Translating RfJ

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

Re: Translating RfJ

Postby john milton » Mon, 16Feb29 09:10

Of course, I'll send you a PM with the Mediafire link.

John
john milton
lagoon predator

sex: Masculine

Postby tlaero » Thu, 16Mar03 07:17

I just got a translation that didn't translate _gametext.js and replaced the [[function()]] code with translated text (thus breaking all of those pages). I'm also getting a number of translations where people are changing the English pages and moving the hit targets, (thus breaking all of those pages).

Can I get a response here from everyone who is currently working on translating RfJ? I'd like to follow up with each of you and make sure everything is clear.

Also, if you have any suggestions on what I should change in AC to make these things harder to break, I'll implement them.

Here are a few things I'm planning:
1) I'm going to remove the "Allow English Language Changes" setting in LocTool. I'm going to make it that always be off (so you can't change English files accidentally).
2) I'm going to do something that blocks you from saving files in LocTool if you remove the [[ ]] text.

Thank you for all the work you folks are doing to translate the game. I'm sorry that my instructions and tool weren't clear enough to avoid these problems. I'm concerned about the results. If I can find so many broken pages randomly clicking around in text I can't read, I'm pretty worried about what will happen when people try to actually play the translated game. I'm going to spend some time thinking about various validation techniques I can add to AC.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby kexter » Thu, 16Mar03 12:41

tlaero wrote:I'm going to do something that blocks you from saving files in LocTool if you remove the [[ ]] text.
I'd just like to point out that there could be scenarios where removing the [[ ]] text would be valid. Let's imagine a scenario where the player would be stuck in an elevator with someone. That someone would be a either his (male) assistant or the (female) receptionist. Say the original English text goes like this:
Code: Select all
"Great, the elevator stopped," you think to yourself. "Now I'm stuck with [[liftPersonName()]]. And to add to it, [[listPersonGender()]] is starting to freak out."
If someone were to translate the above bit to a gender neutral language or a language which lacks grammatical gender completely, the second [[ ]]-text becomes completely unnecessary.
@kextercius
kexter

Postby nale » Thu, 16Mar03 22:49

tlaero wrote:2) I'm going to do something that blocks you from saving files in LocTool if you remove the [[ ]] text.

I would be really careful about blocking someone from saving something. It could be frustrating if it is not highlighted enough what exactly is wrong and you now don't have much time but you cant save. And in my opinion one can always overlook even the brightest notifications. On the other Hand i wouldn't want to risk making a bug there, that would brick the Saving function.
nale
sirens hunter

Postby Marco6661 » Thu, 16Mar03 22:50

@ Tlaero:

I would like to ask something about AdventureCreator.
_ When people use LocTool for translate in another language, can you change the color for htm not translated (Normal color = translated, grey or other = not translated).
_Can you find a solution for follow htm one by one. When you start for exemple: sapart0.htm, after wrote text, save, you open on AC > file > open > find directly sapart1.htm ... etc ...

Thank you. [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]
Marco6661
star of the reef

Postby tlaero » Fri, 16Mar04 02:50

Marco, if you open GameView, you can go from page to page by clicking on the bolded page names.

Nale, what I'll do is let you save it, but flag it as needing translation if you remove the [[]]. That way I'll be able to see which files are broken. In the rare case that Kexter is talking about (good point, Kexter!) we'll discuss it and decide that it's okay to need localization on that page, etc.

I guess the most important thing, though, is if the game or tool isn't acting the way you think it should, ask here before changing stuff. If the [[]] doesn't make sense, don't delete it and type something else, ask about how it works. If you can't understand why you translated everything, but _size.htm is still saying your screen is "small" instead of "pequeno" ask here what's going on. Etc.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby tlaero » Sat, 16Mar05 22:52

I've uploaded AC 7.5 to help with these Localization issues.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3678&p=95532#p95532

If you've inadvertently deleted [[Functions()]] this version will help you find them. And if you've accidentally changed hit targets, this version will try to fix them for you. I used it to clean up some issues on John's version and it seemed to work well. Please everyone switch to using 7.5. If you have any issues or questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby NudeRaider » Wed, 16Mar30 06:59

Nalogan wrote:@nale: It would be great when you proofread the tranlation.........das was ich bisher übersetzt habe ist noch die grobfassung, also ist noch nicht überarbeitet. In den letzten paar tagen ist die übersetztung leider ins stocken geraten, daher bin ich nicht soweit wie ich es gern wäre....

