looking for proof-readers

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

looking for proof-readers

Postby GDS » Tue, 16Nov29 16:43

Good news everyone: I broke my feet; That means I got time to edit and finish the part-1 of Suddenly a Party
the game is already bigger then my previous game, not even bigger due to my PC limitations

Right now I'm looking for people to proofread and edit mistakes(A lot of then)
Im no native English speaker and on my last game a got a lot of volunteers for doing that, So i hope to get some people on board now.

P.S. if someone is interest in translating the game, please say so.

Now beyond here read only for technical details on the proofreading/translating

• There are 14 text files as for now, all made of "phrases" some small as 1 word, others bigger than 4 lines
  • Some text files are small,20 phrases, the biggest have 400 phrases
  • all files have this format:
    text[i,001]="Empty>Since /tom had bought some strong licuor and /car had her share
    /car passes out ass soo the last dose hits her belly"
    text[i,002]="e_eli19->That was too easy"
    text[i,003]="e_loa9->Well the game is over then, I guess"
    text[i,004]="Empty>/eli dresses up"
    text[i,005]="Empty>..."
  • You MUST edit only what is inside " " after the >
  • You cannot change the formatting of the lines
  • cannot use the names of the characters, EX: instead of "Loane" you write /loa with no capitals "/loa's body" will write "Loane's body"
    Tom = /tom
    Cameron = /cam
    Elise = /eli
    Carrie = /car
    Loane = /loa
    Susie = /sus
    -you can use "Enter"as a line breaker on phrases, or just use // as a line breaker
  • The first and only the first leather on the phrase will be automatic capitalize, and all names too
  • you you use a spelling check program like WORD, but be careful for it not to change the formatting, (open on a .TXT reader to sew how it should be first)
  • On the past week I stopped using a spellchecker program so I gained like 200% productivity, but you will find things like:
    - stya = stay
    - lose = loose
    - atetntion = attention
    and so on, so it may be a lit bit boring and annoying, but believe me it hasted my work in months, without it I was going to release it on next year
[*]Suddenly a Party!:http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3965
[*]Matt and the Bus stop Girl:http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3666
GDS
lagoon predator

sex: Masculine

Re: looking for proof-readers

Postby ttant » Tue, 16Nov29 19:08

I might have free time to help for english correction and/or french translation.
Feel free to contact me by PM [img]images/icones/icon10.gif[/img]
ttant
star of the reef

Postby caravaggio » Tue, 16Nov29 20:21

Just be careful 'cause most of the times is "lose" the correct one, not "loose".. I can't wrap my head around the fact a lot of native speakers do that mistake.. sorry for the rant

Anyway, good luck with your feet and I really look forward to play the game [img]images/icones/icon10.gif[/img]
caravaggio
lagoon predator

Postby muttdoggy » Wed, 16Nov30 09:57

Count me in! I'll help proofread the English! [img]images/icones/icon7.gif[/img]
muttdoggy
lagoon predator

Postby GDS » Wed, 16Nov30 12:04

muttdoggy wrote:Count me in! I'll help proofread the English! [img]images/icones/icon7.gif[/img]

Great, send me a e-mail
[*]Matt and the Bus stop Girl:http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3666
GDS
lagoon predator

Postby Ehlanna » Wed, 16Nov30 22:46

Count me in! Drop me anything you want checked - email to (my account name here) @ gmail.com or upload somewhere and PM me the link.
Ehlanna
star of the reef

Postby redle » Wed, 16Nov30 23:39

GDS wrote:[*]you you use a spelling check program like WORD, but be careful for it not to change the formatting, (open on a .TXT reader to sew how it should be first)
[*]On the past week I stopped using a spellchecker program so I gained like 200% productivity, but you will find things like:
- stya = stay
- lose = loose
- atetntion = attention
and so on, so it may be a lit bit boring and annoying, but believe me it hasted my work in months, without it I was going to release it on next year[/list]

Several comments on this.
1. Having multiple editors working on separate copies of the same files is a bad idea. You either need everyone working on an online resource or have a single person in charge of accepting edit suggestions and actually implementing them.
2. Even if a spellchecker stomps all over your formatting, it's really best to find a way to get your text run through one.

