My never ending project

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

My never ending project

Postby Taylor Strutt » Wed, 16Jan20 22:50

I have come to the realization that I am not a game maker. I have been working on an idea for years making renders and scripting scenes but am nowhere even close to what could become a game. Some of it is I was overly ambitious and started creating something way above my abilities (and honestly bigger than any game of this type I have played). That said, rather than just scrap what I do have I want to share it with the community so hopefully people get some enjoyment out of it.

The game was to be a variation on a dating game, taking place mostly at your work at a modeling agency. Again I was too ambitious and wanted to create a game that was more than a simple meet and fuck game. Something where the characters were better thought out and multidimensional (with plenty of sex scenes as well). The game was to have three basic goals. One- improve your relationship with your girlfriend and the other characters in the game. Two- do your job. And three- solve a mystery. Doing these things opened more options and scenes. Again I just went overboard because I ended up with too many characters, to many storylines, and too many ideas and feel reigning it in would mean cutting so much the game wasn't worth pursuing.

What I am uploading now are the pictures that were to be made into the introduction portion of the game. There are three different parts- the character introductions, a gallery of pictures for each character to help people get acquainted/enjoy the characters, and a quiz that was to be used to boost stats.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wbntj ... regame.zip
*updated 1/21/16 with Kexter's addition

Like I say I have many more parts started that I may share in time. I just wanted to put this part out there first to see what people think of the concept.

I'd love input.

What character/s is your favorite and why?
Which character needs improvement?
General thoughts on the game renders.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Taylor Strutt on Thu, 16Jan21 23:38, edited 3 times in total.
Taylor Strutt
great white shark

sex: Masculine

Re: My never ending project

Postby flinter5215 » Wed, 16Jan20 22:57

Just love all the girls.
Seems a crying shame for all those pictures to go to waste.
The talent swimming in these waters is mind blowing.
flinter5215
great white shark

Postby Skelaturi » Wed, 16Jan20 23:30

flinter5215 wrote:Just love all the girls.
Seems a crying shame for all those pictures to go to waste.
The talent swimming in these waters is mind blowing.

+1. But i think Taylor was right. A little bit over ambitious, then again better to have ambition then none at all.

If you decide to continue the game:
- consider dropping maybe the "mystery"
- dropping some girls (yes not my favorite either)
- Consider to remove girls out of the intro and have them unlocked in game.
- find a programmer to help. Your still in for pictures and story. But that way you have a extra set of hands.
- consider changing towards a different engine, that has less coding. easier to handle. Well if someone can confirm that makes sense.

If you decide to drop the game.
- remove all game references from the pictures, that way you you have a nice portfolio for the future if you want to work together with a creator on his her/project or some clean pics the "sexy girls" topic on the "beach" here on the lagoon.

PS. For Hannah i feel like i seen her or someone similar before.
Last edited by Skelaturi on Thu, 16Jan21 00:41, edited 1 time in total.
Doggy style (noun)
A sexual position which allows both participants to watch TV.
---
My weakness a deviant Redhead: http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8&start=4425#p97335

--
Seen anything wrong, a typo, to ask, anything else? PM me.
Skelaturi

Postby Taylor Strutt » Thu, 16Jan21 00:40

Skelaturi wrote:If you decide to continue the game:
- consider dropping maybe the "mystery"
- dropping some girls (yes not my favorite either)
- Consider to remove girls out of the intro and have them unlocked in game.
- find a programmer to help. Your still in for pictures and story. But that way you have a extra set of hands.

Skelaturi, completely understand where you are coming from with your tips and had already considered most of them.

+ Dropping the mystery was the first option I looked at doing to shorten the game and the one I would do first. That said, It would help but not solve my problem.
+ I struggle cutting people because most of them already have scenes. Plus it's hard figuring out who should be cut. Just know many characters have important details not put into their introductions.
+ I liked presenting the girls in the intro since the game world is one which the pc has been a part of prior to the start. Also note that (at least in my mind) it could be skipped at any time especially if someone had played before.
+ Finding a programmer would be a must if I ever decide to actually make a game because I know that is not my skill set and part of the reason things got out of hand. At this point though too much is still missing to hand it off.

Glad you like Hannah. She is one of the character morphs I built myself.
Taylor Strutt
great white shark

Postby Super » Thu, 16Jan21 00:41

I haven't taken a look at the stuff yet but it sounds like you may need to consider buddying up with another developer

That or just massively lower your ambitions, especially for a first game. Wolf is crazy for trying that with BeW, but hey even he had to get help eventually.

I'd recommend focusing on one or two girls, you could also have a mystery of plot so it's not like a regular dating game, but then just focusing on a short game game first of all. GDS just recently released a rather tiny but feature complete game for example and now he can set his sights to bigger things. Or if you need help, getting a collab partner might be good too. Just would hate if your work went to nothing
Super
legend of the South Seas

Postby Skelaturi » Thu, 16Jan21 00:47

Taylor Strutt wrote:
Skelaturi wrote:
Glad you like Hannah. She is one of the character morphs I built myself.

You misunderstood me, i said i felt like i seen someone like her already somewhere, but can't put my finger on it where. Moment i know i do a comparison. For the girls I am a redhead kind of guy and you got plenty +rep.

