To animate or not...

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

To animate or not...

Postby _Inerfa » Sat, 17Feb25 20:33

Hey guys and girls,

Animations often are low quality and/or increase the game size considerately.
Would you rather have more different images, or less images and more animations?
And in general, do you feel they are important?

Thanks for your feedback!
_Inerfa
great white shark

sex: Masculine

Re: To animate or not...

Postby Guntag » Sat, 17Feb25 21:49

I actually prefer more scenes/images than animations !
Guntag
lagoon predator

Postby Guntag » Sat, 17Feb25 21:52

Also, here is a fairly recent (less than a year) thread with the same question and a poll : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3860
Guntag
lagoon predator

Postby Sid Valentine » Sat, 17Feb25 23:39

If I had to pick I'd definitely go with more images. I think more images of the characters in different poses or with different expressions helps scenes more than animation does.
Sid Valentine
great white shark

Postby _Inerfa » Sun, 17Feb26 21:50

Thanks for the feedback guys, and thanks for pointing out the poll Guntag, that is a perfect answer to my question!
_Inerfa
great white shark

Postby lath » Tue, 17Feb28 13:10

Images and flavorful text usually works better as the current limitations of animation often detract from the experience.
lath
sirens hunter

Postby tlaero » Sat, 17Mar11 19:06

I seriously think we did too few animations in Finding Miranda. I thought the number in Redemption for Jessika was the correct amount. For the most part, animations should be 5 or maybe 7 frames. More than that, and you're on the wrong side of the tradeoff between pictures and animations. And I think there should be many more pictures than animations in a sex scene. For a short scene, 1 or 2 animations. For a long one, 4 or 5.

But we always get feedback that people like the animations in our games.

In other words, yes, do more pictures than animations, but don't get rid of animations entirely.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby flyrenders » Tue, 17Aug15 20:08

I prefer animations, but why you worry about the game's size ? For me that's the last thing to worry about considering there are huge games out there. You can worry about game performance (even though an average PC will be able to run your project no matter what you do).
flyrenders
great white shark

Postby sandragiak » Tue, 17Aug15 22:51

I prefer lots of pictures, covering all the possible acts and situations.
sandragiak
Pilot fish

sex: Female

Postby Greyelf » Wed, 17Aug16 00:15

flyrenders wrote:...but why you worry about the game's size ?

Not everyone enjoys waiting for large downloads or has unlimited/fast bandwidth, so some care/forethought needs to be taken when considering how many images will be in each release of the product, and how large the final product will be.

a. If the images can be incrementally downloaded (each release only includes new/changed images) then the downloads will be smaller, thus taking less time/bandwidth.
b. If the new releases are less regular/spread apart then the end-user will be less worried about the size of each download.
c. etc...
Greyelf
star of the reef

Postby flyrenders » Wed, 17Aug16 18:47

Greyelf wrote:
flyrenders wrote:...but why you worry about the game's size ?

Not everyone enjoys waiting for large downloads or has unlimited/fast bandwidth, so some care/forethought needs to be taken when considering how many images will be in each release of the product, and how large the final product will be.

a. If the images can be incrementally downloaded (each release only includes new/changed images) then the downloads will be smaller, thus taking less time/bandwidth.
b. If the new releases are less regular/spread apart then the end-user will be less worried about the size of each download.
c. etc...

Okay, that is a problem but I think having a better game that will be worth the delay, would be better than poor graphics just for the sake of fast downloading.
If you have images (.png) and want to reduce the size of them, check this - https://tinypng.com/

It reduces the size up to 80%.
flyrenders
great white shark

Return to Projects