Greetings Nalogan

Hi I joined this forum to offer a German translation of RfJ, but I'm glad to see someone already on it. If I read you correctly you already translated the whole thing but just with a basic draft that needs refinement? Or are there also slides completely untranslated so far? In the latter case you could tell me a number of slides that I could do. In the former case I'd also offer proofreading.

@Nale & Nalogan Should I proofread Nale's proofread or share the workload with Nale? I'd be open either way. In the former case Nale could send me his work, in the latter Nalogan could split the remaining slides between the two of us.
Either way, can you Nalogan, send me a version of your progress so far?

So excuse me for barging in like that. I mean no offense, I'm just anxious to help. [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img] I hope for a good cooperation.

About the specific questions: (my 5 cents)
I'd translate 'Redemption' for Jessika with 'Erlösung' für Jessika. Makes the most sense because she's suffering.
I agree with Nale on 'lewd' too: It's best translated with 'lüstern' in the context.
Translating 'achievements' with 'Errungenschaften' is correct, but I prefer 'Erfolge' because it's simpler and says exactly the same, just less dramatic.

@Tlaero I've already started to meddle with how things work with AC and by default when I open the Start.htm in the root game folder it automatically opens the files from the english subfolder and changes them. No biggie, I could just copy these over to a german folder and restore the english version afterwards. But it would be nice if there were a way to tell AC to use the game files from a custom folder (e.g. german) instead of the default english one.
Because the other thing I've tried to open the _begin.htm in a german subfolder (just a copy of english) doesn't work, supposedly because the .js files from the files folder are missing.
Any ideas on that front, Tlaero?

Not sure if anyone took care of the "_gametext.js", because it's not in the game view of AC, so here it is:
Code: Select all
var gtSave = "Speichern";
var gtRestore = "Laden";
var gtMenu = "Menü";
var gtRestart = "Neustart";

var gtEarned = "Du hast ";
var gtOutOf = " / ";
var gtAchievements = " Erfolge.";

var gtLewd = "Du bist lüstern mit einer Punktzahl von ";
var gtYoure = "Du bist ";
var gtScore = " mit einer Punktzahl von ";

var gtSmall = "Klein";
var gtMedium = "Mittel";
var gtLarge = "Groß";

var gtOneD = "1-Dimensional";
var gtLinear = "Linear";
var gtPlanar = "Planar";
var gtSquare = "Quadratisch";
var gtComplex = "Komplex";
var gtRoundish = "Rundlich";
var gtWellRounded = "Vielseitig";
NudeRaider
Pilot fish

Postby tlaero » Thu, 16Mar31 04:32

NudeRaider, thank you for your offer of assistance. I'm not sure where the German translation is at the moment. I haven't heard from Nalogan in a while.

You should open AC with start.htm, then do "Show Loc Tool" and then do "Show Game View." If you're using the most recent version of AC, then with the Loc Tool open you won't be able to change the English text. (At least, it won't let you save any changes you make).

The Loc Tool has an option to add a language. If you do that and add German, it'll create the folder and copy the files you need over for you. You shouldn't need to copy files around yourself.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby NudeRaider » Thu, 16Mar31 20:47

tlaero wrote:You should open AC with start.htm, then do "Show Loc Tool" and then do "Show Game View." If you're using the most recent version of AC, then with the Loc Tool open you won't be able to change the English text. (At least, it won't let you save any changes you make).

The Loc Tool has an option to add a language. If you do that and add German, it'll create the folder and copy the files you need over for you. You shouldn't need to copy files around yourself.

Tlaero

Ah thx got it to work as intended now. But for some reason AC really likes to crash now. Mostly when I open or update the game view with the loc tool open. Doesn't always, so I might find a workflow to avoid it.
However the UI gets really inconvenient and redundant with the loc tool. Covering the main window with it blocks the picture which sets the mood for the slide and thus carries relevance to the translation. Moving the loc just below the main window pic fixes this, but still feels clunky.
Also game view now outputs warnings below most of the slides (red text): Broken Links: Area Moved
Am I correct in assuming that it can be safely ignored and happens just because AC can't handle the .js call in conjunction with the '#' link target?

Anyways, I might just not use the loc tool and overwrite the english version and copy over the overwritten english htms to a properly localized version in the german folder. Saves me all the quirks and just forces me to copy over a few files when I want to update my progress.

tlaero wrote:NudeRaider, thank you for your offer of assistance. I'm not sure where the German translation is at the moment. I haven't heard from Nalogan in a while.