Also edited my post above with 1 more tip. Change engine, maybe something that is less code heavy If that makes sense. As i got no clue as i never created something. I was thinking in the line of text adventure creators like "adrift", you can have pictures, adventure creators are mostly driven for story. But no idea if its easier to handle then what your currently doing. Or if its worth it as i have no idea either how far you are on progress with your game.

edit: found who Hannah reminded me of, there are differences, probably others are going "what are you talking about Skelaturi, you are so wrong" but she reminded me of Kaori in Mortze's Pandora
Doggy style (noun)
---
My weakness a deviant Redhead: http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8&start=4425#p97335

--
Skelaturi

Postby Taylor Strutt » Thu, 16Jan21 01:55

Please understand I completely get where people are coming from with shrinking the game and agree that I should. Thank you all for the advice and encouragement!

Instead of trying to fix my problem though, realize I am sharing this in it's current stage because I know my vision for THIS project is beyond fixing. Part of the trouble is I didn't make it clear what I am doing. I didn't want to put too many details on here too early as far as how I saw the game working or what parts are done or not. I have over 30 scenes in different levels of completion. Changing gears means scrapping most of them (for now at least) and starting over. Which is what I am doing.

That has been a hard pill to swallow, but I know I need to if i ever want to have a completed game. What i am doing here is sharing my failed project so people can enjoy what I did get done. Because what i was trying to do will never be done. It was too big, too bold, and way beyond my (and probably most other peoples) abilities to complete.

There is no fixing this game in its current form, there is just enjoying what i did get done and moving on.
Taylor Strutt
great white shark

Postby Super » Thu, 16Jan21 02:05

Fair enough. Just remember that, if you need help of any kind, please ask for it I would hate for a developer to be discouraged again from making anything.
Super
legend of the South Seas

Postby kexter » Thu, 16Jan21 16:34

Thanks Taylor Strutt, for sharing the images. I had a bit of fun playing around with them, hope you don't mind. I was curious to see how this intro sequence might have looked in action so I hacked together a quick-and-dirty implementation. If anybody else is interested, here's a zip containing a single "index.html" file you should drop next to Taylor Strutt's images (which should be extracted first; the images and this html file should be in the same folder): https://www.mediafire.com/?iiy1kuzig3t4zc5
@kextercius
kexter

Postby Taylor Strutt » Thu, 16Jan21 17:43

Kexter, I am glad you enjoyed playing with what I got done. That was a big part of why I decided to start sharing.

What you did is great! I love seeing the game fleshed out better and working. If found a couple of mistakes I made and thought I fixed, but such is life.

Tell you what. See what you can do with this.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/scju6 ... and_me.zip

This was to be a section from the middle of the game, most of the parts are there but it is something I was still working on things. The basic run down is this-

You wake up and start playing with Taylor. The phone rings and you learn Daphne has landed a big contract. You and Taylor decided to surprise Daphne with the announcement. Taylor suggests getting Faye involved with the surprise would be helpful. You talk with Faye and she likes the idea. She tells you to go to Daphne’s photo shoot and find an interest Daphne has. Also, she will meet you and Taylor at your apartment during lunch for a plan. You talk with Daphne and learn about a band she enjoys. Taylor, Faye, and you meet and hash out a plan to trick Daphne. You give Daphne fake tickets to a concert and suggest she finds some other people to join her. Faye is wearing the band’s shirt so Daphne asks her. Faye suggests to Daphne they ask Taylor to go as well. The three of them head out to go the “concert.” You meet them there and surprise Daphne with the news she is the new cosmetics girl. Taylor is feeling randy and wants to have sex with you in front of Faye, who she noticed has been flirting with you. You try to convince Faye. Daphne one ups this idea by saying she wants to have sex with Faye while you two have sex. From there sexy time.
Last edited by Taylor Strutt on Thu, 16Jan21 18:39, edited 2 times in total.
Taylor Strutt
great white shark

Postby Taylor Strutt » Thu, 16Jan21 18:25

Being a bit of a perfectionist I corrected a couple small mistakes (the biggest of which was one of the quiz questions had the right name but wrong picture, which could have confused people). I hope Kexter doesn't mind but I went ahead and added his work to the zip as well so it is all contained in one file. I went ahead and updated the link in the original post. Thank you again Kexter for what you did.
Taylor Strutt
great white shark

Postby kexter » Thu, 16Jan21 20:59

Taylor Strutt wrote:Tell you what. See what you can do with this.
Any text or relevant design docs? Or do I have free reign over it? :)
@kextercius
kexter

Postby Taylor Strutt » Thu, 16Jan21 21:15

All other parts are only in my head at this point, so go crazy and have fun!
Taylor Strutt
great white shark

Postby Skelaturi » Thu, 16Jan21 21:21

Taylor Strutt wrote:All other parts are only in my head at this point, so go crazy and have fun!

Write it all down i would say, put the project on hold and do something smaller simpler. And when you get the experience you can get back to it if so desired.
Doggy style (noun)
---

--
Skelaturi

Postby Taylor Strutt » Thu, 16Jan21 21:45

Skelaturi wrote:Taylor Strutt wrote:All other parts are only in my head at this point, so go crazy and have fun!Write it all down i would say, put the project on hold and do something smaller simpler. And when you get the experience you can get back to it if so desired.

I think you read what I posted out of context. That is my fault for not quoting kexter in my post. I shared a second set of pictures that were part of a scene in the middle of the game and was interested in what he could make with with them. He asked-

Any text or relevant design docs? Or do I have free reign over it? :)

My answer to THAT question is- All other parts are in my head.

I want to see what others can do with those picture. Heck there could be lots of people in the community who have the skills to build games, but can't/don't want to make renders.
Taylor Strutt
great white shark

Next

Return to Projects