Translating DwE

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

Translating DwE

Postby tlaero » Wed, 16Jun01 04:49

Is anyone interested in Translating Dreaming with Elsa?

I've converted DwE to the new AC2 format, and it can now be translated to various languages. I've got most of a Spanish translation there from Moskys. For Spanish I just need someone to translate a few settings pages that weren't there before when he did the translation.

John has offered to do Italian. (Thanks John!).

For this effort, you'll use my new AC2 tool. (currently v1.1)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/itjgnqlo4170jw4/AC2.zip

If you translated with the previous AdventureCreator tool, you'll find this one pretty familiar. Differences being that it's considerably faster and less likely to crash.

Download AC2 from the link above and DwE from here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/klo3hrk6xij6fyo/DwES.zip

Make sure you use those two links. Neither the old AC nor the original DwE will work.

Steps for the first time.
1) Open AC2. File->Open. Choose either text.en.js or pages.js (does the same thing).
2) Tools->Show Loc Tool.
3) In Loc Tool, File->Add Language.
4) Type in a two letter language (fr, it, ge, etc)
5) Click page names in GameView, then edit the LocText in LocTool.

Steps for subsequent times.
1) Open AC2. File->Open. Choose your language file (ie text.fr.js)
2) Click page names in GameView, then edit the LocText in LocTool.

A few notes on the new format.
Languages use two letters now (fr instead of French, etc)
All text is stored in a single file. The English text is in text.en.js. The French would be in text.fr.js. Etc.
A page is considered to need localization if any of the loc text lines are empty or if they're the same as the English text. If you need the text to be the same (ie "No." vs "No.") add a space at the end.
All of your work is in that one text.fr.js file. So, it's a good idea to back it up. If you lose that file, you lose all of your work.
Each time you save a page, a backup of your file is copied to the "ac" directory. If something goes horribly wrong, stop and immediately copy the backup somewhere safe. When you save it throws out the previous backup, so if you save bad stuff twice, you'll lose your backup.
GameView now shows the LocText in green if it's good and red if it's bad.
You still don't translate the [[Functions()]] but you do translate the text in them. (If that doesn't make COMPLETE sense, ask! You'll waste a lot of time, especially in DwE, if you don't understand this.)
There are some text lines you need to translate manually at the top of the text.fr.js file. MAKE A BACKUP. Then open the file in a text editor like notepad, and change the lines at the top.
When you send me your work, you only need to send the text.fr.js file (or whatever language you're using).

If you have any questions at all, ask here. Way better to ask first than to do a ton of work and need to redo it because you did it wrong.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Re: Translating DwE

Postby tlaero » Thu, 16Jun09 06:57

if anyone is working on this, please go get the newest version of AC2 (currently v1.3).

http://www.mediafire.com/download/itjgnqlo4170jw4/AC2.zip

1.2 had a terrible bug where if you hit enter in you Loc TopText box, it would corrupt your text.<loc>.js file. John Milton, Italian translator and beta tester extraordinaire, helped me track that down. Thanks John!

Just replace the existing AC2.exe with the new one and run it. If you've got a file you've been working on that's become corrupted, you can send it to me and I'll fix it for you. When you hit "enter" in that box in 1.2 it put an enter in the text, but that's an illegal character. To fix it, you just need to remove the extraneous enter, but it's pretty easy for me to find them if you don't know where they are.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Return to Projects