Need opinions on my Game Renders

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

Re: Need opinions on my Game Renders

Postby Mortze » Mon, 16Jan04 16:25

sylakone2 wrote:One way to speed up your renders is to do like I have done with Model Friends.
I render the scene without the characters and high quality.
It takes quite a while but I can use that one render for multiple scenes.
Then I render just the character with different expressions and poses with similar lighting and save it as a png.
These renders are very fast due to minimal geometry.
I use Photoshop or the free alternative Gimp to superimpose the characters onto the rendered jpg of the scene.
This is fast and efficient way but is really only good for conversations.
For events I do full renders with the characters they do take a while but I think it's worth it.
I often work on the coding side of the game making process while an image is rendering so I can still work on it without losing the time it takes to render.

Or you can use a technique similar but even faster that I used in Dreaming with Elsa:
- You pose everything, character, lights, camera.
- You lock your camera so it won't move
- You hide your character and clothes.
- You render the scene background.
- You hide everything but the character and clothes, and lighting, so your character is on a blank background
- You use your rendered background as Background for every pose of your character.
The downside is that you have to keep the same camera angle and lighting but it's faster to render because you'll only render the character and nothing else. Good for those dialogues shots and animations.
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

sex: Masculine

Postby GDS » Mon, 16Jan04 16:51

xviii wrote:Could you try a different rendering engine? I've never used Daz, but I have dabbled in other 3D programs, still my knowledge is limited so if I'm wrong here feel free to let me know.

Octane Render; I dont think My pc is strong enough to run anything aside from 3Ddelight, But I will download the demo and try it,
The page says that it uses GPU and CPU, so maybe...

sylakone2 wrote:
One way to speed up your renders is to do like I have done with Model Friends.
I render the scene without the characters and high quality.
It takes quite a while but I can use that one render for multiple scenes.
Then I render just the character with different expressions and poses with similar lighting and save it as a png.
These renders are very fast due to minimal geometry.
I use Photoshop or the free alternative Gimp to superimpose the characters onto the rendered jpg of the scene.
This is fast and efficient way but is really only good for conversations.
For events I do full renders with the characters they do take a while but I think it's worth it.
I often work on the coding side of the game making process while an image is rendering so I can still work on it without losing the time it takes to render.

I hope this can help speed things up for you.

Like the other artists of Sharks I am also glad to help where I can.

This is a good idea and I have tried, the problem with it is that it wont have shadows:
For example I render a table alone; it have no shadow on it,
then,
I render someone to put on to of it and merge on Photoshop,
there wont be any shadows on the table. =/
[*]Suddenly a Party!:http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3965
[*]Matt and the Bus stop Girl:http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3666
GDS
lagoon predator

Postby TheBrain » Wed, 16Jan06 01:44

If you can work with the rendering time, I would definitely opt for one of the physically based renderers, because it makes your life a lot easier. You just place lights in realistic places and it'll give decent results (don't overdo the amount of lights though).

That said, there's a lot you can do with the default renderer, but it'll come down to trickery: playing with a lot of settings and different lights to create something that appears realistic.
It's been aaages since I played around with this kind of stuff, so I can't remember everything I tried, but one of the tricks I found that works magic is creating an ambient light. I used the shader builder in Daz to do this, but in principle you can also modify the ambient component in all of your materials. The effect is that everything will have a constant amount of light added to it, regardless of where it is in relation to the lights. This dampens all the hard shading you see, especially in image #1 (for example, compare her back with image #2, it has lots of dark areas in #1 and none in #2).

An example, first image was 100% directional light, the 2nd image was 70% directional and 30% ambient light:
TheBrain
star of the reef

Postby xviii » Wed, 16Jan06 04:16

Wow, ambient light makes a huge difference with the default render there. That seems to be the problem with most rendered scenes for AIF that I've noticed, the shadowing is too strong and unrealistic looking, but usually without the shadows being this way everything looks too flat and cartoonish. While only one example, what TheBrain has posted above looks brilliant for using the default Daz render. Nice work!
xviii
great white shark

Postby GDS » Wed, 16Jan06 12:19

TheBrain wrote:If you can work with the rendering time, I would definitely opt for one of the physically based renderers, because it makes your life a lot easier. You just place lights in realistic places and it'll give decent results (don't overdo the amount of lights though).

