Sexy animation: feedback appreciated

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

Sexy animation: feedback appreciated

Postby jilliangates77 » Wed, 15Jun03 17:12

I've been learning Daz3d for a while now, in an attempt to make (eventually) my own visual novel adaptation of my stories...or close versions thereof.

However, like any artist, I'm always a bit insecure about my abilities so wanted to get feedback on an animation I did. The goal (it's a sex animation obviously) is to have a given number of these as the climax of the visual novel. I like images, but after browsing a lot, animation is where it's at. The more, the better...of course, I need to learn a ton, but, I like the effect and think this is a decent place to be...but, not sure. Would you appreciate this kind of image as a finale in a visual novel?

Any tips to make it better? I did a gif, with ~5 frames in a loop, using images 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2 as the range, with ~250 milliseconds delay. http://postimg.org/image/e3ufbhgsr/

Thank you for any & all feedback.
jilliangates77
great white shark

sex: Female

Re: Sexy animation: feedback appreciated

Postby Cosmic74 » Wed, 15Jun03 17:17

jilliangates77 wrote:I've been learning Daz3d for a while now, in an attempt to make (eventually) my own visual novel adaptation of my stories...or close versions thereof.

However, like any artist, I'm always a bit insecure about my abilities so wanted to get feedback on an animation I did. The goal (it's a sex animation obviously) is to have a given number of these as the climax of the visual novel. I like images, but after browsing a lot, animation is where it's at. The more, the better...of course, I need to learn a ton, but, I like the effect and think this is a decent place to be...but, not sure. Would you appreciate this kind of image as a finale in a visual novel?

Any tips to make it better? I did a gif, with ~5 frames in a loop, using images 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2 as the range, with ~250 milliseconds delay. http://postimg.org/image/e3ufbhgsr/

Thank you for any & all feedback.

It looks great. an imrovement could be if you adjust his upper body, arms and hands, so that his hands all the time on her butt. Think that looks more natural.
Cosmic74
great white shark

sex: Masculine

Postby fleet » Wed, 15Jun03 17:49

I include animation in my adult visual novels, and I think they are a great idea. In addition to the recommendations by cosmic74, I suggest you include some animation on the woman, such as breasts swaying, inhaling and exhaling, mouth opening and closing. Also, on the man, his shins should not be moving.
Check out my latest adult visual novel "After She Left"
at http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4363
I moderate at http://undertow.club
fleet
Great Master of corals

Postby jilliangates77 » Wed, 15Jun03 18:34

Thanks; I've been manually adjusting positions in Daz3d but that seems "Wrong," to me to get things looking right...so, all of them have been turning out this way, essentially.

I think I need to read some tutorials again - essentially with manually reposing, too much goes wrong each time to get things to look polished.
jilliangates77
great white shark

Postby LRM » Thu, 15Jun04 01:34

I have idea how difficult it might be but... IMO his hips should move. His shoulders and ankles should not. The interconnecting parts should also move but lesser distance as you progress toward the top and bottom of the animation. Fleet is also correct, there should be some motion of the woman too.
Lou
Got Wood?
LRM

Postby redle » Thu, 15Jun04 03:01

There isn't any, one correct way.

If you have ever played any of Pusooy's games, many of his animations are done with partial images. For instance, he'll render the image of a left arm, one of a right arm, and one of the chest. His animations are then made by displaying those same body part images in slightly rotated and varied positions relative to each other.

Other people use the still-frame full photos that combine to make an animation.

There are also hybrids of the two. For instance you could completely still-frame the man's actions. Then do the same with the woman's. Then fuse them together in the final product.

I'm curious if you are using the DAZ timeline functionality currently. Using it, it will auto-generate intermediate positions (Meaning if a man's arm is straight down in the first frame, then in the 10th frame you set is at 90 degrees straight forward, the timeline will show him slowly raising his arm a bit more in every frame, without you needing to edit each frame manually). I will warn that the timeline can create some very, very unexpected results at times. Sometimes I certainly debate whether it is helping the process in the slightest or destroying it. Still, at times it's helpful.

As to the actual animation offered, it's certainly not how 2 real people would move. It's not static, and certainly gets the point across, so it has its merits. In real life, everything is always in motion, pivoting and shifting, all in different directions (actually, which things should not move is as important as which things should). It's far too complicated to be worth accurately reproducing.

One trick is to space out the movement that you do add. Choose 3 or so different areas within the image where variation is going to occur (the hips, the man's face, the woman's face). The specific choices can matter some (people are naturally curious and observant of other people's faces for example), but more so is that they are spread out. As a viewers eyes take in the final animation, and move about the image, you don't want large stagnant areas that should be moving. When their eyes pass over the right side of the image, something is moving over there and draws in the eyes. When they are on the left, their eyes are drawn to something else. The key thought here is, wherever they look, there is something close enough to their vantage point to draw the eyes to it, so they don't really notice the other parts nearby that aren't moving.

Another trick... change the camera angle and zoom for your animations. In your existing image you have the entire body of both the man and the woman. Those are a lot of body parts to correctly position and manipulate to make it look realistic. The less that makes it into the picture, the easier it is to make it more believable.