With #2 in mind, I did write a small Java program to copy out text into a duplicate file. The theory being the generated file is run through the spellchecker to locate errors, but the corrections would be made in the original file. (A 2-way parser could be done, or something else, but for now it is what it is)

Sample input file:
text[i,001]="Empty>Since /tom had bought some strong licuor and /car had her share
text[i,005]="Empty>..."

Sample output file:
1i Since Tom had bought some strong licuor and Carrie had her share Carrie passes out ass soo the last dose hits her belly
2i That was too easy
3i Well the game is over then, I guess
4i Elise dresses up
5i ...

Forgot that I can't upload small files here. So someone will need to message me if they are interested in any files.

For now it's pretty bare-bones. Depending whether there's any interest, and it's found to be of use, maybe I'll expand the code to do a bit more.
redle
star of the reef

Postby ttant » Thu, 16Dec01 08:06

Agreed with redle. a shared online file (a google doc or spreadsheet maybe?) might be easier for all of us to fix/translate thing without having you (GDS) to warn everyone.
ttant
star of the reef

Postby GDS » Thu, 16Dec01 13:43

ttant wrote:Agreed with redle. a shared online file (a google doc or spreadsheet maybe?) might be easier for all of us to fix/translate thing without having you (GDS) to warn everyone.

Oh, no, they are different files, a total of 15 files, so when someone working one its just that person. 13- actually because Ehlanna is working on 2 of then already

About google docs, they do format the files, does it not? I will give it a look
GDS
lagoon predator

Postby GDS » Thu, 16Dec01 14:05

redle wrote:
GDS wrote:[*]you you use a spelling check program like WORD, but be careful for it not to change the formatting, (open on a .TXT reader to sew how it should be first)
[*]On the past week I stopped using a spellchecker program so I gained like 200% productivity, but you will find things like:
- stya = stay
- lose = loose
- atetntion = attention
and so on, so it may be a lit bit boring and annoying, but believe me it hasted my work in months, without it I was going to release it on next year[/list]

Several comments on this.
1. Having multiple editors working on separate copies of the same files is a bad idea. You either need everyone working on an online resource or have a single person in charge of accepting edit suggestions and actually implementing them.
2. Even if a spellchecker stomps all over your formatting, it's really best to find a way to get your text run through one.

With #2 in mind, I did write a small Java program to copy out text into a duplicate file. The theory being the generated file is run through the spellchecker to locate errors, but the corrections would be made in the original file. (A 2-way parser could be done, or something else, but for now it is what it is)

Sample input file:
text[i,005]="Empty>..."

Sample output file:
1i Since Tom had bought some strong licuor and Carrie had her share Carrie passes out ass soo the last dose hits her belly
2i That was too easy
3i Well the game is over then, I guess
4i Elise dresses up
5i ...

Forgot that I can't upload small files here. So someone will need to message me if they are interested in any files.

For now it's pretty bare-bones. Depending whether there's any interest, and it's found to be of use, maybe I'll expand the code to do a bit more.

Thnaks mate,

But I just found out Google docs dont mess with formatting like Word so it's going to be easier to work there.

For anyone interested here a like to one of the files, if anyone else is interested I will send more files to that person:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2hHpnsa-P7BMGVEOVB3VlNCcHc/view?usp=sharing
GDS
lagoon predator

Postby ttant » Thu, 16Dec01 18:15

Don't use drive, share directly the google document. If someone try to edit the file you provide, no one can see the modification done ;)
I share the previous doc with you as an example.

Anyway, i'll start the french translation soon.
ttant
star of the reef

Postby GDS » Fri, 16Dec02 11:49

ttant wrote:Don't use drive, share directly the google document. If someone try to edit the file you provide, no one can see the modification done ;)
I share the previous doc with you as an example.

Anyway, i'll start the french translation soon.

isn't drive = Google.doc? because when I use on to she it send me to the other...
GDS
lagoon predator

Postby ttant » Fri, 16Dec02 21:19

For me drive is a share file website.
Google doc is kind of word online where you can create/edit text document.

Another way to go is to use a wiki as arianeb did for the translation of her latest game.
ttant
star of the reef

Return to Projects