That said, there's a lot you can do with the default renderer, but it'll come down to trickery: playing with a lot of settings and different lights to create something that appears realistic.
It's been aaages since I played around with this kind of stuff, so I can't remember everything I tried, but one of the tricks I found that works magic is creating an ambient light. I used the shader builder in Daz to do this, but in principle you can also modify the ambient component in all of your materials. The effect is that everything will have a constant amount of light added to it, regardless of where it is in relation to the lights. This dampens all the hard shading you see, especially in image #1 (for example, compare her back with image #2, it has lots of dark areas in #1 and none in #2).

An example, first image was 100% directional light, the 2nd image was 70% directional and 30% ambient light:

TheBrain wrote:If you can work with the rendering time, I would definitely opt for one of the physically based renderers, because it makes your life a lot easier. You just place lights in realistic places and it'll give decent results (don't overdo the amount of lights though).

Unfortunately I cannot use those hi end Render it Requires almost a pixel collier to give a decent render time. =/
TheBrain wrote:That said, there's a lot you can do with the default renderer,

I think I got the nick of it:
Default render method 30m due to the reflection

The actual image without the over render background 1m30s to render(Will do like this for my first game)

xviii wrote:Wow, ambient light makes a huge difference with the default render there. That seems to be the problem with most rendered scenes for AIF that I've noticed, the shadowing is too strong and unrealistic looking, but usually without the shadows being this way everything looks too flat and cartoonish. While only one example, what TheBrain has posted above looks brilliant for using the default Daz render. Nice work!

It sure does,
I think I am learning how to make Shadows a little more realist, I almost mastered on a outdoor scene,
but still having trouble on inside shots.
[*]Matt and the Bus stop Girl:http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3666
GDS
lagoon predator

Postby Mortze » Wed, 16Jan06 15:33

Great improvment there. I like it!
Reflections are a pain in the ass. That and transparency (like light passing through a glass) or lots of hair do make rendering time unbearable.
You got to make some dificult choices for your games. For scens with lots of dialogues with the character try to avoid reflections. But for a scene where you set the setting, like "You see the girl sitting at the bus stop" please use reflections. It takes 30 min to render but it will make your game more beautifull.
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby TheBrain » Wed, 16Jan06 19:24

Definitely a big improvement! Glad to be of some help :).

One small comment on your new picture, I'd try to reduce the specularity of the hair a bit, it seems a little unnaturally shiny to me ;).

There's a also trick you can use for reflections in a plane, though I wonder if it's worth the effort compared to half an hour of rendering time :P. If you mirror your scene in the plane and render it again with only the reflected objects enabled, you essentially get a rendering of the reflection, which you can then blend on the reflective surface using photoshop :).
Last edited by TheBrain on Wed, 16Jan06 19:56, edited 1 time in total.
TheBrain
star of the reef

Postby Mortze » Wed, 16Jan06 19:53

TheBrain wrote:There's a also trick you can use for reflections in a plane, though I wonder if it's worth the effort compared to half an hour of rendering time :P. If you mirror your scene in the plane and render it again with only the reflected objects enabled, you essentially get a rendering of the reflection, which you can then blend on the reflective surface using photoshop .

You have two options here:
1/ render it in 30 mins and go lay chill out a bit;
2/ try and learn from what TheBrain said. Even if it takes way more that 30 mins. Might be usefull in gazillion other situations.
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby GDS » Wed, 16Jan06 20:14

TheBrain wrote:Definitely a big improvement! Glad to be of some help :).

One small comment on your new picture, I'd try to reduce the specularity of the hair a bit, it seems a little unnaturally shiny to me ;).

There's a also trick you can use for reflections in a plane, though I wonder if it's worth the effort compared to half an hour of rendering time :P. If you mirror your scene in the plane and render it again with only the reflected objects enabled, you essentially get a rendering of the reflection, which you can then blend on the reflective surface using photoshop :).