Too bad, since I feel comfortable with the tool and ready for actual work now. How long is "in a while"? I wouldn't want my efforts be futile when it's likely he'll return next week.

Not sure how the other translators handled it, but I find the meanings (and possibly allusions) of the achievements quite uncertain. Care to give some background on those, so we can find an equivalent in the proper context? The one's I'm unsure about are:

round and round - obviously meaning a well rounded character, but there seems more to it.
Has Anybody Seen My Baby? - really just asking if you got to see her nude?
My Little Red Book. - Why red book? Supposed to be a journal?
Jessie's Girl. - ?? She's Gary's girl, so what's up with that?
I Get Off. - Like he's wildly boasting now?
NudeRaider
Pilot fish

Postby Marco6661 » Thu, 16Mar31 20:57

NudeRaider wrote:
round and round - obviously meaning a well rounded character, but there seems more to it.

Bonjour,

I can't help you to translate in German, but I can give you some hints about these questions:
Ok for round and round, I think it's something like well rounded.

For the others, they are all songs titles, no need to translate that, I think it's better to let them like that, in original name... ;)
(Has Anybody Seen My Baby? Rolling Stones... [img]images/icones/icon17.gif[/img] )

Marco.
Last edited by Marco6661 on Fri, 16Apr01 13:12, edited 1 time in total.
Marco6661
star of the reef

Postby Skelaturi » Thu, 16Mar31 21:03

Marco6661 wrote:
NudeRaider wrote:

Bonjour,

I can't help you to translate in German, but I can give you some hints about these questions:

For the others, they are all sings tittles, no need to translate that, I think it's better to let them like that, in original name... ;)
(Has Anybody Seen My Baby? Rolling Stones... [img]images/icones/icon17.gif[/img] )

Marco.

Round and around could also be referring to Around and Around, by the Rolling Stones.There are many Artists with a song called Round and Round including a couple of Dutch ones, doubt they are the ones refereed.
Doggy style (noun)
A sexual position which allows both participants to watch TV.
---
My weakness a deviant Redhead: http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8&start=4425#p97335

--
Seen anything wrong, a typo, to ask, anything else? PM me.
Skelaturi

Postby Marco6661 » Thu, 16Mar31 21:12

Skelaturi wrote:
Marco6661 wrote:
NudeRaider wrote:

Bonjour,

For the others, they are all sings tittles, no need to translate that, I think it's better to let them like that, in original name... ;)

Marco.

Round and around could also be referring to Around and Around, by the Rolling Stones.There are many Artists with a song called Round and Round including a couple of Dutch ones, doubt they are the ones refereed.

It's true, but in this case, round and round is an indication about the player, when you play the game.
For the others, they are just the name of each achievement... ;)
Marco6661
star of the reef

Postby Skelaturi » Thu, 16Mar31 21:49

I disagree,
round and round references towards balanced play through,
I get off, It's a joke
little red book, you get it where you retrieve a book
My baby: Nude? Lights go out, can't find her
Jessie's girl: Cynthia is Jessika's biggest fan

And the rest of the achievements both are song references and actually stuff to do with the game
Doggy style (noun)
A sexual position which allows both participants to watch TV.
---
My weakness a deviant Redhead: http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8&start=4425#p97335

--
Seen anything wrong, a typo, to ask, anything else? PM me.
Skelaturi

Postby tlaero » Fri, 16Apr01 01:45

You should open LocTool once and GameView once. Opening GameView takes a long time because there are 3000 files for it to open and parse. So you want to minimize the number of times you do that. The point of the Loc Tool is that it makes you only update the things that need to be localized. If GameView is telling you that you've got Areas moved, then you're changing the English pages. You should never do that. You should only change the German text. In the end, I'm only going to use the translation if the files are identical to the English pages other than the text strings being different. The way to do THAT is to use GameView to open pages and LocView to change the text. Any change made in the main window is incorrect. You certainly shouldn't ignore the "Area Moved" errors, because I won't be able to use the translation if there are any of them.

I sent Nalogan a PM on March 3rd, and he hasn't read it yet. So he hasn't been on since at least then.

As for the achievement names, every one of them is a song title. Marco and John in the French and Italian versions decided it was appropriate to not translate them. I suspect that's true for German too.

Tlaero
tlaero

PreviousNext

Return to Projects