in the AC2 distribution called jpgConv. If you run it, set the quality to 7, grab all of your files and drag them to the window, it'll convert them all at once.

Renpy has advantages and disavantages, as does AC2. But you should probably decide what you're going to use before you go much farther, as the conversion is going to take some effort.

Tlaero

Hello Tlaero,

I looked into image compression today and as you mentioned GIMP and Photoshop have this option. I experimented looking for a good compression percentage. At first I went over board with one image and then brought it into alignment with what you mentioned/suggested. At 80% (or 8) the image still looked good without any noticeable change. I was scratching my head a little at 70% but think I was seeing some difference. I am going to have to side with Mortze on this one as I was definitely seeing a degradation at 60%. The file at 80% was just a little smaller then 1/5th the size as you said. It's nice to know the process now and how simple it is.

The compression tool in AC2 sounds enticing and much easier then saving a file twice. Especially with 80 images into the process already. My next step is to look back at AC2 and I will let you know if I have any questions.

There are certainly some nice features in Ren'py. The way I have been thinking about taking advantage of these features would increase the workload but could make for a more exciting story. However, I feel that having the story viewable in a web-based format overshadows the features I have planned on taking advantage of.

I wouldn't be surprised if I reach out again.

Eldormain

"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets; art deserves that, for it and knowledge can raise man to the Divine." - Ludwig van Beethoven
Eldormain
lagoon predator

Postby MaxCarna » Fri, 18Jan05 08:57

Hey Eldormain

Great game, really nice work with the arcs on the buildings.

What did you made with this Gimp? I didn't know it, will take a look.

I personally think that the bike was hundred percent better than that futuristic that you showed on "Render Advice and Feedback"

Some small hints:
- This promo image is not making justice to the girl, she is seeing old but she is beautiful inside the game. Specially in the scene that she says "I was really looking to this. I love your invulnerability..."
- In the end you mention your game page but there is no link leading to it and it is gone when I clicked. Maybe put it on the main menu can helps.

Congratulations
MaxCarna
star of the reef

Postby Eldormain » Fri, 18Jan05 14:36

Thanks MaxCarna. I appreciate the feedback.

The leaping motion/path is a manipulated SY Energy Beams (https://www.daz3d.com/sy-energy-beams-iray). It's nicely rigged and allowed me to keep things in DAZ. I had originally played with using translucent images of Adam but it bogged the program down. I hadn't thought about adding those images in post work as I was trying to simplify things. It's funny, during this entire learning process, I have thought I am making things easier for myself but to get something I am satisfied with took ages. Plus, most of the post work I have done has been pretty quick. Learning gimp vs photoshop wasn't much of a stretch.

I think that is interesting about the Title Page image. As I'm sure you are already aware the avatar is the same and the lighting is pretty close to the same as in those scenes. Actually, now that I think about it I don't think that is true. I was using Sun and Sky for most of that opening sequence. But starting with the image of her entering the bathroom I switched to Dome and Scene as I wanted lights from the bathroom to illuminate her. Again trying to make things easier for myself I was able to replicate the Sun and Sky lighting in the image of Adam doing up his pants with Dome and Scene lighting (I did it to make things easier but also as a challenge to myself).

And regarding the link. I spent hours upon hours reading up on adding a link to an image in the forums and anywhere I thought I could find something that worked. In the end, wanting to get this thing released, I opted to deal with it later. I still haven't found anything that helps me with that(as well as something that works for changing the .exe icon). I found several things that talked about it and how to do it but either their descriptions were missing something, my lack of coding knowledge kept it from working, or I was doing something incorrectly. Apologies for that. I know from personal experience that not having a clickable link there is frustrating and off-putting.

Oh yeah, and the bike... There was only a reference to his bike. I do still plan on using the one you had seen. Sorry. But it is part of the mix of technologies that Tlaero had referred to.