About 1 minute spent grabbing your image, cropping it to show less, then cutting out the right half so that the guy's arm didn't move any longer.
http://postimg.org/image/n6ta9zbmv/

I realize this doesn't show everything you had in the original. But in a game if this was the animation, then clicking it to advance showed either a zoom of the woman's face as you have it now (appearing to orgasm), or even the zoomed out still-frame of the whole image as you have now... you gain an easier to produce animation, and it still tells the same tale.
redle
star of the reef

Postby Niauropsaka » Thu, 15Jun04 04:41

I've been working on something similar lately.

Here's what I've been trying to do. It's time-consuming:

Make a second "reference" copy of your figure whose hips are going to be moving. Make it partially transparent, colour it a little differently, and most important, make it non-selectable so you can work around it. This will give you a reference for where the shins and feet are.

If the hands are resting on the other figure's body, and that figure is also moving, then you may need a second (and maybe a third if they're resting on different bones) reference figure, parented to the bone of the other figure they're resting on. Go ahead and make most of the second reference figure but that hand/arm hidden.

Pin the shins and hands of the "moving" figure in place. Make sure your figure has IK on. Move the hip bone as needed.

Unpin the shins and hands and reposition them as closely to your references as you deem necessary for your shot.

It takes a lot longer. [img]images/icones/icon11.gif[/img] But eventually it should look more natural.
Niauropsaka
lagoon predator

Postby jilliangates77 » Thu, 15Oct08 17:30

So, I still can't seem to get my animation skills where I'd like, but, I wanted to share a new experiment I rendered. Yes, the hand is off and yes, there is an issue with the genitals changing because I didn't clear all the prior changes on the timeline.

It's on giphy here:
giphy.com/gifs/fingering-victoria6model-daz3d-xTiTnKeZmbBm7mubdu

The speed change could be better, as could the start / end expression.
jilliangates77
great white shark

Postby tlaero » Fri, 15Oct09 07:15

You should play around with "pinning" in Daz. For instance, you pin the feet in place and then move the hips and the knees bend automatically, etc.

As for whether an animation like this would add or detract from the game, I think you need to animate the woman as well. As it currently stands, it looks wrong that he's moving and she isn't. That "wrongness" supersedes any benefit you'd get from the animation.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

Postby Squeeky » Fri, 15Oct09 08:22

I have been playing around (from time to time) with DAZ.
I am more accustomed to Shark's animation technique; he uses different software.
You have been suggested "timeline" and "pinning".
I can see the benefits of implementing both. Pusooy was mentioned above. The man-woman image is like that. Your "fingering" pic has a few different things going on at the same time. Maybe tlearo noticed that when she mentioned "pinning".

I understand that you are experimenting.
I realise that posing and "pinning" each element against the timeline may initially be a challenge.
I'd like to find time to do exactly what you are trying.

Looking back across this thread I see that somehow we have missed advising this is a "Project". You'll get more support in this area.
Sq.
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby jilliangates77 » Sun, 15Nov01 21:31

Thanks for the pinning tip!

I tried a few animations today, the second one turned out pretty good. It's openGL, otherwise I'd be waiting another few hours to see the two second, sixty frame animation.

I feel like my work is coming along nicely. You can see it here ( and it's SO much better than my first that I posted).
http://imgur.com/6GpSIPP
jilliangates77
great white shark

Postby fleet » Sun, 15Nov01 22:01

jilliangates77 wrote:Thanks for the pinning tip!

I tried a few animations today, the second one turned out pretty good. It's openGL, otherwise I'd be waiting another few hours to see the two second, sixty frame animation.

I feel like my work is coming along nicely. You can see it here ( and it's SO much better than my first that I posted).
http://imgur.com/6GpSIPP

Looking good. Here's a tip you might want to try. Make the animation 10 frames long, then save it. Use the edit feature of Windows Movie Maker (free) to decrease the speed (slow it down).
Last edited by fleet on Mon, 15Nov02 03:36, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my latest adult visual novel "After She Left"
at http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4363
I moderate at http://undertow.club
fleet
Great Master of corals

Postby Niauropsaka » Mon, 15Nov02 03:27

Wow, the new one is really good. Big improvement!
Niauropsaka
lagoon predator

Postby Mortze » Mon, 15Nov02 14:51

Hello.
If I may, I'd like to suggest you to also work on the hips of both characters. When the man's thrusts towards the woman's buttocks, either it has contact or not, there should always be a reaction of her hips, related to the strenght of the man's thrust. Mke her buttocks going slightly up and forward a bit and then lower and back. If you keep this cycle it will enhance some realism.

I find it more important to have the most perceptible motions to happen in the action zone (the hips) rather elsewhere on the body, like the head.
When you are making The Love what are the body parts that move the most? [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby jilliangates77 » Mon, 15Nov02 16:04

I tried fleet's suggestion and made it a bit faster in Photoshop (Windows Movie Maker? I've never used it but PS has some nice Gif controls).

Iray version, sped up slightly is here:
http://imgur.com/mYVtDaF

Agreed on the moving hips; so far, I've made more progress trying new things, uploading here, and then getting feedback than in the months working on things on my own without getting any feedback, which is awesome.

Really appreciate the help everybody!
jilliangates77
great white shark

Next

Return to Projects