Brainstorm

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

Brainstorm

Postby wildride » Mon, 16Apr25 22:33

After a break from writing up a game I have started up again, and completely lost where I was at. So started to replicate an older game to get back into the coding side (test a few mechanics) and have now restarted the original project.

This game is kinda a mix of styles, I took a few cues from Zigmund who is writing Unfaithful. In that the characters would have a relationship level and days would progress by hour. However as my traditional forte is creating RPG's Ive also incorporated elements of character building.

Now where Im wanting to brainstorm is something I added into the re-worked version. Originally I had it so the player would start with a base 1 for each stat and they could train the stats during play. However when re-approaching the game I developed a character generation system to allow custom characters. This means the primary statistics will be set in stone (SPECIAL system) and not be trained up, instead skills will be derived from those base stats which will be trainable.

For example if in the game you take time to swim it would train your swimming ability.

I will be putting in obstacles which would require a certain stat level to pass. Like swimming across a river might need a combined Endurance and Swimming of 12, failing would result in being washed downstream, succeeding resulting on having crossed where you wanted to.

So heres where I want to get feedback and ideas for further skills to be included. What I have so far (not including some secret ones)

Strength: Melee Damage, Health, Climbing, Lifting Ability. (would have carry weight but rags doesn't seem to like it as a variable)
Perception: Ranged Accuracy, Notice. (ability to spot things not normally seen)
Endurance: Health, Stamina, Running, Swimming.
Charisma: Style/Looks, Persuassion, Seduction.
Intelligence: Hacking, XP Bonus, Logic.
Agility: Dodge, Melee Accuracy, Acrobatics.
Luck: Gambling.

Now Im looking for "normal" things, not superpowers. They are also able to come from two or more primary stats ie health is Strength and Endurance. I just think the list is a little light so looking for ideas, so if you have any you would like to see incorporated into a game
wildride
lagoon predator

Re: Brainstorm

Postby Skelaturi » Tue, 16Apr26 05:38

so i assume you already set your mind on rags instead of a engine like ren'py?

But at SPECIAL, would the player in any given play be able to max out all their stats, i mean can we be in 1 run that weak scientist in another play the dumb muscle; i mean it could be interesting for dialogue, if possible, that a smart man/woman has more intelligent conversation, but a dumb man: "me man, me like you, we fuck".

You also might want to consider adding those SPECIAL to sex orientated skills, a person with high stamina would last longer in bed and a perceptive person has less trouble to give his/her partner a orgasm, cause he/she knows where to find the hot spot.

Just some thoughts.
Doggy style (noun)
A sexual position which allows both participants to watch TV.
---
My weakness a deviant Redhead: http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8&start=4425#p97335

--
Seen anything wrong, a typo, to ask, anything else? PM me.
Skelaturi

sex: Masculine

Postby Dole » Tue, 16Apr26 14:28

For example if in the game you take time to swim it would train your swimming ability.

I don´t know if you have ever played Quest for Glory (Sierra Adventure).

To max for example "throw" you use "throw rock" repeat it so long you have the max. stat. So if you would use this I think it is best for example you must find a special book and when you read this you get it to 1 or 2 or special action to get a point higher all other is normal to easy and you as player only repeat the command to earn the max stat.

For example Swim 1 you can swim in a still sea and only in the near from land,on day 2 you go to a forest sea and you look around and you see something shinning in the water when you have swim 1 you can swim und try to use it with dive to get the item after you get it you stat rise one point and you have now swim 2 now you can swim and dive in the near from land and so on. So in my eyes you need a reason to max you stat and you must find the right event to get your stat higher. It is easier for people like me with no english homelanguage when you have time in the Game to find it and prove a lot most it take longer as for english homelanguage people.
Dole
star of the reef

Postby wildride » Tue, 16Apr26 21:28

Skelaturi wrote:so i assume you already set your mind on rags instead of a engine like ren'py?

But at SPECIAL, would the player in any given play be able to max out all their stats, i mean can we be in 1 run that weak scientist in another play the dumb muscle; i mean it could be interesting for dialogue, if possible, that a smart man/woman has more intelligent conversation, but a dumb man: "me man, me like you, we fuck".

You also might want to consider adding those SPECIAL to sex orientated skills, a person with high stamina would last longer in bed and a perceptive person has less trouble to give his/her partner a orgasm, cause he/she knows where to find the hot spot.

Just some thoughts.

Well gone with Rags primarily because I have bought it, and its user friendly. But no its not 100% set in stone Im actually looking at Ren'Py as an option if it allows things to work in it then yes. My quick dabble with Ren'Py shows it isnt as intuitive as Rags. (or maybe Im just sleepy)
I havent played too many Ren'Py games but Ive not seen one with actual combat incorporated into it of which I do intend to use.

Right now they couldnt max all stats, essentially how I have done it is the player gets a pool of 100 points to spend, as a stat goes higher the more it costs to increase. That 100 points allows for 6 in all stats but one (5 in that last one) or have 2 stats with 10 while keeping everything else fairly low.

Originally before the character generator, I had the primary stats trainable. On some fronts that would still work just go with primaries and forget the secondary. Just means Id drop the starting stats considerably, So where currently you could start with 100 points to spend on stats (more points the higher the stat) Id make it 50 but you will be able to train them higher.

This would make it simpler in terms of things to train.

Dole wrote:I don´t know if you have ever played Quest for Glory (Sierra Adventure).

I wasnt actually thinking of the QFG games when writing this.. however I have to admit yes quite similar to that for those secondary abilities. however a little more complex in that you likely wont max things out simply by throwing a rock you will need to move onto another activity after awhile as the gain will diminish. ie at level 1 might need a couple of throws but level 9 would need hundreds, as doing the actions would consume time it would not be efficient. The plan being that while you go about your life, events will be unfolding even without you making them happen, meaning you wont have an unlimited amount of time.
wildride
lagoon predator

Postby caravaggio » Tue, 16Apr26 21:46

I'd suggest to keep it simple, 6 stats seems a bit too much to me, better trim them down to 3 maybe and work more on the secondary skills or whatever.. you can maybe try to get some ideas from BBBen's games
caravaggio
lagoon predator

Postby wildride » Wed, 16Apr27 21:16

Ok well I've decided to keep it simple with the 7 primary stats. Im halving the starting resource pool (allows you to get 1 stat to 10, or mix them to 4-5 each.) They will be trainable but as the story arc is imposed on the PC there likely would not be the time overall to max all stats. BTW just because Im using the SPECIAL system does not mean its based on Fallout. This will not be set in a post-nuclear apocalypse :p

Skel: I already plan to have the women attracted to particular traits, ie one will have an affinity for muscles, another for intellect so all stats will have someone attracted to them.

On a final note while Im making this first part using photographs/video, I am looking for a 3d artist that wouldnt mind doing some work for part 2 etc as photographs for the continued story I dont think would work so well, and I am terrible with artwork. Really I got Daz and I stare blankly having no idea what to do. Hell if someone wanted to I would also swap the photos in this for some good rendering work. Just let me know if your interested.
wildride
lagoon predator

Postby TheGreatJoeGargery » Sun, 16May15 21:36

It's hard to come up with skills when we don't know the setting of the game or the general plot. Where are we and what are we doing in this game?
TheGreatJoeGargery
lagoon predator

Return to Projects