Eldormain

Eldormain
lagoon predator

Postby MaxCarna » Sat, 18Jan06 09:02

Eldormain wrote:The leaping motion/path is a manipulated SY Energy Beams (https://www.daz3d.com/sy-energy-beams-iray).

It seems a great item for fantasy theme, I putted it on my wishlist. Thanks for sharing

Eldormain wrote:As I'm sure you are already aware the avatar is the same and the lighting is pretty close to the same as in those scenes.

Maybe is just the combination of the pose and the angle of the light. She has a thin face, it's seems nice inside the game, but in this promo image, there is something that I didn't like.

Eldormain wrote:And regarding the link. I spent hours upon hours reading up on adding a link to an image in the forums

As I focused on the html technology, I can't help much, have you tried this? https://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewt ... p?p=271563

Eldormain wrote:Oh yeah, and the bike... There was only a reference to his bike. I do still plan on using the one you had seen. Sorry. But it is part of the mix of technologies that Tlaero had referred to.

Ow my bad, sorry! There is a harley when he leave the building and the girl is in a yellow car. I assumed that this was his ride.
MaxCarna
star of the reef

Postby Eldormain » Tue, 18Mar20 04:12

Hello All,

I am finally getting around to posting an updated version of "Old Habits." This stretch has been made up of even more learning and reinforcement of what had been learned. I have fleshed out parts from the Teaser. This required some rewriting but flows better and more closely matches my original idea. Some images were re-rendered and other touched with post-work. There are many new images, as well. For the creators who might be wondering, I am using DA3D 4.9 and GIMP for most of the work. I try to do as much as I can in DAZ without overburdening the program and my machine. GIMP gets used mostly for touch-ups of small details that I had either missed or decided to deal with in post-work because three render attempts was enough. [img]images/icones/icon18.gif[/img] I have also reduced the size of the images which will hopefully help the entire project and how it displays on various computers.

Download Old Habits 2.0 Here

This download includes Old Habits 2.0 for PC.

As always, I look forward to your feedback.

Eldormain

Last edited by Eldormain on Tue, 18Mar20 06:01, edited 1 time in total.

Eldormain
lagoon predator

Postby MaxCarna » Tue, 18Mar20 05:53

Eldormain,

When you unzip the 2.0-pc it become 1.0-pc in it is smaller than the previous version 126mb x 100mb.

It's the right file?

Thanks
MaxCarna
star of the reef

Postby Eldormain » Tue, 18Mar20 06:05

Thanks for pointing that out, MaxCarna. The executable is in that folder is the updated game. The naming of the folder was off. So, just some paperwork. But thank you for pointing that out. I have corrected the miss-pen to remove confusion. And the link above is updated as well.

Eldormain.

Eldormain
lagoon predator

Postby MaxCarna » Thu, 18Mar22 01:18

Hey Eldormain,

Sorry I could'nt test it yet, but I notice that they create a topic on https: // *****.com /threads/old-habits-chapter-1-2-0-eiderdown-productions.7336/

Don't know if you have seened yet, there are a lot of comments there.
Last edited by MaxCarna on Thu, 18Mar22 06:12, edited 1 time in total.
MaxCarna
star of the reef

Postby Eldormain » Thu, 18Mar22 04:55

I am not aware of thread or topic about Old Habits that I haven't created. That link didn't work, fyi. I am interested to see what it's about.

Eldormain

Eldormain
lagoon predator

Postby JeuxKen » Wed, 18Apr11 15:03

Hi!
I played the second demo and I like it so far :)
I prefere games with more choices, with real impact on the story, and with combat simulation, possibly with bad game over... but your super hero story is nice anyway.
JeuxKen
sirens hunter

Postby Eldormain » Thu, 18Apr19 11:40

Thanks for the feedback, JeuxKen. It's always good to hear feedback about your project. I'm glad you enjoyed what you have seen so far.

Eldormain

Eldormain
lagoon predator

Previous

Return to Projects