That seems like A great idea, I wish I'd thought about that before I finished rendering all scenes on the bus stop earlier =/
So I end up rendering like this:
And already put it inside the game.

And to reduce the shine? It does looks a little plastic, but I was having a little trouble to find a sweet spot to lower it so I gave up and rendered like this,

And in other note: the guy's hair looks fabulous...
GDS
lagoon predator

Postby TheBrain » Wed, 16Jan06 20:43

GDS wrote:And to reduce the shine? It does looks a little plastic, but I was having a little trouble to find a sweet spot to lower it so I gave up and rendered like this,

It's not too big of a deal, it was just a suggestion. You could also try the burn tool in photoshop to darken the highlights a bit.
TheBrain
star of the reef

Postby GDS » Fri, 16Jan08 17:55

TheBrain wrote:
GDS wrote:And to reduce the shine? It does looks a little plastic, but I was having a little trouble to find a sweet spot to lower it so I gave up and rendered like this,

It's not too big of a deal, it was just a suggestion. You could also try the burn tool in photoshop to darken the highlights a bit.

I think I made a less shine everything without looking too dark, I had to lower the surface reflection on every item that was to shiny and kind of worked without the need for PhotoShop:

in other notes I already finish roughly half of the scenes for a small game,
put the scenes on the game and its kind of working great,

but now for the real trouble:
I am staring on the sex scene but putting CUM on the faces is way too hard, and every tutorial on the internet is trolling saying for you to cum on the monitor and take a picture,
and some others say to use photoshop em every image, so 50m for every picture is too much.

Does anyone know a easy good way to do it?
GDS
lagoon predator

Postby Mortze » Fri, 16Jan08 18:09

GDS wrote:I am staring on the sex scene but putting CUM on the faces is way too hard, and every tutorial on the internet is trolling saying for you to cum on the monitor and take a picture,
and some others say to use photoshop em every image, so 50m for every picture is too much.

Troling or not it is a way of doing it, use the picture you take and photoshop it into the picture of the game. The ideai behind it is to have a picture with cum. On the monitor is troling of course.
But I think there is a better way (and safer for your monitor). But it requires photoshop.
I haven't found any 3d content that simulates well enough, and with good morphs, cum. There is LoadZ but I only use it for cum jets.
For cum on face, chest, etc I have to photoshop it into the picture. It doesn't take 50 minutes.
You just have to find good cum pictures on the internet and copy paste and work it in your game pictures.
Tell us if you need help with the photoshop part.
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby GDS » Sat, 16Jan09 00:18

Mortze wrote:
GDS wrote:I am staring on the sex scene but putting CUM on the faces is way too hard, and every tutorial on the internet is trolling saying for you to cum on the monitor and take a picture,

Troling or not it is a way of doing it, use the picture you take and photoshop it into the picture of the game. The ideai behind it is to have a picture with cum. On the monitor is troling of course.
But I think there is a better way (and safer for your monitor). But it requires photoshop.
I haven't found any 3d content that simulates well enough, and with good morphs, cum. There is LoadZ but I only use it for cum jets.
For cum on face, chest, etc I have to photoshop it into the picture. It doesn't take 50 minutes.
You just have to find good cum pictures on the internet and copy paste and work it in your game pictures.
Tell us if you need help with the photoshop part.

I think I made some progress:
And I dont think I can get better than this.(i am not that good with this)
Thanks for the tips dude it wasnt as hard as I thought(and yes my monitor still good)

Now if anyone could give their opinions? because I will finish my small game with this kind of cumshot.

P.S. And now I understand why people make a lot of cum inside scenes. Wayyyyy easier
GDS
lagoon predator

Postby LRM » Sat, 16Jan09 02:09

It looks good to me... on more than one level ;) .
Got Wood?
LRM

Postby Mortze » Sat, 16Jan09 02:35

Not bad at all!
You even use some shadowing on the cum. Good detail.
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

PreviousNext

Return to Projects